Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnuts View Post
The rule change is not a big deal. There will be almost no
10 second violations called. Teams will adjust.

The pain will be dealing with bad shot clock operators and
Having to make corrections when they screw up
That's the concern I'm hearing most often right now. It's that much larger in my case because GV in NYS uses modfied NCAAW rules so we'll be asking shot-clock operators - in NYC, mainly kids who are already "clock challenged" - to do one more thing.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue May 21, 2013, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

It would have been easier had they just eliminated the player control foul, which is what most want to do anyway.
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 12:01pm
Eschew obfuscation.

From what I found out from the classroom session with Debbie Williamson this past weekend:

Administering official will bring in subs. They will have the whistle, and hold their hand in the air until there are 5 vs 5 on the floor. (We did this at camp this past weekend, and, let me tell ya, I felt like a doofus holding my hand in the air for myself to bring in subs.)

Rule 4 will go from about 70 articles to about 35-40. They are moving things around to make them easier to find. Now you have to go to 3-4 different rules to read about the free throw, whereas in the new rules books all you'll have to do is go to Rule 8 only.

Rule 11 will be Monitor articles.

There will be two separate books for the men's and women's rules. Case books will be separate as well.

There will be a new 10 second count in the backcourt if the ball becomes dead and the offense still has the ball. So you will then go off of what the shot clock says when the ball is put back in play. (Clock awareness is going to be crucial here.)

Under 30 seconds (when the shot clock is off), there will be a visible 10 second backcourt count by the Trail official.

I think that was the main stuff besides what the OP has in their post.
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 12:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
There will be a new 10 second count in the backcourt if the ball becomes dead and the offense still has the ball. So you will then go off of what the shot clock says when the ball is put back in play. (Clock awareness is going to be crucial here.)

Under 30 seconds (when the shot clock is off), there will be a visible 10 second backcourt count by the Trail official.

Just to want to make sure I'm clear on this. Any time the ball achieves backcourt status the time on the shot clock at that moment will determine your new 10 second count? And there will be no visible 10-second count unless the shot clock is off?
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Just to want to make sure I'm clear on this. Any time the ball achieves backcourt status the time on the shot clock at that moment will determine your new 10 second count? And there will be no visible 10-second count unless the shot clock is off?
that's what I heard, too. Note that this can give a team more (up to .9) than 10 seconds to get the ball across if it becomes dead after the clock has started.

And, the specific mechanics on bringing in the subs are still being developed -- and I agree it was strange.
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
that's what I heard, too. Note that this can give a team more (up to .9) than 10 seconds to get the ball across if it becomes dead after the clock has started.
Only if the shot clock doesn't show tenths (of course, many don't).

Also, that really isn't any different than officials counting. I guarantee there is a lot more than 0.9 seconds of inaccuracy in most counts....usually on the slow side.
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Administering official will bring in subs. They will have the whistle, and hold their hand in the air until there are 5 vs 5 on the floor. (We did this at camp this past weekend, and, let me tell ya, I felt like a doofus holding my hand in the air for myself to bring in subs.)
This is definitely a work-in-progress. During my NCAA-W camp on June 28-29, we were instructed to have the administering official whistle and wave subs in, but still have the T or C, hold their hand up. Clarification on what they exactly want will be demonstrated in the preseason videos.

Although Debbie would have a better idea of what she was looking for than an other member of the rules committee

-Josh
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 04:48pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This is correct. The trail will have to know what the shot clock is on in order to have a proper 10 second count every time the ball achieves backcourt status.

Debbie did say that the Center can help with this, but they want the call coming from the trail unless the Center is ABSOLUTELY SURE that more than 10 seconds had elapsed while the ball is in the backcourt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
This is definitely a work-in-progress. During my NCAA-W camp on June 28-29, we were instructed to have the administering official whistle and wave subs in, but still have the T or C, hold their hand up. Clarification on what they exactly want will be demonstrated in the preseason videos.

Although Debbie would have a better idea of what she was looking for than an other member of the rules committee

-Josh
Debbie watched games at Marie's camp for a day... She provided information with how they wanted it to be done. The Center or Trail (whoever brings the subs in first), will raise their hand to initially bring them in, but then pass off the hand in the air to the administering official. Much like we do now when we pass the hand in the air off to the Center official when we are going long.

Last edited by jeschmit; Tue Jul 09, 2013 at 04:51pm.
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Debbie watched games at Marie's camp for a day... She provided information with how they wanted it to be done. The Center or Trail (whoever brings the subs in first), will raise their hand to initially bring them in, but then pass off the hand in the air to the administering official. Much like we do now when we pass the hand in the air off to the Center official when we are going long.
Good information. I still don't understand why the administering official is stop signing themselves but good information nonetheless

-Josh
Old Tue Jul 09, 2013, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good information. I still don't understand why the administering official is stop signing themselves but good information nonetheless

-Josh
It tells their partners that they've got it and they are waiting for the substitution to complete. If they put it down when there are 6 players on the court, their partners can react and prevent them form putting the ball in play.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2013, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Only if the shot clock doesn't show tenths (of course, many don't).
That function gets turned off during NCAA games played in NBA or D-League arenas. There's nothing official about it in the rule book but it appears both NCAAM and NCAAW aren't into it right now.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2013, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On other thing regarding resets: if we have to stop the game while the ball is in the backcourt due to a timer error (i.e., the game clock starts but the shot clock doesn't) the offense gets a new 10-second count. So again, clock awareness will be big.
Old Fri Jul 12, 2013, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
According to my friendly neighborhood interpreter, that's correct.

NCAAW = 10-second count begins when the ball is TOUCHED by Team A in its backcourt.

NCAAM = 10-second count begins when the ball is CONTROLLED by an inbounds player from Team A in their backcourt.

Given that TC exists on a throw-in, the way the women are handling it makes sense.
This is correct for NCAAW - it was a big topic in a camp I was at last weekend.
Old Fri Jul 12, 2013, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:

-Josh
Basically what I been doing is if I am the table, trail or center, I hold the subs until I get the administering officials attention. This helped a lot in my games in camp.
Old Fri Jul 12, 2013, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
NCAAW = 10-second count begins when the ball is TOUCHED by Team A in its backcourt.

NCAAM = 10-second count begins when the ball is CONTROLLED by an inbounds player from Team A in their backcourt.
Does that mean now there will be a difference in when the shot clock should start after a made basket between the men's and women's game?