The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "HOOSIERS" movie (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/9605-hoosiers-movie.html)

BSHAUNJEN Tue Aug 05, 2003 01:34pm

Question for the board. In the movie "HOOSIERS", there were 2 calls I'm not sure about. First, can a coach be thrown out of a game without receiving 2 technical fouls? Second, if a fan comes out onto the floor during the game, should you T-up the team that he is rooting for and, if yes, how do you know he really is for that said team. The coach will go crazy saying he has no idea who the person is. Thanks for any replies!

mick Tue Aug 05, 2003 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BSHAUNJEN
Question for the board. In the movie "HOOSIERS", there were 2 calls I'm not sure about. First, can a coach be thrown out of a game without receiving 2 technical fouls? Second, if a fan comes out onto the floor during the game, should you T-up the team that he is rooting for and, if yes, how do you know he really is for that said team. The coach will go crazy saying he has no idea who the person is. Thanks for any replies!
The back then, used-to-be rules vary from today's rules, ya know?

Mark Padgett Tue Aug 05, 2003 01:41pm

First of all, even though Hoosiers was based on fact, it's still a movie!!! Don't take what you see literally.

As to your questions - under NF rules, a coach (or player or bench personnel) can be ejected on a single technical if the official rules the offense was flagrant.

As to a fan coming down from the stands, you should ask game management to remove him or her. You can issue a bench technical if you feel anyone on the bench incited the behavior.

Jurassic Referee Tue Aug 05, 2003 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett

As to a fan coming down from the stands, you should ask game management to remove him or her. You can issue a bench technical if you feel anyone on the bench incited the behavior. [/B]
Don't agree completely with that one,Mark.Incitement by the bench isn't the only criteria used.The usual one used is that the official must positively identify which team's supporters are responsible,have game management warn 'em,and then give a T if that team's supporters persist in whatever they're doing wrong-i.e. noisemakers,throwing things on the floor,etc. The team's bench may not be involved at all. Use with extreme care(if at all)! As in not recommended!:D

Casebook play 2.8.1COMMENT & SITUATION cover it well.

JAdams Tue Aug 05, 2003 01:59pm

Slightly Off Topic (Hoosiers)

Approx 3-4 years ago USA Today asked readers to email them with their all-time favorite sports movies. "Hoosiers" won in a landslide... think I remember that second place had fewer than half as many votes as "Hoosiers." Certainly not a scientific poll, but a real testimonial for a great movie classic.

Viking32 Tue Aug 05, 2003 02:42pm

Quote:

Second, if a fan comes out onto the floor during the game, should you T-up the team that he is rooting for and, if yes, how do you know he really is for that said team. The coach will go crazy saying he has no idea who the person is. Thanks for any replies!

Just a clarification on this question. I believe in the movie the T was issued after Gene Hackman told the ref "Don't worry about him, he's my assistant coach. I'll take care of it."

The ref said "In that case, Technical foul." He T'd him up because he was an assistant coach, not just a random fan coming on the floor.

I'm paraphrasing the quotes, but I'm pretty sure the paraphrases are accurate.

Mark Padgett Tue Aug 05, 2003 02:48pm

Re: Slightly Off Topic (Hoosiers)

Quote:

Originally posted by JAdams
Approx 3-4 years ago USA Today asked readers to email them with their all-time favorite sports movies. "Hoosiers" won in a landslide... think I remember that second place had fewer than half as many votes as "Hoosiers." Certainly not a scientific poll, but a real testimonial for a great movie classic.
Nah - best sports movie ever was "The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders Show Their Tight Ends".

http://www.cheerleader.com/dallas/98/98dcvid.tn.jpg

Jurassic Referee Tue Aug 05, 2003 03:03pm

Quote:

Nah - best sports movie ever was "The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders Show Their Tight Ends".

[/B][/QUOTE]After they retire,do they become wide receivers?

Dan_ref Tue Aug 05, 2003 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

After they retire,do they become wide receivers? [/B][/QUOTE]

No, that's WHY they retire.

BktBallRef Tue Aug 05, 2003 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Viking32
Quote:

Second, if a fan comes out onto the floor during the game, should you T-up the team that he is rooting for and, if yes, how do you know he really is for that said team. The coach will go crazy saying he has no idea who the person is. Thanks for any replies!

Just a clarification on this question. I believe in the movie the T was issued after Gene Hackman told the ref "Don't worry about him, he's my assistant coach. I'll take care of it."

The ref said "In that case, Technical foul." He T'd him up because he was an assistant coach, not just a random fan coming on the floor.

I'm paraphrasing the quotes, but I'm pretty sure the paraphrases are accurate.

There were also scenes where fans came unto the floor as well.

Viking32 Tue Aug 05, 2003 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef

There were also scenes where fans came unto the floor as well. [/B]
But no technicals were assessed to fans, just to the Dennis Hopper character.

JugglingReferee Tue Aug 05, 2003 05:02pm

Quote:

Quote:

But no technicals were assessed to fans, just to the Dennis Hopper character. [/B]
A great performance too!

rainmaker Tue Aug 05, 2003 05:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

Quote:

But no technicals were assessed to fans, just to the Dennis Hopper character.
A great performance too! [/B]
So should the ref have given an Oscar inaddition to the T?

Jurassic Referee Tue Aug 05, 2003 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
[/B]
So should the ref have given an Oscar in addition to the T?

[/B][/QUOTE]Actually,Juulie,the name of the award is the "Slappy"- short for "The Slappy Dan Golden T of the Year Award".

'Tis named after our own,beloved Dan_Ref,for career achievements.

http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=5468

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Aug 5th, 2003 at 05:47 PM]

ChuckElias Tue Aug 05, 2003 07:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Actually,Juulie,the name of the award is the "Slappy"- short for "The Slappy Dan Golden T of the Year Award".

'Tis named after our own,beloved Dan_Ref,for career achievements.

I still feel quite honored to have been bestowed with the inaugural Slappy :D