The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

The Texas Way

I just heard from my interpreter and we are not allowing the sleeves, with or without padding, unless medically necessary. We are "encouraged" to phrase the medically necessary question in the affirmative during pre-game but if the coach says NO then they take them off.
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
I just heard from my interpreter and we are not allowing the sleeves, with or without padding, unless medically necessary. We are "encouraged" to phrase the medically necessary question in the affirmative during pre-game but if the coach says NO then they take them off.
Oh yes we don't, but high socks are ok (in some cases they look the same). Why do they care what side of the body these things start at?
Old Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree 100%. It is. Do you have a problem with semantics? Semantics is the study of the meaning of words. We have an entire rule on the meaning of words. Maybe we should get rid of Rule 4, because it's semantics.

Semantics? We ain’t got no semantics! We don’t need no semantics! I don’t have to show you any stinking semantics!

What you tell them in this case is irrelevant. What you do is more important.

Who cares if you tell them what they cannot wear. The still have a choice and they know that.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 10:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What you tell them in this case is irrelevant. What you do is more important. Who cares if you tell them what they cannot wear. The still have a choice and they know that.
This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I tell them they have to remove it if they want to play.
... is a lot better than just telling them that they have to take out the earrings, as some officials, not necessarily JRutledge, will oft do. The second half of JRutledge's statement gives the player a choice that other statements that I have heard, from other officials, i.e., "Take out the earrings", do not.

If a player wants top sit on the bench, dressed in uniform, with earrings, because he knows that he won't play, as the coach's punishment because he failed an algebra test, then he has the right to do that, and I don't believe that we can do anything, by rule, about it.

Nit picking note: According to a long lost (unless Nevadaref can help us out) interpretation, I don't believe that he can warm up, with the earrings in, before the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 10:32am.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 10:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

With A Little Help From My Friends (The Beatles, 1967) ...

Quote:
According to a long lost (unless Nevadaref can help us out) interpretation, I don't believe that he can warm up, with the earrings in, before the game.
Seriously guys, I can't find this. A little help, please.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 11:39am.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 11:53am
NFHS Official

We have been instructed by our state that the long leg sleeve with a pad in it, is a compression sleeve and must meet the sleeve criteria.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nit picking note: According to a long lost (unless Nevadaref can help us out) interpretation, I don't believe that he can warm up, with the earrings in, before the game.

Seriously guys, I can't find this. A little help, please.
3-5-1 "The referee shall not allow any team member (italics added) to wear equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgement, is dangerous . . .

And Case Book 3.5 B tells us that during warm-ups, the prohibition is in force, regarding jewelry.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 12:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pick A Prize From The Top Shelf ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
3-5-1 "The referee shall not allow any team member to wear equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgment, is dangerous . . . And Case Book 3.5 B tells us that during warm-ups, the prohibition is in force, regarding jewelry.
Thanks Rob1968.

3.5 SITUATION B: The officials are on the court prior to the game observing the
team warm-ups. One official notices that a member of Team A is wearing a decorative
necklace. RULING: The official should inform the team member to remove
the jewelry immediately. Upon compliance, the team member may continue to
warm up with his or her teammates and may start the game without penalty.

So maybe, this (below) isn't true, and, maybe, whomever posted it, is an idiot?

Quote:
If a player wants top sit on the bench, dressed in uniform, with earrings, because he knows that he won't play, as the coach's punishment because he failed an algebra test, then he has the right to do that, and I don't believe that we can do anything, by rule, about it.
Comments (about the situation, not about the idiot part)?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 12:05pm.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

The jewelry rule applies to team members. If he is not eligible to become a player, even though in uniform, he is not a team member. I don't determine player eligibility -- the coach does.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 01:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks For The Reply And Clarification ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
The jewelry rule applies to team members. If he is not eligible to become a player, even though in uniform, he is not a team member. I don't determine player eligibility -- the coach does.
What if his name is in the book but the coach insists that he won't play that night? Earrings in, or earrings out, while on the bench, in uniform? (Assume that the player in question never warmed up with the team, but you spot him on the bench.)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 02:22pm.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

This sounds like an academic exercise, more than a practical one. I have asked players warming up to remove jewelry and been told they are injured and not playing. I don't challenge that.

I would leave it alone.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 02:29pm
NFHS Official

3.5 SITUATION B:

The officials are on the court prior to the game observing the team warm-ups. One official notices that a member of Team A is wearing a decorative necklace.

RULING: The official should inform the team member to remove the jewelry immediately. Upon compliance, the team member may continue to warm up with his or her teammates and may start the game without penalty.

2.4.5 SITUATION A:

Before the contest both coaches verify that their teams are legally equipped. In the third quarter A1 is discovered wearing a ring.

RULING: A1 must leave the game and remove the jewelry and may re-enter the game at the next substitution opportunity, but no penalty is assessed against A1 or the coach.

It's nothing for having jewelry on, just get them out of the game and make them take it off before re-entering.

Last edited by OKREF; Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 02:33pm.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 02:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Interesting, Very Interesting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
... just get them out of the game and make them take it off before re-entering.
So, he actually doesn't have to take it off? He just can't play in the game, or warmup, with it on? Interesting? So if an official tells a kid wearing a uniform, whose name may, or may not, be in the book, to take off the earring, as I've heard a few officials state, then, by rule, the kid doesn't have to comply? He can legally sit on the bench, in uniform, in the book, or not in the book, wearing two carat diamond stud earrings? Interesting?

Practically speaking, I just tell kids that they can't play, or warmup, with jewelry. After that, they decide what to do, and in a very few cases they've decided not to remove earrings. Anything else is just an academic exercise for testing purposes, but don't get me wrong, as I do believe that such academic exercises carry some value.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 03:18pm.
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 02:40pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
So, he actually doesn't have to take it off? He just can't play in the game, or warmup, with it on? Interesting? So if an official (not JRutledge) tells a kid wearing a uniform, whose name may, or may not, be in the book, to take off the earring, then, by rule, the kid doesn't have to comply?
That's how I read it. Just don't let them enter with it on.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
We have been instructed by our state that the long leg sleeve with a pad in it, is a compression sleeve and must meet the sleeve criteria.
We just got word from HS activities association in Kansas that the compression sleeves with padding covering the knee are knee pads and aren't subject to the rule.