The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow State-by-State Mechanical Differences

Here in Ohio there are a few things we do differently than other states.

We are instructed not to use the NFHS team control signal when signaling a team control foul. Instead we are told to use the NFHS player-control signal for all player- and team-control fouls. This has been the case since OHSAA added the mechanic eight years ago.

Ohio officials in Central Ohio are told not to sound the whistle when the horn sounds to end a period. Even if there is a last-second shot that is going to be a close call, officials are being told not to hit the whistle and to only wave the basket off immediately.

Are there differences in other parts of the country?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc2010 View Post

Yes. Many. Almost any thread that deals with mechanics will have some "but in my state ..." comment.

Most of which don't really matter and most of which are only noticeable to other officials.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Wait, there's more:

Quote:

We are instructed not to use the NFHS team control signal when signaling a team control foul. Instead we are told to use the NFHS player-control signal for all player- and team-control fouls. This has been the case since OHSAA added the mechanic eight years ago.

Ohio officials in Central Ohio are told not to sound the whistle when the horn sounds to end a period. Even if there is a last-second shot that is going to be a close call, officials are being told not to hit the whistle and to only wave the basket off immediately.

That's recommended for all parts of the state. It's also not recommended to use the whistle for bringing in subs and the "long switch" mechanic that was brought back this year by the Fed has also been nixed. Yeah!
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 05:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
That's recommended for all parts of the state. It's also not recommended to use the whistle for bringing in subs and the "long switch" mechanic that was brought back this year by the Fed has also been nixed. Yeah!
I'm not sure I could function. A whistle when bringing in subs is something I do without even thinking. Couldn't imagine not doing it -- it sounds so foreign when a JV officials *doesn't* do it.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
How do you let your partners know you are bringing in subs without a whistle...a loud yell or maybe a Ka Kaw-Ka Kaw?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 06:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Land Of Steady Habits ...

Head and wrist bands, along with knee and arm sleeves, must all be the same color.

Point to floor for two-point field goal try when shooter has foot touching three point line.

Use not closely-guarded signal.

Team members are not allowed to congregate at division line or on school logo during introductions.

Players may wear concussion headbands (any color).

Coaching Box must be marked. If home coach and/or home management refuse to designate coaching box
with tape, the home team will not use a coaching box for that game. However, the visiting team will be
allowed a coaching box. Notify Board Commissioner the next day.

Captains-Head Coaches-Officials pre-game meeting should occur prior to start of game. If the head coach
refuses to attend the meeting, notify Board Commissioner, who will notify the school athletic
director and CIAC.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
How do you let your partners know you are bringing in subs without a whistle...a loud yell or maybe a Ka Kaw-Ka Kaw?
There is this thing called a horn that is supposed to sound when there is a sub at the table. Sometimes this horn thing suffers an operator error and a whistle is needed.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 06:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
For me, it depends on the noise level in the gym and the situation. Saturday I was in a huge gym that only had 1 set of bleachers pulled out and about 50 fans. I just yelled out "subs" during free throws. But all other situations I hit my whistle.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Players may wear concussion headbands (any color)
What is a concussion headband and how does it differ from a normal headband??
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
For me, it depends on the noise level in the gym and the situation. Saturday I was in a huge gym that only had 1 set of bleachers pulled out and about 50 fans. I just yelled out "subs" during free throws. But all other situations I hit my whistle.
That is disconcerting

We actually get a mixed bag here and a lot does depend on the noise level - some whistles and some yelling, sadly no Ka Kaw-Ka Kaw (although I have been tempted to give it a try).

Our brand spanking new Washington Mechanics Manual actually states for subs, "...the responsible official should blow the whistle (if needed to get attention) and hold the 'stop the clock' signal..."
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
There was a picture of it on this forum within the past week, I think
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
There is this thing called a horn that is supposed to sound when there is a sub at the table. Sometimes this horn thing suffers an operator error and a whistle is needed.
Exactly. And what we have found is that it really promotes good mechanics and communication between officials. The official bringing in the subs is sure to position himself with hand up where the administering official can see him/her and the administering official I mean is really careful not to put the ball in play until eye contact is made and the A-OK is given. It also improves the performance of the table personnel too because we remind the horn operator that we will require a horn after you are comfortable the subs have been recorded. And if the operator forgets, we just remind him with "horn please" rather than a whistle and that's usually the last time that happens.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2013, 07:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Seek And Ye Shall Find (Matthew 7:7) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We are instructed not to use the NFHS team control signal when signaling a team control foul.
In Georgia, the player control signal disappeared 4-5 years ago. We use the Team Control signal on all offensive fouls. Also…..Walking while reporting is encouraged.
Old Sun Dec 15, 2013, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
In Georgia, the player control signal disappeared 4-5 years ago. We use the Team Control signal on all offensive fouls. Also…..Walking while reporting is encouraged.
The PC signal is the dumbest signal in the book. It is difficult for me to go back and forth between FIBA with their offensive foul signal and FED with the goofy PC signal.

PC fouls need to be sold. The hand to the back of my head signal is the weakest signal in the book.

I don't like walking while reporting- Coming to a stop gives the scorer that extra second to make sure they are on the same page as you.