The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 09:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Off-season, off-topic

I get that it's the off-season for many of you, excluding the occasional masochist working summer basketball or those of us attending camps.

The occasional off-topic post is fine. Really, it is. But when I wade through post after post of off-topic crap from the same suspects (and I can't find any recent ON-topic posts from those people), it really annoys me. I *can't* be the only one that feels this way.

It's OK to go a few days or even a week without posting! I don't post that often during the times when I don't have anything to say.

A few of you got a reasonably friendly PM this morning asking you to tone it down a bit. PLEASE don't make us take the next step in the process, which will involve a few days away from us.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 09:13am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
1) Amen.

2) My masochism starts next week......and I'm looking forward to a five-week schedule of two nights per week of B18U. Hope my knee holds up.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Thank you. As I found out when I was a mod, some people don't take (or can't recognize) the hint.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

All we need now to make it complete is a baseball thread. :/
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Amen!

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 03:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks, I Needed That ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
A few of you got a reasonably friendly PM this morning asking you to tone it down a bit.
Not reasonably friendly. Very friendly. Thanks for the friendly reminder, when I probably deserved a slap in the face instead. That's what my mother would have done.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 03:09pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I get that it's the off-season for many of you, excluding the occasional masochist working summer basketball or those of us attending camps.
My camp ended today. I never really thought I was masochistic until today.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

How about this, I will take this off-topic thread and turn it back to basketball.
In that illegal dribble thread with a1 going OOB to avoid the defender then coming back to continue the illegal dribble. I don't think the question of an oob violation would come up because I would judge that as illegally leaving the court. I did not see this line of thinking mentioned. Why would I be wrong with that line of judgement?
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
How about this, I will take this off-topic thread and turn it back to basketball.
In that illegal dribble thread with a1 going OOB to avoid the defender then coming back to continue the illegal dribble. I don't think the question of an oob violation would come up because I would judge that as illegally leaving the court. I did not see this line of thinking mentioned. Why would I be wrong with that line of judgement?
The difference is leaving on purpose usually in an attempt to gain an advantage vs. leaving in response as a reflex to your path being cut off that may indirectly lead to an advantage.

The alternative may have been a collision and diverting OOB is OK in that sense. What is not OK is choosing to go OOB without an external influence.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree. How is this different from a2 being screened along the baseline, then going oob to avoid a collision?

Whether the ball handler or not, going oob to avoid contact with a defender, allowing one to continue dribble or to better defend or receive a pass is advantage gained by going oob.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2013, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
I disagree. How is this different from a2 being screened along the baseline, then going oob to avoid a collision?

Whether the ball handler or not, going oob to avoid contact with a defender, allowing one to continue dribble or to better defend or receive a pass is advantage gained by going oob.
The difference is reflex vs. intent. If they see the screen and decide the best way around is OOB and take it...violation. If they don't see the screen until the last moment then instinctively dodge around it, no violation.

In addition, it is pretty hard for a screen to be legally set that lets the offensive player through such that they can stay inbounds while the defender's only or better route is out-of-bounds.