The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 11, 2003, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

The recent question from Mick about FIBA rules and Mark Padgett's love of FIBA got me thinking. Maybe some of you Americans would like to try a little FIBA rules quiz. Those familiar with FIBA might want to withhold their answers. Here goes:

1 Jump ball to start the game. Non-jumper A4 has one foot in frontcourt and one foot in the backcourt. The ball is tapped to A4 who jumps, catches the ball and comes down with one foot in the frontcourt and one foot in the backcourt. Did A4 commit a backcourt violation?

2. In FIBA, the shot clock is a) 24 seconds b) 30 seconds or c) 35 seconds

3. A4 shoots the first of two FTs. The ball is rolling on the rim when B4 jumps up and knocks the ball away. Legal or goaltending?

4. A4 shoots the last of two FTs. The ball is rolling on the rim when B4 jumps and knocks the ball away. Legal or goaltending?

5. There are two seconds left on the shot clock when Team A is inbounding on Team B's endline. The throw-in is fumbled by a Team A player and there a scramble for the ball. Three seconds later, A4 finally gets control of the ball and takes a shot. He just beats the shot clock. Was this situation handled properly by the timer and officials?

6. A5 has a foot on the 3pt line and takes a shot. B5 is running back on defense and jumps from the 3pt area and tries to block the shot. B5 deflects the shot a little bit but the ball still goes in the basket. Is this a 2pt FG or a 3pt FG?

7. A4 shoots and just after the ball goes in the basket, B4 pushes A5. Is this a personal foul or a technical foul?

8. B4 slaps the backboard and because the board was vibrating, A4's shot does not go in. What is the penalty to B4? a) technical foul b) basket interference c) technical foul and basket interference

9. A5 has one personal foul and one technical foul when he commits his 2nd technical foul of the game. Is A5 ejected?

10. A5 is falling out of bounds when he throws the ball off of B4's leg and out of bounds. Does Team A get a new shot clock when play resumes?

Good luck.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2003, 08:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Here's my answers to your FEEBLE quiz:

1) Who cares?
2) I don't care.
3) I don't give a dump.
4) Fuggeddaboutit.
5) You've confused me with someone who cares.
6) I couldn't care less.
7) I fell asleep reading this question.
8) Huh? What? Huh?
9) I still don't care.
10) I don't speak French.

Don't take it personally. It's not you - it's FEEBLE.

Old Mon Aug 11, 2003, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Here's my answers to your FEEBLE quiz:

1) Who cares?
2) I don't care.
3) I don't give a dump.
4) Fuggeddaboutit.
5) You've confused me with someone who cares.
6) I couldn't care less.
7) I fell asleep reading this question.
8) Huh? What? Huh?
9) I still don't care.
10) I don't speak French.

Don't take it personally. It's not you - it's FEEBLE.

The answer to #8 is "Here's a quarter. Call someone that cares."

Sounds like a country song.

Which country, I don't know.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Aug 11, 2003, 09:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

Which country, I don't know.
I give U.P.
Old Mon Aug 11, 2003, 11:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
The answer to #8 is "Here's a quarter. Call someone that cares."
How much is that in Euros?

Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 09:07am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
The recent question from Mick about FIBA rules and Mark Padgett's love of FIBA got me thinking. Maybe some of you Americans would like to try a little FIBA rules quiz. Those familiar with FIBA might want to withhold their answers. Here goes:

1 Jump ball to start the game. Non-jumper A4 has one foot in frontcourt and one foot in the backcourt. The ball is tapped to A4 who jumps, catches the ball and comes down with one foot in the frontcourt and one foot in the backcourt. Did A4 commit a backcourt violation?

3. A4 shoots the first of two FTs. The ball is rolling on the rim when B4 jumps up and knocks the ball away. Legal or goaltending?

4. A4 shoots the last of two FTs. The ball is rolling on the rim when B4 jumps and knocks the ball away. Legal or goaltending?

5. There are two seconds left on the shot clock when Team A is inbounding on Team B's endline. The throw-in is fumbled by a Team A player and there a scramble for the ball. Three seconds later, A4 finally gets control of the ball and takes a shot. He just beats the shot clock. Was this situation handled properly by the timer and officials?

6. A5 has a foot on the 3pt line and takes a shot. B5 is running back on defense and jumps from the 3pt area and tries to block the shot. B5 deflects the shot a little bit but the ball still goes in the basket. Is this a 2pt FG or a 3pt FG?

7. A4 shoots and just after the ball goes in the basket, B4 pushes A5. Is this a personal foul or a technical foul?

8. B4 slaps the backboard and because the board was vibrating, A4's shot does not go in. What is the penalty to B4? a) technical foul b) basket interference c) technical foul and basket interference

9. A5 has one personal foul and one technical foul when he commits his 2nd technical foul of the game. Is A5 ejected?

10. A5 is falling out of bounds when he throws the ball off of B4's leg and out of bounds. Does Team A get a new shot clock when play resumes?

Good luck.
It's been a few years since I reffed FIBA rules at a tournament in Montreal, so I've forgotton many of the rules. Plus, since nobody yet has taken a stab at these, I will give a go:

(1) I will say no. The only rationale I can think of is that there is no rationale, since you didn't specify which foot came down first, as to why it would be a violation.

(2) 24 seconds.

(3) Goaltending.

(4) Legal.

(5) Of course not.

(6) 3 points.

(7) Personal.

(8) I'll say it's a T.

(9) I should hope so.

(10) I should hope not.

Mike
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 09:43am
In Memoriam

Congratulations,Mike. You got 30%!

However,that's 30%US, which is the same as 84%Canadian. Which means that you pass. In Canada only,though.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Jurassic Referee is right; 30%. I will wait before revealing which are correct.
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 10:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Jurassic Referee is right; 30%.
He is?

Howinthehell did that happen?
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Jurassic Referee is right
He is?

Howinthehell did that happen?
First time for everything!
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

My apologies to Juggling Referee. I was looking quickly this morning and thought that 3 were correct. In fact 6 of 10 are correct.

Oops!
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 12:08pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Talking

Quote:
My apologies to Juggling Referee. I was looking quickly this morning and thought that 3 were correct. In fact 6 of 10 are correct.

Oops!
So I am qualified to ref in the US and Canada! However, if 30% US translates to 84% Cdn, then 60% US must make me one of Canada's best.

Edit:

Do I need a green card to ref in the US?

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Aug 12th, 2003 at 05:22 PM]
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

No. You can have one foot in both areas like that.

24 Seconds. (2000)

If the player touched any part of the basket (net, backboard) -- Violation - basket interference. Violation of 41.2.2 (Interference with the ball occurs during a shot for a field goal when a player touches the basket or backboard whilst the ball is in contact with the ring.)

If the player doesn't touch the ring, it's legal.

If the player touches the basket unit -- Violation - basket counts. Violation of 57.5.2.4 and 57.5.3.2.

Yes. To restart the 24-second clock from a dead ball, the player must GAIN CONTROL of the live ball, as stated in Article 11.1.

That's a quirk -- a three, since B5 deflected the ball.

Personal. Article 49.1.1 states a T does not involve contact with an opposing player. Because this does, it is a personal foul.

Basket interference. If this is habitual by a player, official has the right to call an Unsportsmanlike Foul. (The FIBA version of an "Intentional")

No. Only a Disqualifying Foul is grounds for ejection -- one is all you need for the ejection. Coaches with two Personal Unsportsmanlike technicals (Type C) are ejected, as are three Bench (Type B) technicals -- assistant coaches, bench, and team followers. Multiple delay of game or dunk hangings is not grounds for an ejection unless the gray shirt calls the DQ. However, certain types of what we call a T is an FIBA Disqualifying Fouls and eject the player. FIBA's definitions are Personal, Technical-Player, Technical-Bench, Technical-Coach, Unsportsmanlike, and Disqualifying.

No. B4 has to intentionally kick the ball to have the 24-second reset.

Bobby
Deut 31:6-8
Old Thu Aug 14, 2003, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

Bobby, your answer basket interference to #8 is right but habitual slapping of backboard should lead to a T, not unsportsmanlike foul as there is no contact involved
Old Mon Aug 18, 2003, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Good luck.

All right. Let's answer these for the two or three people who actually give a darn.

1. Backcourt violation. FIBA does not have an exception on a jump ball like NCAA. And, in FIBA, you have frontcourt status as soon as either foot or the ball is in the frontcourt.

2. 24 seconds.

3. Goaltending, same as other rules.

4. Legal. In FIBA, once a shot (or last FT) hits the rim, it is free to be slapped away or tapped in with no regard for the area above the cylinder.

5. Handled correctly. In FIBA, the shot clock only begins with control. Since Team B never obtained contol either, the shot clock operator holds the clock until control is established. Foolish rule.

6. 3pt FG. Same applies if a 3pt FG is attempted and deflected by a defender who was standing in 2pt area. Counts as a 2pt FG.

7. Personal foul. In FIBA, personal fouls can be called whether the ball is live or dead.

8. Basket interference. If only Bobby Knight had been using FIBA rules, he would have had an argument against Ted Valentine in that infamous game.

9. No. A player in FIBA could have 4 technical fouls and still be playing. He is disqualified when he has a total of five fouls (personal or technical combined). In reality, the ref can call a technical foul or a disqualifying foul, so you just make your 2nd technical a disqualifying foul and he is gone.

10. No. Same as other rules.

Thank you.