The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   No horn when game ended!! Uggg (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96817-no-horn-when-game-ended-uggg.html)

jritchie Thu Dec 19, 2013 01:55pm

No horn when game ended!! Uggg

Home 72 Visitors 70, 6 sec to go V1 takes 3 pt shot for the win, misses, V2 rebounds, put back no good, V3 rebounds, I glance at the clock and it reads 1.9 sec, V3 shot is no good, V4 jumps up to tap ball in, me expecting a horn at any time, V4's tap goes in, NO HORN EVER SOUNDED!!!! Home says time expired before tap, visitors of course saying it's good! We got together and talked about it, I told them when the last shot was taken there was 1.9 and then since I was the lead I was watching the action, and said it would of been really close but have no idea without the sound of the horn. Neither partner could not definitely know if it would of sounded either, so we ended up counting the basket because of the unknown, and went to overtime! Then we went to a second overtime, horn did sound to end the first one, crazy stuff. Home team ended up winning by 2, when the visitors 3 to win went in and out at the buzzer that actually sounded this time.

So was this our only option? to count the basket and play overtime.

swkansasref33 Thu Dec 19, 2013 02:06pm

You don't have definite knowledge either way, so that is a tough one. I would be of the opinion that if you have 2 shots within 1.9 seconds on the clock it would be extremely tough to judge, especially on a tap. Either way someone is going to be unhappy, but I would go with my gut feeling on this one and stick with it. You can always go to the table and ask..... not saying they'll give you a non-biased opinion, but it is an option as they are an extension of the crew. If you go with a good shot, the home coach can't really argue a whole lot as it's his court, his equipment and by that line of thinking, technically his fault (might not tell him that though).

johnny d Thu Dec 19, 2013 02:29pm

Fire the clock operator. They either failed to turn the auto horn on or turned it off at some point during the game. Tell game management to take them out back and stone them to death.

BryanV21 Thu Dec 19, 2013 02:32pm

Since you are to go by the sound of the horn, and their was no horn, then I don't believe you had a choice. The only way you can waive off the basket would be if one of you saw that time had expired before the shot was attempted.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 19, 2013 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by swkansasref33 (Post 915150)
, but I would go with my gut feeling on this one

2.13 "... unless (the referee) has knowledge to alter the ruling the goal shall count if it was successful ..."

IOW, if you're not sure time has expired, then count the basket.

Toren Thu Dec 19, 2013 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 915186)
2.13 "... unless (the referee) has knowledge to alter the ruling the goal shall count if it was successful ..."

IOW, if you're not sure time has expired, then count the basket.

This, need knowledge to not count it. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, you guys did well.

chseagle Thu Dec 19, 2013 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 915164)
Fire the clock operator. They either failed to turn the auto horn on or turned it off at some point during the game. Tell game management to take them out back and stone them to death.

I second this idea.

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 19, 2013 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 915164)
Tell game management to take them out back and stone them to death.

And don't stop until you hear the horn. ;)

BryanV21 Thu Dec 19, 2013 03:58pm

When reading the Officials Manual regarding another situation, I came across this...

In 3.3.6, section E. Final Decision:, it states that "the timer should only be consulted on a last-second tap or try when the red/LED light fails to illuminate or the timer's signal is not heard."

I wouldn't feel right about leaving this call up to the timer, as he/she is sure to have a bias for the home team. Perhaps ask him/her what they saw, but not allow it to directly make the decision.

Adam Thu Dec 19, 2013 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 915205)
When reading the Officials Manual regarding another situation, I came across this...

In 3.3.6, section E. Final Decision:, it states that "the timer should only be consulted on a last-second tap or try when the red/LED light fails to illuminate or the timer's signal is not heard."

I wouldn't feel right about leaving this call up to the timer, as he/she is sure to have a bias for the home team. Perhaps ask him/her what they saw, but not allow it to directly make the decision.

I wouldn't do this within earshot of either coach. Frankly, unless you plan on using this information, I wouldn't ask; as it's only going to inflame the home coach if the timer says it was late.

Rob1968 Thu Dec 19, 2013 04:02pm

Quote:

The key word "consulted" has been expressed to mean "asked for further information", and the Referee is still to make the decision. JMHO

chseagle Thu Dec 19, 2013 04:10pm

Quote:

The timer is an extension of the officiating crew, however the R has final say.

Also if the timer is biased, they should not be there being they are an extension of the officiating crew.

Adam Thu Dec 19, 2013 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 915209)
The timer is an extension of the officiating crew, however the R has final say.

Also if the timer is biased, they should not be there being they are an extension of the officiating crew.

Ideal world and all that.

chseagle Thu Dec 19, 2013 05:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 915223)
Ideal world and all that.

Very true about that :cool:

jritchie Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:00am

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions! The Coach from the Home school e'mailed us and apologized for teh incident with the clock and said he has ordered red lights to go on his backboard this morning and a new clock system. Hopefully will be ready for the next game after Christmas! :)