The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 11:42am
Often wrong never n doubt

I got spoiled. Advice for working T in 2 man.

After working 4 nights doing 3 man I went back to two man last night. It was two high pressure teams that love to trap. Any advice for covering traps on the opposite side of the floor when working from the T? I move well over to the center circle to get a better look. This seems to help but I worry about a pass getting picked off and then me being in the way if the transitioning players before I can get out if the way. Ap
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 11:43am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
After working 4 nights doing 3 man I went back to two man last night. It was two high pressure teams that love to trap. Any advice for covering traps on the opposite side of the floor when working from the T? I move well over to the center circle to get a better look. This seems to help but I worry about a pass getting picked off and then me being in the way if the transitioning players before I can get out if the way. Ap
I would say to the lead, since he's undoubtedly watching the sideline if the play is close enough, that you don't mind calling a foul if he sees one. That's such a tough play in two man, and not the right time to be territorial (if there ever is a right time in two man).
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 11:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I have no idea what others will think of this, and I've never heard of it being taught; but I would talk to your partner.

If T finds the trap is opposite from his position, up high, don't be afraid to cross over there as T and get a better look. The L could recognize this rotation and simply move back. This would allow you as T to get out of the way and officiate the trap.

I wouldn't use this with a partner who is new, though.

Conversely, just accept the risk and know that you're in a better position in to officiate from the middle of the court than you would be from the opposite side.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Not only move to the center circle -- but also move to the backcourt. This will give you more time to react if the ball is stolen. And, the players have a way to avoid you (usually).
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 12:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water Color Memories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If T finds the trap is opposite from his position, up high, don't be afraid to cross over there as T and get a better look. The L could recognize this rotation and simply move back. This would allow you as T to get out of the way and officiate the trap.
IAABO now gives us this as an option, to be pregamed, before utilizing it. Veteran officials, like myself, have no problems with this concept.

Back the olden days of the "Cadillac Position" (trail always to left side of the court; direction of the offense), we occasionally found ourselves working "opposite", i.e., not in the "Cadillac Position". When this happened the trail would look for an opportunity to move back to the left side, and then the lead would move over to the right side.

When this option is offered to young officials, especially here in "Two Person Connecticut", they look at us like we're from Mars. "What do you mean that the trail changes from side to side, and then the lead changes sides, while the kids are playing basketball? Impossible. No way". Silly young'un monkeys.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 02:02pm
We don't rent pigs

Do what you have to do to see the play, but angle is more important than distance. You miss just as much, if not more, from being too close to a play than being too far. In spite of what a coach may say, you can make a call from "way over there" when necessary.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not only move to the center circle -- but also move to the backcourt. This will give you more time to react if the ball is stolen. And, the players have a way to avoid you (usually).
Yep.

And the lead should be ready to balance out of you get stuck over there after a turnover.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 06:01pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
I worry about a pass getting picked off and then me being in the way if the transitioning players before I can get out if the way.
If it happens, it happens. (and it's happened to me 2 or 3 times already this season).

Just another one of the inherent risks of 2-whistle officiating.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 07:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Get where you need to officiate that play. After that play resolves itself, the crew can adjust its positioning appropriately.