The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   UNC/Mich St. (Clip Added) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96699-unc-mich-st-clip-added.html)

MOofficial Thu Dec 05, 2013 08:26am

UNC/Mich St. (Clip Added)

I don't know the exact time in the second half this happened, so I apologize for that.

Michigan St player has the ball for a throw-in on their baseline in their front court. UNC player is guarding the ball jumping up and down and then he proceeds to jump about 2 or 3 feet into the out of bounds and lands right in front of the Mich St. player. There was nothing called and they had a mic close enough to the official and he yelled at Tom Izzo "he didn't touch the ball."

Still delay of game warning if that's the first time it happened for the specific situation or a technical if that's the second. It was pretty bad and obvious.

Just didn't know if someone recalled seeing this or if someone could pull the video. It would help if I had the exact time.

APG Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:37am

Get a general time and I can pull a clip.

MOofficial Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:06am

I have found the times when the TO's were called, which timeout it was I can't recall

The three timeouts were at the following times in the second half:

10:52
7:48
5:55

I know it happened in Mich St front court when they were inbounding the ball on the baseline. They called a TO right after this happened because they couldn't get the ball in. If you can find it, your the David Blaine of officiating.

I guess I just wanted to look at it again, not the fact to see if it was a violation or not. I know its at least a warning. So if you cant pull it, don't worry about it!

Thanks!

APG Thu Dec 05, 2013 01:13pm

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dSH43VYm4Os" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

johnny d Thu Dec 05, 2013 01:17pm

Wow. I would like to hear the conversation between the official administering the throw in and the assignment guy on that one.

AremRed Thu Dec 05, 2013 01:18pm

Delay of game, call it. At least the official didn't call 5 seconds after the Michigan State player pointed at the UNC player.

Raymond Thu Dec 05, 2013 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 912996)
Wow. I would like to hear the conversation between the official administering the throw in and the assignment guy on that one.

One of your favorite posters can get you first-hand info on that. :cool:

johnny d Thu Dec 05, 2013 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 913006)
One of your favorite posters can get you first-hand info on that. :cool:

Other than myself, I have no favorite posters:D

just another ref Thu Dec 05, 2013 02:07pm

Coach, advise your man making the throw-in to step forward and draw contact if this happens again.

Adam Thu Dec 05, 2013 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 913016)
Coach, advise your man making the throw-in to step forward and draw contact if this happens again.

....because I don't have the stones to make the call otherwise, no matter how obvious....

Camron Rust Thu Dec 05, 2013 05:56pm

If officials at that level don't call it it must not have happen the way that it appears on video. :eek:

Toren Thu Dec 05, 2013 07:40pm

I can't think of any reason not to call this. The offensive player points at the player as he clearly crosses the line.

Now if the offensive player would have been smart, he would have merely touched the player with the ball while out of bounds.

just another ref Thu Dec 05, 2013 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 913054)
....because I don't have the stones to make the call otherwise, no matter how obvious....

No, I would still dare to hope it gets called next time but might as well get an intentional foul call out of the deal.

Raymond Fri Dec 06, 2013 08:39am

In NCAA-M, there is no clear guidance as to when to call a tech on this play:

"p. Opponents of the thrower-in shall not repeatedly have any part of their person beyond the vertical inside plane of any boundary line before the ball has crossed that boundary line."

twocentsworth Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:56pm

Guys, look at the video again....the Lead official wasn't looking at the defender when he jumped out of bounds. He didn't call it because he didn't see it.

Whether he wants to admit it (to Izzo or anyone else) is another story....