The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

What's in the bag?

Hola,

Besides toiletries and a change of clothes, what's in your bag? I have two pairs of pants, two shirts, two socks, two undershirts, two compression shorts, a plethora of whistles and lanyards, extra shoe laces, contracts, rules books, mints, ranking cards (our officiating number that coaches use to rank us online).

Wish I had a court diagram to go over coverages and situations.

My big reason for this post, is do I "need" two pairs of shoes? Also, if you wear contacts or glasses, do you bring a spare set?

I wear a mostly black pair of somewhat athletic shoes to the contest that could be an emergency fill in.

Curious what I can add to the bag,

pfan
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 11:09am
Courageous When Prudent

I pack only what I need for the game: pants (1 or 2); shirts (usually at least 2), compression shorts, undershirt, 1 pair of socks, couple whistles, toiletries, 2 towels (sweat & shower), clean underwear, and rule books.

I keep a permanent spare bag in my trunk with old an shirt, pants, sneakers, socks, whistle, and towel.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Dec 09, 2013 at 11:11am.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I pack only what I need for the game: pants (1 or 2); shirts (usually at least 2), compression shorts, undershirt, 1 pair of socks, couple whistles, toiletries, 2 towels (sweat & shower), clean underwear, and rule books.

I keep a permanent spare bag in my trunk with old an shirt, pants, sneakers, socks, whistle, and towel.
I also carry a few bandaids, some 2" athletic tape, and black shoe polish.

I opened my earlier afternoons to help our assignor, by working more sub-varsity games with all the new officials we have in our area.
Some of my colleagues think I'm extreme to carry 2 assn. jackets, but, this season, I've already had 3 occasions to lend one to a partner so we could go out with jackets on. And, I loaned one to a friend that followed me, and had left his at a previous gym . . .
Several years ago, my partner opened his bag and realized he'd grabbed his football gear, so he dressed in my extra pants, shirt and jacket, and my game shoes - I polished my street Nikes and wore them.
I guess it's just the old boy scout motto in me . . .
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

What kind of bag are you guys using to carry all your gear in?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbogcpa View Post
What kind of bag are you guys using to carry all your gear in?
I've been using a folding, travel case, with wheels and an extendable handle for about 20 years. Back when I first got it, I got a lot of comments from colleagues such as "Are you running away from home?" "Is the kitchen sink in there, too?" etc.
I like that my uniform isn't stuffed into a small bag, and that my assn. jacket(s) don't come out all wrinkled when I get to a game site.
For the last several years, most of the officials in our area are using similar cases.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

I highly recommend a Texas Fold-em --- does a great job keeping everything wrinkle free...

Purchase Officials Supplies - Texas Fold 'Em
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Add: sewing kit (pick one up the next time you are at a hotel -- at least one that you don't rent by the hour!), pen / pencil and paper (never know when you might need to make some notes for a later game report), needle, NSAIDs,

I agree that the extra uniform stuff (especially the heavy shoes) goes in a bag in the car -- if it's really an emergency you can go back out to get it and you don't bneed to be hauling it in every night).

I really liked the cheap duffel / gym bag I got from Target about 15 years ago -- but it finally broke down. Now I use an eBag that rolls well, but doesn't have quite the compartments / pockets that I'd like to have.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 12:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I haven't carried extra pants in years. I'll regret that someday. I also don't carry a spare whistle in my pocket - if mine breaks, we'll have a short delay while I get one from my bag.

Needle is in my jacket pocket at all times.

I carry one uniform (usually 2 shirts - one with a flag and one without). I repack my bag for every game.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 01:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

I bring two of everything at the very least. Good thing, my pants split on Saturday in the locker room.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 02:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Sad story......

Last Fri I was assigned a tourney game between two very good private schools. Get to the game and the R says, "you have a patchless shirt don't you?" Me - "I carry lots of spare everything." (as is alluded to in this thread, I carry two of almost everything). But, in this case, NO PATCHLESS SHIRT, as I rarely do private schools.

So, during the pre-game, I am metculously cutting off the patch from one of my shirts, with my ole Swiss Army Knife.

Just shows to go you......even the best prepared.......ouch!
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

What about those who wear glasses and contacts? Do you pack a spare set?

Our area has adopted, "Pull three people from any area for any given night" philosophy, what are the odds of some refs having flags/no flags, pullover/zip up jacket, different shoes, etc. I felt a bit weird the other night, when my jacket failed to match my two partners.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 04:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Meds!
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 04:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
What about those who wear glasses and contacts? Do you pack a spare set?

Our area has adopted, "Pull three people from any area for any given night" philosophy, what are the odds of some refs having flags/no flags, pullover/zip up jacket, different shoes, etc. I felt a bit weird the other night, when my jacket failed to match my two partners.
I don't worry about the crew all having flags, except for one supervisor who has stated he wants us wearing flags.

In HS games I do like for us have the same type of shirt (sidepanel,non-side panel, or new VHSL shirt).
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 05:17pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In HS games I do like for us have the same type of shirt (sidepanel,non-side panel, or new VHSL shirt).
BNR - do you have the new VHSL shirt?

We ordered ours at our clinic two months ago and they haven't come in yet.....nice (sarc).
Old Mon Dec 09, 2013, 05:39pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Our area has adopted, "Pull three people from any area for any given night" philosophy, what are the odds of some refs having flags/no flags, pullover/zip up jacket, different shoes, etc.

I felt a bit weird the other night, when my jacket failed to match my two partners.
Flags?? And don't feel bad about the jacket....asking referees to match type of shoes and jacket is asking waaay too much and is unnecessary.

Edit: I thought he meant flags as in the kind soccer assistant referees use, not flags on the uniform. I still don't think having to match flag/flagless shirts should matter at all.

Last edited by AremRed; Mon Dec 09, 2013 at 05:53pm.