The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Knee pads, braces, etc. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96987-knee-pads-braces-etc.html)

MD Longhorn Fri Jan 10, 2014 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 917698)
Could be. I personally haven't made anybody take off or change that equipment. However, around these parts, at the college and high school levels, they are being interpreted as sleeves.

I should check to see what my state website says, if anything.

Fair enough. I suspect the mileage on this topic varies greatly by geography.

Raymond Fri Jan 10, 2014 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 917701)
Fair enough. I suspect the mileage on this topic varies greatly by geography.

In fact, we have an association meeting Sunday. I'm shooting an email to the interpreter so maybe he can answer it front of everybody, and at least we'll all be on the same page.

grunewar Fri Jan 10, 2014 04:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 917703)
In fact, we have an association meeting Sunday. I'm shooting an email to the interpreter so maybe he can answer it front of everybody, and at least we'll all be on the same page.

Good call. We have a meeting on Wed, and I'll do the same.

letemplay Fri Jan 10, 2014 04:54pm

Same state

I look forward to hearing back from you VA guys as it's pertinent.

BillyMac Fri Jan 10, 2014 06:04pm

Online Shopping ...

Here's what one variety is called on Amazon: Mcdavid Extended Compression Leg Sleeve with Hexpad Protective Pad.

Amazon.com: Mcdavid Extended Compression Leg Sleeve with Hexpad Protective Pad: Sports & Outdoors

So, at least in this specific case, absolutely nobody can call this anything but a sleeve. It's right there in black and white, and who knows better what to call it more than the manufacturer. They certainly know more than a bunch of basketball officials, drinking beer, sitting in front of their computer monitors. Wait? I'm being told ... Not everyone? Who are you calling an alcoholic? Never mind about the beer part.

grunewar Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 917705)
I look forward to hearing back from you VA guys as it's pertinent.

Our interpreter said, "the long leg sleeves with kneepads are leg compression sleeves."

Terrapins Fan Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:28pm

Here in Maryland, I spoke to our state interpreter, I sent him pictures. He said, what I said. If it has a pad, it can be any color. no matter how long the sleeve is so long as it is not attached to the compression pants.

There are no guide lines on knee pads, elbow pads or socks.

Sleeves, without pads, there are now guidelines.

If you tell a kid to take off the knee pads and he gets injured, I'd rather NOT be you.

Raymond Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 917734)
Our interpreter said, "the long leg sleeves with kneepads are leg compression sleeves."

Ditto for my board.

BillyMac Sat Jan 11, 2014 06:47am

Language ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 917736)
... no matter how long the sleeve is ...

But, in Maryland, it's not a sleeve? Even if the interpreter called it a sleeve (see red above)? Silly "Fashion Police" rules.

Note: According to the "When in Rome ..." clause, I don't have a problem with the Maryland interpretation, but I still think that it's funny.

BillyMac Sat Jan 11, 2014 06:53am

Nit Picking ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 917736)
If you tell a kid to take off the knee pads and he gets injured, I'd rather NOT be you.

Officials never tell players that they have to remove something (uniform, equipment, jewelry, etc.) We tell them that they can't play while wearing the item in question.

It's like you guys would never tell me that I have to remove my black belt. You would just tell me that I can't officiate while wearing a black belt, and leave the rest up to me.

Rob1968 Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:55am

This is from an email sent to our area officials, by the Assignor/Interpreter:

TO: Basketball Officials,

"We are entering into the region play for our schools and I want to review a few items of importance as you continue to officiate your games.

1.Players are not to wear the one piece, long tights under their uniform.

If you suspect they are being worn by a player, ask them to verify that the compression shorts stop at the knee.

Some knee pads actually have the appearance of a long tight with the pad at the knee, but these are legal."

Unfortunately, the wording leads one to believe that if what appears to be a leg sleeve has a pad, there would be no color restrictions, because he considers it to be a "pad"; but if it has no pad, it would come under the color requirements of a "sleeve".

Non-clarification at its finest . . .

JRutledge Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 917746)
Officials never tell players that they have to remove something (uniform, equipment, jewelry, etc.) We tell them that they can't play while wearing the item in question.

It's like you guys would never tell me that I have to remove my black belt. You would just tell me that I can't officiate while wearing a black belt, and leave the rest up to me.

I tell them they have to remove it if they want to play. To me that is semantics. They know we are not giving them an option about playing.

Peace

BillyMac Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:45pm

With Apologies To Gold Hat ......

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 917759)
To me that is semantics.

Agree 100%. It is. Do you have a problem with semantics? Semantics is the study of the meaning of words. We have an entire rule on the meaning of words. Maybe we should get rid of Rule 4, because it's semantics.

Semantics? We ain’t got no semantics! We don’t need no semantics! I don’t have to show you any stinking semantics!

RookieDude Sat Jan 11, 2014 03:21pm

The following statement is from our Washington Officials Association. (WOA)

"Sleeves,
Headbands,
Wristbands

This
year,
the
requirements
have
been
simplified
concerning
color.
This
should
be
strictly
enforced.
By
not
enforcing
the
requirements
concerning
sleeves/headbands/wristbands,
you
are
setting
up
a
negative
situation
for
future
crews.
Wristbands
and
headbands
must
be
the
same
color
for
all
team
members.
If
players
are
wearing
leg
and
arm
sleeves,
all
team
members
must
have
the
same
color.
There
is
no
requirement
that
the
headband
and
sleeves
are
of
the
same
color."

No mention of "kneepads"...

rockyroad? How are you guys handling it?

Camron Rust Sat Jan 11, 2014 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 917770)
The following statement is from our Washington Officials Association. (WOA)

"Sleeves,
Headbands,
Wristbands

This
year,
the
requirements
have
been
simplified
concerning
color.
This
should
be
strictly
enforced.
By
not
enforcing
the
requirements
concerning
sleeves/headbands/wristbands,
you
are
setting
up
a
negative
situation
for
future
crews.
Wristbands
and
headbands
must
be
the
same
color
for
all
team
members.
If
players
are
wearing
leg
and
arm
sleeves,
all
team
members
must
have
the
same
color.
There
is
no
requirement
that
the
headband
and
sleeves
are
of
the
same
color."

No mention of "kneepads"...

rockyroad? How are you guys handling it?

Interesting way to format an announcement. I guess they are only talking about leg sleeves with this since arms sleeves are more horizontal. :eek::D

Or maybe it was a way to emphasize verticality in an indirect way.