The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   When does the ten second backcourt count start? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96035-when-does-ten-second-backcourt-count-start.html)

Sharpshooternes Fri Sep 06, 2013 05:15pm

When does the ten second backcourt count start?

I think we have discussed this before but I was just watching one of my videos from summer camp and it got me wondering about it again. Is it upon the release or upon someone, anyone, touching it inbounds?

My gut is saying it starts on the first touch so that it is possible for there to be some delay between the pass and the start of the count. After a timeout, and A1 rolls the ball down the court and then someone picks it up at mid court. I am pretty sure there is no count until the touch as the clock does not run either.
Does it matter after, say, a made basket?

JRutledge Fri Sep 06, 2013 05:26pm

A ten second count starts when the ball is possessed. That is not necessarily when the clock starts if stopped.

Peace

BillyMac Fri Sep 06, 2013 06:13pm

No Videos, I'm Gonna Be Good This Weekend ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 904370)
A ten second count starts when the ball is possessed.

Also known as the "Linda Blair Rule".

Adam Fri Sep 06, 2013 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 904369)
I think we have discussed this before but I was just watching one of my videos from summer camp and it got me wondering about it again. Is it upon the release or upon someone, anyone, touching it inbounds?

My gut is saying it starts on the first touch so that it is possible for there to be some delay between the pass and the start of the count. After a timeout, and A1 rolls the ball down the court and then someone picks it up at mid court. I am pretty sure there is no count until the touch as the clock does not run either.
Does it matter after, say, a made basket?

Neither.

And no, it doesn't matter whether it's after a made basket.

dsavitzky Fri Sep 06, 2013 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 904369)

9-8 says that neither a player nor team shall be "in continuous control of of a ball which is in her backcourt for 10 seconds." So it would start when team control is established inbounds. Similarly on a pass from A1 to A2 in the frontcourt deflected by B1 into A's backcourt, a new 10-second count should start as soon as the ball moves into the backcourt because team control was not interrupted.

Sharpshooternes Fri Sep 06, 2013 07:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 904377)
Neither.

And no, it doesn't matter whether it's after a made basket.

I see what you did there. :) It isn't even the touching that starts the count it is CONTROLLING it in the BACKCOURT. I felt kinda silly even asking the question but I actually learned something from it. Thank you gents.

bob jenkins Fri Sep 06, 2013 08:40pm

Aren't they changing it this year to start on the touch? ;)

Lotto Sat Sep 07, 2013 06:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 904386)
Aren't they changing it this year to start on the touch? ;)

In NCAAW, yes.

bob jenkins Sat Sep 07, 2013 07:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotto (Post 904399)
In NCAAW, yes.

I think it's also true in NCAAM

JRutledge Sat Sep 07, 2013 08:16am

I think that only applies to NCAA Women's.

Peace

JetMetFan Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 904405)
I think that only applies to NCAA Women's.

Peace

Nope, it's NCAAM as well. An NCAAM supervisor - in a combined camp - told us that this summer.

JRutledge Sat Sep 07, 2013 07:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 904412)
Nope, it's NCAAM as well. An NCAAM supervisor - in a combined camp - told us that this summer.

I only saw that change in the Women's announcements. I looked up the announcement and did not see that specific change. Do you have a reference?

Peace

JRutledge Sat Sep 07, 2013 08:21pm

USA Today Article

NCAA Webpage

Both of these links seem to suggest this is only a Women's change. Maybe they did change the Men's rule, but they seem to not mention how they changed that rule. We have yet to have meetings and I do not have a rulebook yet, so maybe you are right.

Peace

jeschmit Sat Sep 07, 2013 09:16pm

I have heard reports that it is both an NCAAW and NCAAM change...

Lotto Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:56pm

NCAAM too

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 904437)
I have heard reports that it is both an NCAAW and NCAAM change...

I just peeked at the NCAAM rulebook at NCAA Publications - 2013-14 and 2014-15 Men's Basketball Rules. They have, indeed, changed the 10-second rule so that the count starts on the touch rather than possession (except for a rebound or a jump ball). In both cases there will be no visible count and the officials will use the shot clock to determine whether there is a violation.