The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Live ball, clock not running (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96442-live-ball-clock-not-running.html)

Adam Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:24pm

Live ball, clock not running

Stealing this from FB to generate discussion:

White leading by 2 points with 0:02.0 left, has one free throw left of what was two, calls a timeout. After the timeout, white pulls all their players other than the shooter all the way back to inside the defensive 3 point line. White misses the last free throw. Black allows the ball to land on the ground and instead of trying to make a play, they stand over it (kind of like a football player trying to down a punt). No action occurs other than a white player verbally suggests he pick the ball up and the black player says he won't because he is going to try to draw a foul on his 3/4 court shot when a white player comes to defend him.
Play is completely stopped. White is staying away, black is waiting for white to come over. Neither team has possession, though black is standing next to it.

AremRed Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:55pm

Under NFHS I would probably stand there forever until something happened.

Under NCAA I would warn about the actionless contest rule and then use it.

billyu2 Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 909603)
Stealing this from FB to generate discussion:

White leading by 2 points with 0:02.0 left, has one free throw left of what was two, calls a timeout. After the timeout, white pulls all their players other than the shooter all the way back to inside the defensive 3 point line. White misses the last free throw. Black allows the ball to land on the ground and instead of trying to make a play, they stand over it (kind of like a football player trying to down a punt). No action occurs other than a white player verbally suggests he pick the ball up and the black player says he won't because he is going to try to draw a foul on his 3/4 court shot when a white player comes to defend him.
Play is completely stopped. White is staying away, black is waiting for white to come over. Neither team has possession, though black is standing next to it.

Interesting situation. I guess I would just whistle a held ball and go with the arrow in order to get the game resumed. If white has the arrow, too bad for black. They could have picked up the ball.

mtn335 Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:58pm

NFHS has an actionless contest provision also - 10-1-5. Team technical foul.

bob jenkins Fri Nov 01, 2013 01:04pm

End the game. (after telling black that's what you will do)

jritchie Fri Nov 01, 2013 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtn335 (Post 909611)
NFHS has an actionless contest provision also - 10-1-5. Team technical foul.

So call a double team technical foul for actionless contest on both teams and go with the point of interruption, which no team had control, so go with arrow!

AremRed Fri Nov 01, 2013 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 909613)
So call a double team technical foul for actionless contest on both teams and go with the point of interruption, which no team had control, so go with arrow!

Why both teams? White has no obligation to try to secure an offensive rebound on a missed free throw in this situation. That's why there is no rule requiring offensive players to occupy marked lane spaces. Call the team tech on black as per NFHS 10-1-5 after a warning.

Adam Fri Nov 01, 2013 01:41pm

Neither team has an obligation to secure the rebound, IMO.

jritchie Fri Nov 01, 2013 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 909626)

10.1.5 says someone does

jritchie Fri Nov 01, 2013 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 909618)
Why both teams? White has no obligation to try to secure an offensive rebound on a missed free throw in this situation. That's why there is no rule requiring offensive players to occupy marked lane spaces. Call the team tech on black as per NFHS 10-1-5 after a warning.

because both teams are allowing this to become an actionless contest. You can't just blame one team for it.

Raymond Fri Nov 01, 2013 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 909618)

Neither team has an obligation to secure a rebound, but both teams have allowed it to become an actionless contest. Double T + AP Arrow solves the problem.

Camron Rust Fri Nov 01, 2013 02:08pm

Go pick up the ball, without blowing the whistle, and throw it at a player (or hand it to one) so you can start the clock!!! :eek: :D

Adam Fri Nov 01, 2013 02:38pm

I actually like Bob's answer.

The rules allow us to shorten the length of a period at the agreement of both teams. I'm sure the team that's ahead wouldn't have a problem. I'd be willing to take the trailing team's lack of action as an indication that they don't want to continue. I'd warn them first, of course.

I'm not inclined to go with IW (or double TF), because black gets an advantage if they get the throw in (they get to throw the ball down court with the clock stopped).

APG Fri Nov 01, 2013 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 909636)
Go pick up the ball, without blowing the whistle, and throw it at a player (or hand it to one) so you can start the clock!!! :eek: :D

That's taking 2-3 to new heights! :cool:

Sharpshooternes Fri Nov 01, 2013 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 909626)

I agree with this

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 909628)
10.1.5 says someone does

Where and why?