The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump Stop + Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96900-jump-stop-foul.html)

johnnyg08 Mon Dec 30, 2013 04:51pm

Jump Stop + Foul

What do you think about this play? Proper mechanics? Posted here for discussion purposes. What, if anything, can we learn from this play?

http://goo.gl/m38Zs4

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aatIX1xtV9g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JetMetFan Mon Dec 30, 2013 05:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 916316)
What, if anything, can we learn from this play?

First and foremost, don’t shoot video clips off of a TV screen :rolleyes:

Second, that’s not continuation. I doubt Red 11’s habitual motion to attempt a try includes a jump stop then taking off again. If he put up the shot while he was contacted in the air prior to the jump stop then it's continuation.

Raymond Mon Dec 30, 2013 05:25pm

I am liberal with continuous but not for jump stops.

OKREF Mon Dec 30, 2013 06:19pm

In my corner of Rome, we have been instructed to call this a travel. A jump stop in which the feet don't land simultaneously is a travel. This is from our state association.

APG Mon Dec 30, 2013 06:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 916329)
In my corner of Rome, we have been instructed to call this a travel. A jump stop in which the feet don't land simultaneously is a travel.

That is simultaneous in my books.

Rich Mon Dec 30, 2013 07:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 916330)
That is simultaneous in my books.

Mine too.

deecee Mon Dec 30, 2013 07:41pm

Quote:

In my corner of Rome, we have been instructed to call this a travel. A jump stop in which the feet don't land simultaneously is a travel. This is from our state association.

If they mean the exact same time then I think they are asking too much of any human being. Might as well take jump stops out of basketball.

johnnyg08 Mon Dec 30, 2013 07:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 916320)
First and foremost, don’t shoot video clips off of a TV screen :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Remington Mon Dec 30, 2013 08:01pm

Gather?

Quote:

Although it's not clear, it does not appear he has gathered the ball until both feet are in the air. He has the ability to then establish a pivot foot. I would not call this a travel even if you felt the feet didn't land simultaneously.

Adam Mon Dec 30, 2013 08:03pm

No way I'm calling this a travel unless I clearly hear two thuds. I'll make that call, and I've had a coach start telling me from across the court that it was a jump stop. I looked at him, and mimicked the landing by taking two steps in place. He smiled and let it go.

OKREF Mon Dec 30, 2013 08:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 916332)
If they mean the exact same time then I think they are asking too much of any human being. Might as well take jump stops out of basketball.

Yes, at the same time. If one lands before the other it isn't simultaneous.

AremRed Mon Dec 30, 2013 08:27pm

Traveling or continuation doesn't matter because I'm calling a charge.

deecee Mon Dec 30, 2013 09:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 916336)
Yes, at the same time. If one lands before the other it isn't simultaneous.

Except in reality we give some leeway in this.

Nevadaref Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:42am

If the issue the OP wished to raise was a discussion of continuous motion, then I don't believe that this will end up being so clear, following some discussion.

First the text of the rule:
"If an opponent fouls after a player has started a try for goal, he/she is permitted to complete the customary arm movement, and if pivoting or *stepping when fouled, may complete the usual foot or body movement in any activity while holding the ball. These privileges are granted only when the usual throwing motion has started before the foul occurs and before the ball is in flight."

My personal opinion aside, a good case can be made that the player was stepping while being fouled and completing the jump stop should be considered the usual foot or body movement in such a case. Just because it is a rare situation doesn't mean that it isn't covered by the rule.

For those who support awarding FTs (or counting a goal) for a player who is fouled while gathering the ball and then completes his stepping movement prior to following through with his attempt for goal, what is the difference here with the jump stop?

johnny d Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:46am

Quote:

Does your state consider the play where the offensive player stops his dribble or catches the ball with both feet off the ground a jump stop? If so, they are wrong to insist that the player has to have both feet land simultaneously for the jump stop to be legal.