The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

I concur on admitting errors on rules interpretations. If for no other reason than I don't want to be "the official last week" who told the coach an incorrect rule and now my colleague has to clean up after me.

My judgement, however, is my judgement. I never error in judgement because, by definition, that is the way I saw it. I think I've told a coach once in 15 years, "If that's what happened and I missed it, then I'm sorry. But, that is not what I saw." Interestingly, I never did receive the video that I requested of that incident.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

I rarely tell a coach that I outright missed a judgment call, but I will tell them what I saw and let them do with that what they want. Sometimes (Once a game maybe) I will just tell them I didn't see what they're asking about or didn't have a good look. The vast majority of coaches around here accept that and move on.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I had a call in the lane from the lead and I must have missed it, but from my angle, it looked like it was a foul, but the players body language it was not, I said to the coach, "I must have missed that one, sorry" He said "well, it's bound to get worse", I said "I hope not", he said, " not the game, my life".

That was it.

But I rarely talk to a coach unless they as a question, then I will explain.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 12:56pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I think it's different for rules versus judgement. If I wish I had a judgement call back I'll tell the coach that if I think he needs to know. Sometimes they don't complain at all, when that happens I don't say anything cuz I don't need to.

If I kick a rule though and I know it I am more likely to admit I kicked it. I kicked a rule last year, looked up the rule at halftime. When I came back out to the floor the coach was standing there holding the rulebook. I stopped him before he said anything and told him I kicked it. He shook my hand and we moved on. And no I did not T him for standing there with the book waiting for me. Still wouldn't.
Surprised he had a rule book handy.