The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wisconsin vs Iowa (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96945-wisconsin-vs-iowa.html)

cmhjordan23 Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:17pm

Wisconsin vs Iowa

I don't do college so question for college officials. Are you instructed to call a foul on defense anytime hand is on body when offensive player makes a move. It just seemed like a lot of ticky tack fouls being called in this game. I thought contact doesn't always constitute a foul. Especially if offense is not placed at a disadvantage.

In my opinion the officials were not consistent. Passed on some obvious fouls and called what fans like to call cheapys.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:15am

"When those four things [placing and keeping a hand/forearm on an opponent, putting two hands on an opponent, continually jabbing an opponent and using an arm bar] happen against a player with the ball, they're fouls,'' he said. "They're not maybe a foul, sometimes a foul, not late in the game they're not a foul. They're fouls.''

NCAAM Are the new rules working? - ESPN

Raymond Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 916949)
... ticky tack fouls ...

...In my opinion the officials were not consistent. Passed on some obvious fouls and called what fans like to call cheapys.

I hate that term, "ticky tack fouls". The folks who use it seem to be saying, "I know it's a foul by rule, but the officials shouldn't call it".

As far as passing on obvious fouls, the amount of contact allowed in the paint, especially between post players, is not the same as that allowed on the perimeter.

BillyMac Mon Jan 06, 2014 02:18am

Advanced Tip ...

Any illegal use of hands, arms or body, offense or defense, that slows, prevents, impedes the progress, or
displaces an opposing player, due to the contact, is a foul and must be called. When a player places both
hands on a ball-handler, it is a foul. When a player continuously places a hand on the ball handler, it is a foul.
When a player continuously jabs a hand or forearm on a ball-handler, it is a foul. When a player jabs a hand,
or forearm, on an opponent to control his or her movement or gain an advantage, it is a foul. If the dribbler’s
rhythm, speed, balance, or quickness are affected, we should have a hand-checking foul. Tactics using the
hands, arms or body that permit any player, offense or defense, to control (hold, impede, push, divert, slow
or prevent) the movement of an opposing player is a foul.

JetMetFan Mon Jan 06, 2014 05:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 916961)
As far as passing on obvious fouls, the amount of contact allowed in the paint, especially between post players, is not the same as that allowed on the perimeter.

Something many people forget. Rules for defending someone with their back to the basket in the lane area are different than an offensive player facing the basket.

Raymond Mon Jan 06, 2014 08:17am

Iowa Coach (Video Request)

Since we are discussing this game, I heartell that the Iowa HC got tossed, and supposedly bumped an official in the action leading up or after the ejection.

Reading the play-by-play, it appears to happen around the 11:51 mark of the 2nd half.

pfan1981 Mon Jan 06, 2014 08:53am

Iowa Coach Loses Cool - ESPN Video - ESPN

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a 26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJ nI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:10249060&th ruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

He was out of control. Those were no brainer techs and Wisconsin made all 4 technical free throws. In NCAA they must shoot the technicals first, in high school, we would have shot the shooting foul free throws then the technical throws.

Pfan

bob jenkins Mon Jan 06, 2014 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfan1981 (Post 916977)
Iowa Coach Loses Cool - ESPN Video - ESPN

He was out of control. Those were no brainer techs and Wisconsin made all 4 technical free throws. In NCAA they must shoot the technicals first, in high school, we would have shot the shooting foul free throws then the technical throws.

Pfan

Shoot the Ts, then resume at POI (with some exceptions).

JRutledge Mon Jan 06, 2014 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 916949)
I don't do college so question for college officials. Are you instructed to call a foul on defense anytime hand is on body when offensive player makes a move. It just seemed like a lot of ticky tack fouls being called in this game. I thought contact doesn't always constitute a foul. Especially if offense is not placed at a disadvantage.

In my opinion the officials were not consistent. Passed on some obvious fouls and called what fans like to call cheapys.

Well this was a foul. It was very obvious. I cannot speak for the rest of the game.

Peace

Rob1968 Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 916971)
Something many people forget. Rules for defending someone with their back to the basket in the lane area are different than an offensive player facing the basket.

Please, elaborate - written references, philosophical references, application of rules. (I'm doing even more mentoring of newer officials this season, and will appreciate insight on expressing that concept.)

JetMetFan Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 916995)
Please, elaborate - written references, philosophical references, application of rules. (I'm doing even more mentoring of newer officials this season, and will appreciate insight on expressing that concept.)

Rob, I'll send you a PM later today (actually tonight). I just got home from work and I have to grab a nap before my game.

If someone is able to help, please do.

bob jenkins Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 916995)

It's an NCAA concept and might not apply to NFHS (depending on your state).

You can get some of this from the NCAA (W, at least) arbiter site, if you belong.

Rob1968 Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 916996)
Rob, I'll send you a PM later today (actually tonight). I just got home from work and I have to grab a nap before my game.

If someone is able to help, please do.

Thank you. I'll look for it.

Rob1968 Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 916997)
It's an NCAA concept and might not apply to NFHS (depending on your state).

You can get some of this from the NCAA (W, at least) arbiter site, if you belong.

Thanks, Bob. The concept is understandable, and I probably won't present it, in depth, to most of the newer officials I'm mentoring. As with so many things, the presentation of the concept and the application are of utmost interest.

KCRC Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:31pm

Defensive Foul Before Ejection

Iowa fan here. I was embarrassed by our coach last night. No excuse for his actions. Hopefully he'll learn from this and conduct himself with much better composure in the future.

Regarding post defense being discussed in this thread, can anyone post video of the foul immediately prior to the media timeout before the coach's meltdown. Just under 12 minutes in the second half I believe. Would anyone consider a player control foul for displacing the defender? If not, would the defender be within the rules to be more aggressive in "holding his ground"? Is holding his ground the back to the basket post defense that JetMetFan is referring to?

Thanks in advance.