The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What it takes to get a technical foul (coaches perception) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94655-what-takes-get-technical-foul-coaches-perception.html)

zebraman Tue Apr 02, 2013 02:21pm

What it takes to get a technical foul (coaches perception)

From a news article:

Arizona Coach Miller said he didn’t swear and didn’t get an on-court explanation for the technical.

“If I cuss and I’m out of control and I’ve been warned, shame on me,” Miller said after the game.

That's about what it takes to get a T at the NCAA level these days.

Be out of control, cuss and then ignore your warning. Or get a $5,000 incentive. :-)

icallfouls Tue Apr 02, 2013 02:30pm

another article National reaction to the story of Ed Rush ‘targeting’ Arizona coach Sean Miller - AG's Wildcat Report from AZ, it is a bunch of snipetts nationally.

OKREF Tue Apr 02, 2013 02:55pm

Evidently, ripping of your jacket showing your spaghetti top, running around like your on stage looking for a pole doesn't warrant one.

#olderthanilook Tue Apr 02, 2013 03:04pm

Greenberg is going nutso over this. His reaction is somewhat humorous considering he represents a group of media folks that think they know what they are talking about when it comes to rules and officiating.

So, to read words lambasting Rush are hollow to some extent.

I will admit, what Rush said behind closed doors was foolish at best.

Bad Zebra Tue Apr 02, 2013 03:50pm

Huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 888658)
Evidently, ripping of your jacket showing your spaghetti top, running around like your on stage looking for a pole doesn't warrant one.

I'm curious as to who this is supposed to be. It sounds like it would be more interesting if it were a female coach.

Do you mean Geno? LOL

OKREF Tue Apr 02, 2013 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 888669)
I'm curious as to who this is supposed to be. It sounds like it would be more interesting if it were a female coach.

Do you mean Geno? LOL

Kim Mulkey.

Adam Tue Apr 02, 2013 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 888669)

Do you mean Geno? LOL

Baylor girls' coach did this in the Louisville game Sunday after the pc call with 16.9 seconds left. No T.

Bad Zebra Tue Apr 02, 2013 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 888675)
Baylor girls' coach did this in the Louisville game Sunday after the pc call with 16.9 seconds left. No T.

Thanks. Read about it and heard it but didn't see it.

Adam Tue Apr 02, 2013 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 888676)
Thanks. Read about it and heard it but didn't see it.

My 13 year old daughter doesn't throw fits like that. My 7 year old son does, however.

#olderthanilook Tue Apr 02, 2013 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 888678)
My 13 year old daughter doesn't throw fits like that. My 7 year old son does, however.

I can identify.

ref3808 Tue Apr 02, 2013 04:11pm

Most HS coaches would be surprised if they read 10-4-1 which specifies that an unsporting foul inlcludes, but is not limited to:

a. Disrespectfully addressing an official.
b. Attepting to influenece an official's decision
c. Using profane or inapproprate language or obscence gestures
d. Disrespectfully addressing, baiting or taunting an opponent.
e. Objecting to an official's decision by rising from the bench or using gestures
f. inciting undesirable crowd reactions
g. being charged with fighting
h. Removing the jersey and or pants/skirt within the visual confines of the playing arda
i. grasping either basket (not likley from a coach)

I suggest that given those definitions coaches should be assessed with technical's with much greater frequency then they are presently.

Coaches are under the impression that only c or maybe h will earn them that technical foul. The bar is set much lower if you consider a, b and e.

JRutledge Tue Apr 02, 2013 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref3808 (Post 888687)
Most HS coaches would be surprised if they read 10-4-1 which specifies that an unsporting foul inlcludes, but is not limited to:

e. Objecting to an official's decision by rising from the bench or using gestures
h. Removing the jersey and or pants/skirt within the visual confines of the playing arda

I suggest that given those definitions coaches should be assessed with technical's with much greater frequency then they are presently.

Coaches are under the impression that only c or maybe h will earn them that technical foul. The bar is set much lower if you consider a, b and e.

And it appears Miller committed all 3 on some level.

Peace

JeffM Tue Apr 02, 2013 07:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref3808 (Post 888687)

But, we don't give technicals for these behaviors. While the list permits us to give technicals for a lot of things, it isn't expected that we call technicals for these behaviors.

Judtech Tue Apr 02, 2013 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 888678)

Hopefully he doesn't wear spaghetti strap tops...:eek:

zebraman Tue Apr 02, 2013 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffM (Post 888739)
But, we don't give technicals for these behaviors. While the list permits us to give technicals for a lot of things, it isn't expected that we call technicals for these behaviors.

We don't?

It isn't expected by whom?