The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 01, 2000, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Does the NCAA or the NFHS give a definition of a "designated spot". My understand is that once a player has be given a spot for a throw in they must keep at least one foot as a pivot. However after discussion with my educator, i have been informed that the "designated spot" is actually a 3 foot area and that a player may move one or both feet in this area.

Has a player, who has been designated to a spot for a throw in moves both feet before the ball is release committed a violation?

Thanks
SH
keep smiling
Old Sun Oct 01, 2000, 04:56am
Official Forum Member

Smile

No, he has not commited a violation.
Most fans and some coachs see the feet shuffle and they want
a travel call. But if he goes past the 3 ft. area its an
inbound violation call not a travel.....
Old Sun Oct 01, 2000, 07:13am
In Memoriam

Designated Spot Definition

Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
Does the NCAA or the NFHS give a definition of a "designated spot". My understand is that once a player has be given a spot for a throw in they must keep at least one foot as a pivot. However after discussion with my educator, i have been informed that the "designated spot" is actually a 3 foot area and that a player may move one or both feet in this area.

Has a player, who has been designated to a spot for a throw in moves both feet before the ball is release committed a violation?

Thanks
SH
keep smiling

SH,
Here is the quote of rule and note from the 2000 NF Rule Book.

"Rule 4-41-Art.6... The designated throw-in spot is 3 feet wide with no depth limitation and is established by the official prior to putting the ball at the thrower's disposal.
Note: The thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released. Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in effect for a throw-in. "

mick
Old Sun Oct 01, 2000, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Play: Following a personal foul by B3, the official indicates to Team A that they shall inbound the ball from a spot 10 feet from the sideline. In a), A1 jumps in the air, over the designated spot, and passes the ball inbounds; b) A1 has one foot within the designated-spot area but lifts it from the floor as the inbounds pass is made; c) A1 moves directly backwards from the designated spot by 6 feet and passes the ball inbounds.

Ruling: Legal in a, b and c. As long as the thrower maintains any portion of his/her body on or above the 3-foot designated-spot area while making the throw-in, the throw-in shall be legal with the score tied at the end of regulation play.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2000, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone, that takes care of that concern!