The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Officiating 101 - The Jump Ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/95038-officiating-101-jump-ball.html)

JRutledge Wed May 15, 2013 12:51pm

Why is the umpire not on the division line? Is that an area mechanic?

Peace

dvboa Wed May 15, 2013 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 894311)
Why is the umpire not on the division line? Is that an area mechanic?

Peace

No just where he started. Perhaps he wanted the table to have a good site line to the ball. Who knows...

Raymond Wed May 15, 2013 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvboa (Post 894312)
No just where he started. Perhaps he wanted the table to have a good site line to the ball. Who knows...

I do that in 2-man just for that exact reason. I usually hedge towards the direction I think will win the tap.

JRutledge Wed May 15, 2013 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvboa (Post 894312)

I got that, but I would tell them not to do that. For one if the ball goes the other way, he now has a longer way to go and might get beat worse than he would have normally. Also he is the one that chops the clock, so there is no need for the table to have a perfect few. If they start the clock how they are supposed to watch the umpire, not the play. I just think that is a bad mechanic and for those that always want to reference a book, I have never seen a book that states you are on one side or the other (maybe it has changed).

Peace

dvboa Wed May 15, 2013 06:15pm

Ok, I just revised the video with changes all thanks to you guys. Check out it out, its now the edited version 2.2.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/83qbtGTdS7Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nevadaref Wed May 15, 2013 06:29pm

I think that it has been positively improved in many ways.

I would change one thing from this version. At 3:48 the use of the phrase "following the resumption of play procedure" is inaccurate. The RPP has a specific definition given in rule 4 and it likely won't be happening in the case mentioned. So instead write "following the ball being placed at Team B's disposal for the throw-in."

dvboa Wed May 15, 2013 06:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 894385)
I think that it has been positively improved in many ways.

I would change one thing from this version. At 3:48 the use of the phrase "following the resumption of play procedure" is inaccurate. The RPP has a specific definition given in rule 4 and it likely won't be happening in the case mentioned. So instead write "following the ball being placed at Team B's disposal for the throw-in."

Ok - edited 2.1

observer Tue May 21, 2013 09:57am

shouldn't the Umpire be chopping with the left hand, which would be the hand closest to the table and clock operator?

Camron Rust Tue May 21, 2013 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by observer (Post 894970)
shouldn't the Umpire be chopping with the left hand, which would be the hand closest to the table and clock operator?

Some areas and people do suggest such things but none of the mechanics systems actually require it.

There are a few in our area that insist that your 10-count be with the table side arm. There is no need. If you're doing a proper arm swing and they can't see the arm moving on the far side, they're not going to see it on the near side either.

Such requirements are fabrications by people that just want something else to find fault in.

In fact, we have a contingent of officials that insist that your signals look exactly like they look in the signal diagrams as far was how to hold the fingers and thumb and such but then those same officials insist that the counts be with the side closest to the table even though the pictures show it being done only with the right arm.

BillyMac Wed May 22, 2013 06:08am

I May Be Left Handed, But I'm Always Right ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 895028)
There are a few in our area that insist that your 10-count be with the table side arm.

I'm a stickler for proper signals, but I couldn't care less regarding which hand, or arm, that they are made with. If you were to ask me which arm an official made a signal with after a call, right, or left, I couldn't tell you, no way, ever. But if you asked me which foot was a player's pivot foot, right, or left, after a travel call, I could tell you all day, and all night.