The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump ball-Held Ball (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96022-jump-ball-held-ball-video.html)

APG Fri Sep 06, 2013 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 904348)
Forgive me I am a little bit in football mode now when it comes to rules differences. But what rules difference applies here that is difference between NF and NCAA? Sorry I would look it up but I am preparing my football pre-game for tonight's game.

Peace

NCAA: if there's a held ball before the arrow is established, the resulting jump ball is between any two players. NF, it would be between the two players involved in the held ball.

JRutledge Fri Sep 06, 2013 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 904350)
NCAA: if there's a held ball before the arrow is established, the resulting jump ball is between any two players. NF, it would be between the two players involved in the held ball.

That is right. And for the record it would not have been hard to remember the two players. Those two were key in that game and they would have been hard to forget in this situation. Then again I work college football and rarely do I have an issue getting rules like that straight, especially in basketball. The rules differences are very minor. Football on the other hand..... :D

Peace

Camron Rust Fri Sep 06, 2013 04:46pm

Technically speaking, I believe the video showed that red had the ball first, even if it was for just a moment, and Jeff was correct in making the call he made. However, I would not be surprised and I wouldn't consider it an incorrect call if any official had come up with a held ball given what was visible in the video.

OKREF Sat Sep 07, 2013 07:05pm

I'm giving the ball to white and the arrow to red.

JugglingReferee Mon Sep 09, 2013 05:36am

I'm more than ok with assigning first possession to red. Which means white gets the throw-in, and red the subsequent arrow.

Lotto Mon Sep 09, 2013 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 904418)
I'm giving the ball to white and the arrow to red.

If you're giving the ball to white because you decided that red had possession, the you set the arrow to white and change it when the AP throw-in is completed. Otherwise you will have the arrow pointing the wrong way if, for example, there is a foul before the throw-in. And you call both coaches over and explain the whole thing to them and the table so everyone understands...

OKREF Mon Sep 09, 2013 09:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotto (Post 904643)
If you're giving the ball to white because you decided that red had possession, the you set the arrow to white and change it when the AP throw-in is completed. Otherwise you will have the arrow pointing the wrong way if, for example, there is a foul before the throw-in. And you call both coaches over and explain the whole thing to them and the table so everyone understands...

I know.