The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA - no more jackets (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96077-ncaa-no-more-jackets.html)

Welpe Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 904755)
In these small college gyms? You might need the jacket more considering the small buildings some of the places teams play. Fewer seating and not as big to get to the floor. Some of floors are right off the entrance. Then again I live in the Midwest too, so there you go.

Peace

OK well the voice of experience. I will defer to you then. :)

JRutledge Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 904762)
OK well the voice of experience. I will defer to you then. :)

I am sure in other parts of the country like Texas, the weather is certainly different during the basketball season.

Peace

yooperbballref Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:04pm

I like the look of the jackets during pregame. When starting out, I couldn't wait to get to the varsity level so I could wear the jacket.

I always keep a needle in the pocket although rarely used.

Welpe Wed Sep 11, 2013 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 904765)
I am sure in other parts of the country like Texas, the weather is certainly different during the basketball season.

Peace

Certainly, but it still gets cold here. Not dig your car out of a snowbank to get to work kind of cold, but cold. :)

Rich Wed Sep 11, 2013 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yooperbballref (Post 904768)
I like the look of the jackets during pregame. When starting out, I couldn't wait to get to the varsity level so I could wear the jacket.

I always keep a needle in the pocket although rarely used.

Rarely used? I think we took air out of 50 of the 60 balls we used last season. Basketballs, in general, are horribly over-inflated.

JRutledge Wed Sep 11, 2013 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 904784)
Certainly, but it still gets cold here. Not dig your car out of a snowbank to get to work kind of cold, but cold. :)

Unless Texas spends a great deal of the winter months below 30 degrees, I would not call 50s and 60s to be cold. Then again a laugh at my relatives in Florida and Texas when they claim they are cold and it is in the low 60s. ;)

Peace

MD Longhorn Wed Sep 11, 2013 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 904765)

Peace

Yes, I'm trying to understand this concept of needing jackets in a gym...

Rich Wed Sep 11, 2013 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 904790)
Yes, I'm trying to understand this concept of needing jackets in a gym...

I like wearing a jacket during warmups. I'd hate to carry a needle in my pants pocket, first of all, and I'm actually cold in many of our HS gyms before a game starts.

Then again, in a perfect world, we wouldn't have to stand there for 20 minutes (that's what it is in our state) watching teams warm up. We'd come out at about 12 minutes, do a captain's meeting, check the book, and go back in until the clock was at 2 minutes.

And I'd leave my jacket in the locker room -- which is what we do sometimes when both teams go in.

JRutledge Wed Sep 11, 2013 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 904792)
I like wearing a jacket during warmups. I'd hate to carry a needle in my pants pocket, first of all, and I'm actually cold in many of our HS gyms before a game starts.

Then again, in a perfect world, we wouldn't have to stand there for 20 minutes (that's what it is in our state) watching teams warm up. We'd come out at about 12 minutes, do a captain's meeting, check the book, and go back in until the clock was at 2 minutes.

And I'd leave my jacket in the locker room -- which is what we do sometimes when both teams go in.

Our state wants us to come out when the team enters the floor. That could be 20 minutes, 15 minutes or 10 minutes based on when the prelim game gets over with.

And I get cold too. Not all gyms are heated or well heated.

Peace

Rich Wed Sep 11, 2013 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 904793)
Our state wants us to come out when the team enters the floor. That could be 20 minutes, 15 minutes or 10 minutes based on when the prelim game gets over with.

And I get cold too. Not all gyms are heated or well heated.

Peace

Our state always gives 20 minutes for warmups -- even if the preliminary game runs long. That's when we come out. Horn, teams come out, we come out with them. I guess the AD and coaches aren't enough adults to properly supervise players. I wonder how they ever get through practice!

I wish they'd put an elliptical machine or a treadmill at halfcourt, so I could keep the blood flowing.

I actually prefer the cold gyms once the game starts -- but until then I freeze.

Raymond Wed Sep 11, 2013 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 904754)
When it actually does start getting cold, I find the jacket useful for keeping warm a lot of the small, drafty gyms I find myself working in. Not a problem probably at the collegiate level.

I run a lot more in my college games so my body temp is up there; I often put on the jacket in the locker room because I get cold.

BillyMac Wed Sep 11, 2013 04:38pm

The Three Amigos ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 904716)
An extra whistle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 904717)
Whistle, and normal lanyard as a backup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 904758)
Whistle/lanyard.

You guys must not leave your jackets in the locker room at halftime?

BillyMac Wed Sep 11, 2013 04:46pm

The Needle And The Damage Done (Neil Young) ...

We're in the process of getting new jackets, local logo instead of the IAABO logo (due to licensing restrictions). We were given about three seasons to change over. I used the new jacket last season. The pockets are so shallow that I lost, and had to buy, and replace, several needles that were lost, until I eventually figured out to duct tape the needle into the pocket. I used the same needle for over twenty-five years with my old jacket with the deep pockets, the needle was so old that it was tarnished and wasn't shiny any more. The new jacket also has a satin finish that makes us look like disco roller skaters. What was the executive committee thinking when they selected this model?

RookieDude Wed Sep 11, 2013 05:39pm

I like the jacket for traditional reasons as well as the ritual that goes with it...

i.e. the whole crew taking off the jackets at the same time after the national anthem...handing the jackets to table personnel for them to carefully place them in a secure location...going to the table at the end of the 2nd Qrt. only to awkwardly get each others jacket, sometimes handing off the correct jackets to each other as we make our way to the halftime locker room, sometimes one official grabs all jackets...

speaking of jackets...why do some officials wear their college jackets to a H.S. game?

To cheap to buy 2 jackets?

Showing off the not so neat college jacket?

Also, we aim for going on the court 15 minutes prior to 0:00. Captains at 12:00 and Books at 10:00.

Dunks acceptable (or at least we don't care) untill we get on the court...

AremRed Wed Sep 11, 2013 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yooperbballref (Post 904768)

I agree, I think they look professional.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 904801)
Our state always gives 20 minutes for warmups -- even if the preliminary game runs long. That's when we come out. Horn, teams come out, we come out with them. I guess the AD and coaches aren't enough adults to properly supervise players. I wonder how they ever get through practice!

In my state we come out 15 minutes before regardless if teams are on the court already. I wish we only had to do the meetings and book check, we are there to officiate the game not the warm-ups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 904806)
speaking of jackets...why do some officials wear their college jackets to a H.S. game?

Don't ask...