The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   When does the ten second backcourt count start? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96035-when-does-ten-second-backcourt-count-start.html)

BillyMac Sun Sep 08, 2013 09:45am

Simple Question From A Simple Mind ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotto (Post 904446)
...the 10-second rule so that the count starts on the touch rather than possession. In both cases there will be no visible count and the officials will use the shot clock to determine whether there is a violation.

I know more about quantitative molecular biological engineering than I know about NCAA rules, so here's my question. Previous to any recent changes, when did the shot clock start after a throwin, with a touch by the offensive team, or with possession by the offensive team?

JetMetFan Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 904465)
I know more about quantitative molecular biological engineering than I know about NCAA rules, so here's my question. Previous to any recent changes, when did the shot clock start after a throwin, with a touch by the offensive team, or with possession by the offensive team?

According to NCAA 2-11-5 in the most recent combined rulebook (2011-13), these were the marching orders for the shot-clock operator.

Start the timing device when a player inbounds legally touches or is touched by the ball on a throw-in or when a team initially gains possession from a jump ball, an unsuccessful try for goal or when possession of a loose ball is gained after a jump ball or unsuccessful try for goal.

The wording is basically the same in the 2014-15 NCAAW rule book.

BillyMac Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:36am

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 904471)
... orders for the shot-clock operator. Start the timing device when a player inbounds legally touches or is touched by the ball on a throw-in ...

Thanks JetMetFan. So, let me see if I've got this straight (again, please be patient with me, I know more about metaphysics, and epistemology, than I know about college rules). Previous to any recent changes, the shot clock (touch), and the ten second count (possession), may not have started at the same time?

Note: I need to know this because, here in my little corner of Connecticut, prep schools (we currently service eight prep schools), use a set of hybrid NCAA/NFHS rules, with a shot clock used in varsity games, but not in subvarsity games. I always hope that my partner in these games is an NCAA official (most prep school assignments go to our top officials, and, often, but not always, our top officials include many NCAA officials) knowledgeable in shot clock rules. If not, then I read through the shot clock rules a few times before my game, including during the pregame, in the locker room, with my partner. Even with my limited knowledge of shot clock rules, I find that I usually know more than the shot clock operator, usually a student, usually a female student in boys games (go figure). Our local board guidelines regarding hybrid NCAA/NFHS rules allow us to replace the shot clock operator, or shut down the shot clock, if there are problems, and there usually are, otherwise we wouldn't have this option in our guidelines.

JetMetFan Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 904473)
Thanks JetMetFan. So, let me see if I've got this straight (again, please be patient with me, I know more about metaphysics, and epistemology, than I know about college rules). Previous to any recent changes, the shot clock (touch), and the ten second count (possession), may not have started at the same time?

In the NCAAM code, yes. If the defense touched the ball first the shot-clock started but the ten-second count did not.

NCAAW started both at the same time. I don't know when the two codes adopted separate interpretations.

bob jenkins Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 904474)
In the NCAAM code, yes. If the defense touched the ball first the shot-clock started but the ten-second count did not.

NCAAW started both at the same time. I don't know when the two codes adopted separate interpretations.

I disagree with your second point because NCAAW didn't have a 10-second count. ;)

JetMetFan Sun Sep 08, 2013 09:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 904481)
I disagree with your second point because NCAAW didn't have a 10-second count. ;)

I prefer to look forward rather than focus on the past :D