The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What you got? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96329-what-you-got.html)

The_Rookie Sun Oct 20, 2013 01:52pm

What you got?

A DOUBLE PF is called in frontcourt while A1 shot is in the air. Basket is good.

1) Count the basket?

2) Double PF = POI?

3) Since no Team Control due to shot in flight..NO POI BUT go to A/P?

Thanks!

maven Sun Oct 20, 2013 01:58pm

4.19.8C

It's not quite your situation, but it covers a double foul that occurs during a try.

You need to review what POI means, as one possibility is the AP arrow. 4-36-2

bob jenkins Sun Oct 20, 2013 01:58pm

Yes, yes, no.

POI = B's ball with the run of the end-line.

There's a spcific case on this.

If the try was unsuccessful, go to the arrow -- and the inbounds spot is the spot of the foul.

The_Rookie Sun Oct 20, 2013 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 908101)
Yes, yes, no.

If the try was unsuccessful, go to the arrow -- and the inbounds spot is the spot of the foul.

Thanks Bob..as always you lay it out clearly so we can understand the reasoning and not just say..look it up:)

maven Sun Oct 20, 2013 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 908104)
Thanks Bob..as always you lay it out clearly so we can understand the reasoning and not just say..look it up:)

Too bad Bob won't be on the court the next time you need to go to the POI and you don't know the 3 options. :(

APG Sun Oct 20, 2013 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 908099)
A DOUBLE PF is called in frontcourt while A1 shot is in the air. Basket is good.

1) Count the basket?

2) Double PF = POI?

3) Since no Team Control due to shot in flight..NO POI BUT go to A/P?

Thanks!

After ALL double fouls, you resume play at the POI. The POI is the AP arrow when there's no team control and when there's no made FG, end of period, or no infraction is involved.

The_Rookie Sun Oct 20, 2013 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 908107)
After ALL double fouls, you resume play at the POI. The POI is the AP arrow when there's no team control and when there's no made FG, end of period, or no infraction is involved.

The goal being successful was the sticking point..thanks for the clarity:)

Zoochy Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 908101)
Yes, yes, no.

I believe, in NFHS, the throw-in (inbounds spot) is the location of the ball for a Double Foul.

maven Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 908183)
I believe, in NFHS, the throw-in (inbounds spot) is the location of the ball for a Double Foul.

Nice catch. 7-5-3b

bob jenkins Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 908183)

I'd like to blame the cold medication I have been taking. I'd really like to.

Adam Mon Oct 21, 2013 01:53pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 908105)
Too bad Bob won't be on the court the next time you need to go to the POI and you don't know the 3 options. :(

maven makes a good point. You'll get a lot of answers here that go beyond, "Here's the rule, see what you think." But the point is that unless you actually know the POI rule.

IOW, it's nice to have a little of both. That's what I got when I first started coming here, and it's served me well.

MD Longhorn Mon Oct 21, 2013 02:57pm

Quote:

This exactly.

bob jenkins Mon Oct 21, 2013 03:26pm

Quote:

There's always a balance between giving a man a fish and teaching a man to fish. I can't tell you how many times I've found something else I didn't know when looking for the answer to a question.

rockyroad Mon Oct 21, 2013 03:55pm

Quote:

And of course this type of attitude toward someone who really wants to learn the correct ruling on a situation is soooo tremendously helpful. It really is one of the main reasons we do such a great job of keeping younger/newer officials around for such long careers.:(

maven Mon Oct 21, 2013 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 908218)
And of course this type of attitude toward someone who really wants to learn the correct ruling on a situation is soooo tremendously helpful. It really is one of the main reasons we do such a great job of keeping younger/newer officials around for such long careers.:(

The bit you\'ve quoted was not my first response. In post #2, I offered a case play and the rule that defines POI.

The OP complained that I was just telling him to "look it up."