The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94648-ncaa-mechanics.html)

BigBaldGuy Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 888807)
I am sure some guys who did not get many men's assignments would work women's, if it were not for the fact that officiating the women's game is so much different. For a decent men's official who only gets 15 assignments because of his lack of seniority, I think he might work women's games to fill in his schedule if not for the rules/mechanics gap.

The womens game is much more different than just some mechanics and rule differences. The philosophy is much different...as is the mindset of the officials and how the power that be want the game called...IMO

JetMetFan Thu Apr 04, 2013 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBaldGuy (Post 889090)
The womens game is much more different than just some mechanics and rule differences. The philosophy is much different...as is the mindset of the officials and how the power that be want the game called...IMO

You're correct. The big thing the powers that be emphasize with us is freedom of movement. Since - save for one person - the game isn't played above the rim in NCAAW, their game suffers considerably if illegal screens aren't dealt with. The other part of the equation is women react differently to contact than men do, especially at the lower levels. Men expect some level of contact, women get ticked off a lot faster when they think the contact is remotely close to the line.

Brad Thu Apr 04, 2013 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 888589)
Women play basketball and there are different mechanics for the officials? Who knew and who cares!

I hope that your other 138 posts on the board contribute as much as this one did! :)

Brad Thu Apr 04, 2013 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 888789)
I hope you are saying this in jest. I really dont think the rules and mechanics are what is keeping people from not doing women's basketball.

No, but it might be something that prevents officials from working both. Used to be that officials might start in women's basketball and some later move over to men's basketball. Joe DeRosa who worked in the NBA for many years (and now works men's D1) started that way.

Now it is completely segmented — you either work women's or men's, never both. And crossing over isn't very common either.

Brad Thu Apr 04, 2013 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 888525)
Why are men's and women's NCAA mechanics so different? NFHS is the same for boys and girls...what's the deal?

And with all due respect to the other commentators in the thread, the correct answer is a single word: COACHES

johnny d Thu Apr 04, 2013 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 889161)
I hope that your other 138 posts on the board contribute as much as this one did! :)

Probably not, but thanks for taking the time to look up my number of posts.:rolleyes:

johnny d Thu Apr 04, 2013 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 889162)
No, but it might be something that prevents officials from working both.

Not a chance. There are plenty of officials out there doing small college basketball and hs ball that have to switch back and forth on rules and mechanics. Simple fact is that men's and women's game are played on completely different physical level which leads to different expectations from the coaches, assignors, and players about what calls need to be made in each game. An official might be able to go back and forth on this, but they will never get as good at their judgement calls for either game by doing so.

JRutledge Thu Apr 04, 2013 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad (Post 889162)
No, but it might be something that prevents officials from working both. Used to be that officials might start in women's basketball and some later move over to men's basketball. Joe DeRosa who worked in the NBA for many years (and now works men's D1) started that way.

Now it is completely segmented — you either work women's or men's, never both. And crossing over isn't very common either.

Where are the people ranting about these comments? I was told there are people that work both all the time. ;)

Peace

Adam Thu Apr 04, 2013 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 889184)
Where are the people ranting about these comments? I was told there are people that work both all the time. ;)

Peace

Not at the college level. I've never seen anyone suggest that's the case. High school? That's another can of worms altogether.

JRutledge Thu Apr 04, 2013 06:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 889185)
Not at the college level. I've never seen anyone suggest that's the case. High school? That's another can of worms altogether.

There have been people here that claimed this has happen at the college level. Never seen any evidence that proves this, but I have heard this a few times as if it was a "norm."

Certainly at the HS level this takes place, it almost has to on many levels. But I have heard people suggest it happens in college, even after the NCAAW side took a turn to NBA style mechanics and rules.

Peace

Adam Thu Apr 04, 2013 06:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 889187)
There have been people here that claimed this has happen at the college level. Never seen any evidence that proves this, but I have heard this a few times as if it was a "norm."

Certainly at the HS level this takes place, it almost has to on many levels. But I have heard people suggest it happens in college, even after the NCAAW side took a turn to NBA style mechanics and rules.

Peace

Maybe at lower levels (DIII, NAIA, JUCO), but even then I would be surprised to see full schedules.

JRutledge Thu Apr 04, 2013 06:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 889188)
Maybe at lower levels (DIII, NAIA, JUCO), but even then I would be surprised to see full schedules.

Someone claimed it happened at the D1 level on this very site. ;)

That being said there was an assignor in my area that assigned D3 in a conference for both genders and tried to assign officials to both. That did not go over well and later that supervisor was released from both. And it certainly does not happen in my area at those levels you mentioned. Coaches do not want to see officials working the other side because of those expectations and philosophies that are often different on each side.

Peace

Adam Thu Apr 04, 2013 06:52pm

I don't remember the claim regarding D1. Might be the most absurd claim ever made on the board.

JRutledge Thu Apr 04, 2013 07:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 889201)
I don't remember the claim regarding D1. Might be the most absurd claim ever made on the board.

I remember it because I was challenged vigorously over my comments about not wanting or willing to work both at the college level.

Peace

Adam Thu Apr 04, 2013 07:39pm

I'm surprised to learn being challenged is what triggers your memory.