The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2013-2014 NFHS Basketball rule changes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94975-2013-2014-nfhs-basketball-rule-changes.html)

BillyMac Fri May 10, 2013 06:03am

Jeffrey ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 893470)
The change when it took place.

JRutledge: While trying to find a date on the Power Point that you posted (2008), I discovered that you were the author. Excellent presentation. The group(s) that you educate is lucky to have you.

You posted that this was a change. What was the previous rule?

JetMetFan Fri May 10, 2013 06:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 893482)
JRutledge: While trying to find a date on the Power Point that you posted (2008), I discovered that you were the author. Excellent presentation. The group(s) that you educate is lucky to have you.

This is from 2006-07. Since the NFHS used the word "established" it would appear nothing was set in stone until '06-07 then NFHS revised the rule for '08-09.

Quote:

GUIDELINES FOR HEADBANDS, WRISTBANDS ESTABLISHED (3-5-3, 3-6) Headbands and wristbands must be unadorned (except for the permissible logo) and be the predominant color of the jersey or white. When wearing headbands and/or wristbands, all players must wear the same color and wear the items as intended.

JetMetFan Fri May 10, 2013 06:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 893442)
Socks? No rules, even if they go from the player's feet all the way up underneath the player's shorts. Socks (below) are legal.

No sock rule in NFHS but NCAA does have one:

3-8-1 A single manufacturer’s or distributor’s normal logo, label or trademark meeting the size restrictions of 3-8.2 is permitted once on the game jersey, once on the game pants and once on all other items of apparel excluding the undershirt.

Which means only one namufacturer's logo is allowed on socks as well as all other itms other than undershirts. I've heard tell of this being enforced as far as the socks are concerned. My NCAAW assignor reminds us every February to keep the rule in mind, mainly to get schools used to it during the NCAAs. It could be the most hated rule in the book.

JRutledge Fri May 10, 2013 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 893482)

Actually Billy this was posted last year. I have run a class for 6 years (I believe) and I have modified that particular module every year when there have been changes to uniform rules to reflect new rules or changes to all these rules.

That being said the old rule was there was no color restriction. Then the NF said that all these items had to be the same color. Then they added colors (team color). Then a color restriction on what the arm sleeves were to be. Now the addition of leg sleeves or other leg items.

Peace

BillyMac Fri May 10, 2013 05:13pm

Just The Facts, Ma’am ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 893520)
That being said the old rule was there was no color restriction. Then the NF said that all these items had to be the same color. Then they added colors (team color). Then a color restriction on what the arm sleeves were to be. Now the addition of leg sleeves or other leg items ...

I don't like the direction that this is heading.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5251/5...ca118730_m.jpg

BktBallRef Sat May 11, 2013 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 893365)
Wish this were included for tipped shots as well. I've had a couple cases as the lead where an airball (shot from out of my area where I wasn't looking) has gone out of bounds and I have had to look for help from my partner to know whether it was a straight airball or a tipped shot. Or I point the other direction only to have my partner come tell me it was tipped and I change the call.

If I see my partner make a "tip ball" sign, I can make my OOB call without any doubt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 893374)
I hate the tip signal on shots. Yeah, it may save half a second on an OOB call, but it causes more headaches than it's worth. I have more plays where I call a foul while my partner is giving the tip signal (in my PCA) than OOB plays where I need help.

Paul, you signal tipped ball on the shot as I whistle a foul.

It's almost as bad as a blarge.

The tipped ball signal should never be used on a shot.

bob jenkins Sun May 12, 2013 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 893339)
I guess I will have to start packing a ruler to make sure the manufacturers logo is no bigger than 2-1/4 inches.

Or just wait until someone watching on tv phones in and lets me know they violated the uniform rules.

The rule has always (well, 10 years or so) been 2 1/4 inches. It's allowing the logo on the jersey that's new.

grunewar Sun May 12, 2013 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 893622)
I don't like the direction that this is heading.

Shoes and socks to follow?

BillyMac Sun May 12, 2013 01:46pm

And Don't Click Your Ruby Slippers Together While Saying It ......

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 893727)
Shoes and socks to follow?

Bite your tongue.