The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA - no more jackets (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96077-ncaa-no-more-jackets.html)

Matt S. Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:32am

NCAA - no more jackets

Just got word from my assignor that we are no longer wearing jackets during pregame...is this coming down from the top or a regional thing? Don't have my CCA manual yet...

bob jenkins Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:38am

was optional last year in NCAAW

JRutledge Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:48am

Not hearing this on the NCAA Men's side. Then again we have not had meetings yet either.

Peace

Camron Rust Tue Sep 10, 2013 01:33pm

I've got a jacket for sale if someone needs one! :)

SWMOzebra Tue Sep 10, 2013 02:25pm

Everything I'm hearing on the women's side is the crew wears the same jacket (either with or without the CCA logo) or they go without. I won't buy the "new" jacket unless one of my assignors requires it.

JeffM Tue Sep 10, 2013 03:45pm

Purpose of the jacket?

The gyms aren't so cold that I need the jacket to stay warm. The jacket doesn't usually serve any purpose for me and I've wondered if it should. Does anybody keep anything in their pocket which might be useful (e.g., extra whistle, needle, shoestring, Advil, cell phone)? Once, my partner was running late and I had my cell phone in my jacket pocket to get updates, but my partner was on the floor with about 6 minutes before game time.

JRutledge Tue Sep 10, 2013 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffM (Post 904713)
The gyms aren't so cold that I need the jacket to stay warm. The jacket doesn't usually serve any purpose for me and I've wondered if it should. Does anybody keep anything in their pocket which might be useful (e.g., extra whistle, needle, shoestring, Advil, cell phone)? Once, my partner was running late and I had my cell phone in my jacket pocket to get updates, but my partner was on the floor with about 6 minutes before game time.

I keep a air needle and sometimes an extra whistle or even some notes for the table to make sure we discuss. At the HS level we put down an ID number, so I might have that on a card in my pocket. But it does not serve a major purpose other than I think it looks sharp and it is traditional.

Peace

Camron Rust Tue Sep 10, 2013 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 904716)
I keep a air needle and sometimes an extra whistle or even some notes for the table to make sure we discuss. At the HS level we put down an ID number, so I might have that on a card in my pocket. But it does not serve a major purpose other than I think it looks sharp and it is traditional.

Peace

Similar...needle, whistle, and normal lanyard as a backup (I use a smitty normally and I have had the attachment loop on the shirt break).

Adam Tue Sep 10, 2013 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 904717)
Similar...needle, whistle, and normal lanyard as a backup (I use a smitty normally and I have had the attachment loop on the shirt break).

Me too, but I keep the lanyard in my pants pocket. Otherwise it'll be the third quarter when my loop snaps.

BillyMac Tue Sep 10, 2013 04:25pm

Camouflaging The Zebra Stripes ...

Zebra stripes provide great camouflage in the grasslands of Africa, but not on a basketball court. The jacket camouflages, or covers, the camouflage zebra stripes, so we "blend in" until we're ready to start the game. With jackets on, fans won't start yelling at us, or throwing stuff at us, until we take the jackets off, and start the game.

Not really an rational opinion based on any facts, just an off the cuff comment. Sure it's posted in jest, tongue in cheek, but there may be a tiny bit of truth in it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 904716)
... needle ... looks sharp and it is traditional.

Agree, agree, and, agree again. You hit the trifecta.

RookieDude Tue Sep 10, 2013 04:43pm

Quote:

Does anybody keep anything in their pocket which might be useful?

...reading glasses...to look the book over. Makes for a good laugh with the table as I usually say while pulling out my "readers" and looking around sheepishly..."Don't tell anyone!" :D

bob jenkins Wed Sep 11, 2013 07:30am

In addition to (most of) the above -- Sometimes (especially at the HS level) we fill out vouchers at the table, and my copy of the voucher goes in the jacket.

Welpe Wed Sep 11, 2013 08:34am

When it actually does start getting cold, I find the jacket useful for keeping warm a lot of the small, drafty gyms I find myself working in. Not a problem probably at the collegiate level.

JRutledge Wed Sep 11, 2013 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 904754)
When it actually does start getting cold, I find the jacket useful for keeping warm a lot of the small, drafty gyms I find myself working in. Not a problem probably at the collegiate level.

In these small college gyms? You might need the jacket more considering the small buildings some of the places teams play. Fewer seating and not as big to get to the floor. Some of floors are right off the entrance. Then again I live in the Midwest too, so there you go.

Peace

tjones1 Wed Sep 11, 2013 09:08am

Quote:

Whistle/lanyard, needle, gum.