The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Was Shot Good? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/95398-shot-good.html)

The_Rookie Sat Jun 29, 2013 06:03pm

Was Shot Good?

1) I am the C and A1 drives to the hoop and collides with B1 and I call a block. Shot went up. As the C I was focused on my collision and did not see the ball go thru hoop. Asked for help from other 2 partners and neither one saw the shot go in. Coach goes nuts and sez all whole gym saw in go in..

Question: should the Trial have watched to see if basket was good?

BTW..we asked the scorers table and the table crew confirmed it was good.

Thoughts on how this should be handled..thanks

AremRed Sat Jun 29, 2013 06:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 898856)
1) I am the C and A1 drives to the hoop and collides with B1 and I call a block. Shot went up. As the C I was focused on my collision and did not see the ball go thru hoop. Asked for help from other 2 partners and neither one saw the shot go in. Coach goes nuts and sez all whole gym saw in go in..

If you as the C somehow missed it, the T should know if the ball went in. The L may know, but should not be looking up there to check. Asking the table is a last resort, but I have been told by veterans to do that, and I think what you did was correct.

PS: How did your 3-man experience go?

Adam Sat Jun 29, 2013 07:34pm

Non calling official should look to confirm shot's success. Coach needs to not go berserk, regardless.

The_Rookie Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:17pm

PS: How did your 3-man experience go?[/QUOTE]

Of Course needs lots of work since use it only for camp and local clinic once per year...Rotations were good..switches inconsistent...Its was a hard fought buzzer beater game between to local rivalry schools..I will sleep good tonight:)

JRutledge Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 898856)

Everyone should have some idea. But I think the Trail has to help out on a play they did not call if the ball went in. And all those partners should say is, "The ball went in." They should not be ruling the counting or not counting of a shot on a foul. Let the calling official make that ultimate determination.

Peace

APG Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:59pm

I agree with JRut...all "off" officials should have an idea whether the ball went into the basket or not.

Imagine the situation where two officials both have a whistle...foul vs. violation. They can get so involved in the fact that they both have a whistle and will have to come together that they forget to see if the ball went in. The 3rd official is going to have to give this information if they go with the foul instead of the violation.