The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I've had this (above) exactly once in thirty-two years, with no other problems in almost a thousand of high school games. What's wrong with, "East Oshkosh basket by Joey Smith. Assist from Johnny Jones", after a score?
Nothing to my mind.

What's wrong (imho) is:
"East Oshkosh with the ball, Johnny Smith dribbling up the floor, passes to James Jones who's double teamed, passes to Bill Baxter who's wide open in the corner - THREE!!!!!!!"

Those announcers who think they are on the radio (whose listeners can't see the action) are annoying.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 03:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Easy. PA announcers treating the game as though it’s an And-1 mix tape and, my guess is, a few others commenting on calls. Someone called Indianapolis and the rest is NFHS rule history.

I had a BV game near the end of the ’11-12 school year where there was a student handling the PA and he was basically doing play-by-play during the action as though we were in the park. I told him to stop and he said no one had complained about it all season, which I can believe.
If that is true, then address that issue. Otherwise I do not see this as a problem. I have never really been in a game where there is play-by-play at the high school level for sure. Usually they comment on who made a basket and who fouled. Otherwise I do not even notice them. And when the game gets close, I really do not hear them. But to just make a rule for the last seconds when it would be a similar problem in the middle of the game seems to overreach.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 03:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If that is true, then address that issue. Otherwise I do not see this as a problem. I have never really been in a game where there is play-by-play at the high school level for sure. Usually they comment on who made a basket and who fouled. Otherwise I do not even notice them. And when the game gets close, I really do not hear them. But to just make a rule for the last seconds when it would be a similar problem in the middle of the game seems to overreach.

Peace
Who said anything about the final seconds? I missed that.
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 03:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Who said anything about the final seconds? I missed that.
If you are outlawing what happens in the final two minutes, you are worried about the final seconds too.

I just do not see this as a problem that many are doing or where it interferes with players in critical moments.

I will use the wording APG referenced in the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
NFHS
1-18

The playing of music/sound effects shall only be permitted during pregame, time-outs, intermission and post-game. The use of artificial noisemakers shall be prohibited. The announcer shall be prohibited from making announcements during the game, such as "two minutes to go."
Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 03:53pm.
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 04:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Editorial Comments ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
"East Oshkosh with the ball, Johnny Smith dribbling up the floor, passes to James Jones who's double teamed, passes to Bill Baxter who's wide open in the corner - THREE!!!!!!!"
How about, "Oh no. How could she miss that free throw"?

The play by play bothered me the entire first half. I was only the umpire and the referee decided, at halftime, to just leave it alone. Until we heard this (above), and then he shut it down as fast as he could run to the table. We both followed up with phone calls to our assigner, who agreed with us and said that he would contact the athletic director the next morning and back us both up.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I've had this (above) exactly once in thirty-two years, with no other problems in almost a thousand of high school games. What's wrong with, "East Oshkosh basket by Joey Smith. Assist from Johnny Jones", after a score?
I agree with others...nothing. If I were to have that in my game, I wouldn't even bat an eye.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 06:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I agree with others...nothing. If I were to have that in my game, I wouldn't even bat an eye.
I probably would not be that aware that even took place.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 07:06pm
Administrator

Decades and decades ago, I had the PA announcer removed from a women's Div. I game because he would announce who committed the foul before either my partner or I even had reported the foul to the Table. The problem was this: He would do this whenever there was a foul was committed in the "paint" where there would be a group of players and he would always be wrong. The Head Coaches would listen to him and then get upset with my partner or me when we would report a different player. I told him to wait until we had reported the foul but he told me he could do whatever he wanted. To make matters worse we knew each other personally because he was the PA announcer at the Univ. of Miami's Mark Light Field. Needless to say, I did not lose any sleep over it.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 06:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

Premature Announcement ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Centuries and centuries ago, I had the PA announcer removed from a women's Div. I game because he would announce who committed the foul before either my partner or I even had reported the foul to the table.
Same problem in a high school game. I didn't have announcer removed, I just asked him to delay the announcement for few seconds until I reported the foul.

Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.: Why didn't you just take the megaphone away from him.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
I’m 99.9% certain the PA announcer being a student is the only reason the BV thing happened in my game. He probably did the running commentary in the park during the summer and thought it was okay. My guess is he didn’t do PA for every BV game – I’d have to think someone in stripes would’ve told him to stop before I did…in February. But now I do remember mentioning it to a couple of officials that offseason and getting responses like, “Oh yeah, that kid, yeah, I let him do it.” Gee guys, thanks.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 03:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Gee, Thanks Guys ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I’d have to think someone in stripes would’ve told him to stop before I did in February. But now I do remember mentioning it to a couple of officials that offseason and getting responses like, “Oh yeah, that kid, yeah, I let him do it.” Gee guys, thanks.
This post (above) could have just as easily been about illegal equipment; headbands, wristbands, undershirts, jewelry (rings, earrings, necklaces, etc.), arm sleeves, leg sleeves, tights, decorative hair ribbons, etc. "But Mr. BillyMac, Mr. DeNucci, who refereed our game Tuesday night, let us wear different color headbands".

I don't care what the damn "Fashion Police" rules are, let's all (locally) just cover them with same consistency. If a rule on Tuesday is similar to a rule on Friday then let's call it the same way both nights. Wait? I'm being told ... What? A different thread? Never mind.