The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

New Personal Blog

Hey Guys. I am not new to this forum, but I do not post messages. I have created a new blog called "Player Turned Official." It is a personal blog about my experiences as a basketball official. Other posts will be about everything that involves being a referee. I hope people will comment, as well as send me messages about what more I can do with this blog in the future.

iofficiate.blogspot.com

Thanks again.
PTOfficial
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Advice

Hey again. Just have been watching to see if I was going to get any interest. I have seen the thread views, but no actual replies. Any advice or suggestions to what to write about in the near future?
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 03:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Talk about some basketball officiating subjects and you'll get plenty of responses. Not much going happen here on the blogging front.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 03:32pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

You haven't ever posted here until now, and your first post is about a blog you are going to write—that isn't likely to generate a lot of interest. Plus, you are doing it anonymously, which doesn't really help your cause.

My advice: Start writing. Every day.

Write some interesting stories, put your views out there, don't ask others what to write about—write about what is important to you, your experiences, your challenges, your successes.

Then get involved in the forum—not to promote your blog, but to connect with other people. Put a link to your blog in your signature, but never talk about it again. Write interesting things on the forum, respond to other people, really jump in—if people like what you say they will end up on your blog reading your other stuff.

Finally, put your name on it. People value authenticity. You'll get a much better response from everyone and it could lead to opportunities for you down the road. Anonymity is overrated—and the truth is that people will probably figure out who you are anyway, especially if you are blogging about things you are doing and what is happening in your life.

I can think of at least one specific example from this board where a user thought he was anonymous, but several people knew who he was. Besides, is your first name really "Brandon" (that's what is says on your blog)—that narrows it down a bit! Also, knowing that people know who you are will cause you to be a little more conscious about what and how you write—that is probably a good thing.

Best of luck with it!

- Brad
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 04:28pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
...I can think of at least one specific example from this board where a user thought he was anonymous, but several people knew who he was. Besides, is your first name really "Brandon" (that's what is says on your blog)—that narrows it down a bit...
I thought he might live in Brandon, FL

In any event...that kinda proves your point. People will eventually figure out who/where you are.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

New Post.

Thanks for reading
PT

Last edited by PTOfficial; Fri May 10, 2013 at 02:01pm.
Closed Thread