The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Long switch on rebounding foul?

Probably a stupid question, but, I know we do a long switch when we are changing directions, on such plays as offensive foul or team control fouls, when we go the other way.

My question is when Team A is shooting, and then Team A commits a foul on the rebound, we would also do the long switch then too right?

My partner said that Team B came down with the rebound and then was fouled by Team A, so we wouldn't, is there a difference if Team B didn't come down with the ball and both teams were battling for the rebound and Team A foulds then? still trying to get the correct time to long switch and when to not. Thanks
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
Probably a stupid question, but, I know we do a long switch when we are changing directions, on such plays as offensive foul or team control fouls, when we go the other way.

My question is when Team A is shooting, and then Team A commits a foul on the rebound, we would also do the long switch then too right?

My partner said that Team B came down with the rebound and then was fouled by Team A, so we wouldn't, is there a difference if Team B didn't come down with the ball and both teams were battling for the rebound and Team A foulds then? still trying to get the correct time to long switch and when to not. Thanks
Did the lead make the call? If so, and you are still going the other way then yes you would do the long switch. Doesn't matter how the fould happened, if the L calls it and play is moving in the other direction then you long switch.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
Did the lead make the call? If so, and you are still going the other way then yes you would do the long switch. Doesn't matter how the fould happened, if the L calls it and play is moving in the other direction then you long switch.
Some (or all) of this is area-dependent, but as soon as B controls the ball (i.e., the count starts; B can be granted a TO), then old-L becomes the new-T, and there is no long switch -- report and go back.

If neither team has (initial) control after A has lost TC because of the try, the old-L is still old-L and you switch.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Yes, and that is what I thought too, but partner said to treat it as if Team B got the ball and Team A was pressing and fouled, he said we don't switch then so we wouldn't switch on that type of rebounding foul either since the foul was after Team B already secured the ball.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Some (or all) of this is area-dependent
Bingo
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

hate long switches

long switches are pretty pointless in the grand scheme..... seem like a time waster to me.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 01:49pm
Always Carded Ref

might help

By Todd Korth

NFHS this season made a three-person mechanics change that involves the lead official calling a foul with the ball going from the backcourt to frontcourt with no free throws. With the change, the lead reports the foul and then stays tableside as the new lead or center.

However, there has been some uncertainty by some officials whether or not the new trail should switch when a foul is called in the backcourt going to the frontcourt in a three-person crew. NFHS recently confirmed that mechanic remains the same as in the past and there is no switch. The trail reports the foul and then returns to administer the throw-in. That means, that once team B has secured the ball and a count has started (meaning the former lead is the new trail), you will not switch but simply report the foul and move back to the trail as in previous seasons.

For example, if A4 rebounds B2’s field-goal attempt, A4 starts to dribble the ball and the new trail calls a foul on B3 near the basket, the new trail will report the foul and administer the throw-in nearest the spot of the foul. If A2 makes a basket and the new trail calls a foul on A1 after B3 catches the throw-in pass near the endline, the new trail will report the foul and administer the throw-in at the spot nearest the foul.

I had the same question earlier as well and I emailed a more seasoned official and he sent me this of off my referee
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 12:45am
Stubborn Member

We're told "no long switches". Might just be a thing we do in central Ohio.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
In TX we are not doing long switches either...whether possession had changed or not.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
We're told "no long switches". Might just be a thing we do in central Ohio.
All of Ohio is no long switches.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 11:09am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
All of Ohio is no long switches.
I wasn't sure, thanks.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 11:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

We've been doing long switches for a few years. Not really a big deal for 3-4 calls per game, really.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 09:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stupid, Or Lazy ???

Here in my little corner of The Constitution State, we switch on every foul. Every single foul. All the time. Every game.

A few years ago we tried no long switches on fouls in the backcourt where there was no change of possession, i.e., A1, guarded by B1, is dribbling in his backcourt and B1 fouls A1. Backcourt? Yes. Foul? Yes. Change of possession? No. So, no long switch. Well the two year experiment failed because many couldn't figure out what a change of possession meant, and that during a try, there is no team possession, until a player gains possession. We had guys not switching on player control fouls, and on all rebounding fouls.

So, now we're back to long switches, and short switches, and in between switches. Every single foul. All the time. Every game.

Two person games. Long switches. Connecticut really is The Land That Time Forgot. Now, where did I leave my buggy whip?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Dec 06, 2013 at 08:25am.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

IAABO is switch on every foul. Sometimes you go for a run. Sometimes you stay put. Call a offensive foul as a trail and stick around and inbound the ball. Makes up for the times you might have to go for a job.

For 3 whistle games we use FIBA mechanics. Their position is easy- go opposite the table.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Just a thought. Shouldn't we all do what the NFHS (rules/officials manual) says to do? Should be same throughout, just my opinion.