The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Smitty Lanyards

Need an opinion -

Need to order some new lanyards - was looking at the smitty noose lanyard as well as the breakaway version. Anybody using lanyards like these? Any preference on one vs. the other?

I was using the lanyard that hooked onto the clip on the shirt, but the thread for the clip broke, so I need a lanyard that goes around my neck.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 09:42am
M.A.S.H.

All comes down to personal choice.

Both of those lanyards will achieve what you're looking for.

I use the Smitty Noose and have had no problems with it.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

I use the Smitty noose and like it alot.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I've used the noose type lanyard for a long time and really like it.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

I like the noose just based on personal preference and I think it looks the best.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 11:31am
Do not give a damn!!

I had issues with the Smitty type because the loop or the hook came loose. I have used the noose style for years and honestly will not go back at this time. All personal preference as stated. No right or wrong answer, just what you are comfortable with.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 11:35am
TODO: creative title here

Lanyards are cheap... in the $2-$5 range apiece.

At that price, you can afford to buy one of every style and length and see what works best for you.

Personally, I wear the clip-to-the-shirt type lanyards for basketball, because I don't like the feeling of the lanyard around my neck.

For football, I wear the Honig's extra-long lanyards, because I like being able to run with the whistle in my hand instead of in my mouth (I can tuck the lanyard into the collar of the shirt, so I don't feel it on my neck).
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 11:43am
Stubborn Member

A fellow official had a breakaway style lanyard, but had to toss it as the breakaway part broke and would come apart at the slightest touch.

Personally, I don't see the need for a breakaway lanyard, as I've never had a problem with them getting snagged. Of course, I don't like anything around my neck, so I use those that clip to the shirt loop.

Like others have said, you just have to try the different types, and choose what you like best. Thankfully they are cheap, so going by "trial and error" is not costly.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9819 View Post
Need an opinion -

Need to order some new lanyards - was looking at the smitty noose lanyard as well as the breakaway version. Anybody using lanyards like these? Any preference on one vs. the other?

I was using the lanyard that hooked onto the clip on the shirt, but the thread for the clip broke, so I need a lanyard that goes around my neck.
I found 3 or 4 breakaway lanyards at a Play It Again Sports shop a few years ago. Absolutely love them.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

I went ahead and ordered two of the noose style lanyards.

I have always used the shirt clip, but, on one of my newer shirts, the thread that tied the ring to the shirt snapped so I needed the noose style so I can still use the shirt.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

I use the noose style, but I didn't like it at first because I felt it was a bit too long. Then I read (I think on here) that someone pushed the end of the string out of the plastic, cut a couple inches off, then melted it again so it wouldn't pull through the plastic. Now I really like it. You just have to be careful not to cut too much off, or you won't be able to get it around your head.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 06:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I had issues with the Smitty type because the loop or the hook came loose. I have used the noose style for years and honestly will not go back at this time. All personal preference as stated. No right or wrong answer, just what you are comfortable with.

Peace
Me too. I use both, still, but if I'm not using a noose, I keep one on me as a spare.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I use no lanyard at all and have saved myself 10's of dollars over the years as a result

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 02:22pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969 View Post
I use no lanyard at all and have saved myself 10's of dollars over the years as a result
One of the varsity officials who was part of my mentoring crew didn't use a lanyard, and fellow officials would always give him crap about it. Just good-natured, although the one without the lanyard once dropped the whistle out of his mouth during a live ball.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 02:42pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
One of the varsity officials who was part of my mentoring crew didn't use a lanyard, and fellow officials would always give him crap about it. Just good-natured, although the one without the lanyard once dropped the whistle out of his mouth during a live ball.
Interesting. I was an observer to a locker room confrontation where my partner was reamed for not using a lanyard. The guy used phrases like "when you don't use a lanyard you are making it all about you", "the fans see that and it doesn't look good", "this isn't the NBA", and my personal favorite "the state uniform guidelines require a lanyard" (they don't).