The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

What if....

I see the commercial on TV where a boys team is playing for a Championship, the ref calls the ball OOB for their team, they take a TO and the player says to the coach, " I touched the ball, coach"

Meaning he is going to the ref and tell him. If that happened in a game, especially a championship game, what would you do?

Would you change the call? I made a call at the end of this season where the defender swung at the ball, looked like he got the shooter to me, I called the foul, the kid protested. during a TO, I asked the kid who got fouled, " did he hit you on that foul?" Kid said "NO". I could not believe that I missed it.

On the other hand the score was 21-2 against the kid who got fouled. So, my call didn't make a difference.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 09:48am
We don't rent pigs

1. No way you could consider changing the call.

2. Pretty sure this has been discussed before.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:50am
This IS My Social Life

Better Settings to Convey the Lesson Do Exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
" I touched the ball, coach"
On a third strike in baseball, if a curve nips the corner by 1/4" and the ump calls "Ball!", would the batter say, "No, that one nipped the corner. I'm going back to the bench cuz technically I struck out"?
Doubtful, in a setting governed, for good or for bad, by judgement calls.
Whereas I appreciate any media resource that upholds and fosters good, old fashioned morality, I don't rightly think that the context of basketball officials rendering split second decisions on OOB calls is the best scenerio through which to promote it.
Yep, I've had to say, "Thanx, but I've gotta go with what I called." That usually settles it. But I'd hate someone to make a commercial out of it, that's for sure!
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I agree. If you're wrong, you already made the call. It happens.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Good Sportsmanship

I hate that commercial. I hate the implication that a player should notify an official when a bac call went in their favor. The commercial could have had the play in a self-officiated pick-up game.

I like the NFHS slogan: Let the players play, the coaches coach, and the officals officiate.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

If I make a call, I made the call for what I saw. It is like a lot of other things where a player might think something happened, that did not actually happen. And this is really the case on out of bounds calls. So he might think the ball was out of him, but might have touched someone else at the last second.

I like the overall message that the commercial is trying to send, but it is not very practical for the actual example they are using.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:43pm
This IS My Social Life

Notable Quotable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
...the NFHS slogan: Let the players play, the coaches coach, and the officials officiate.
Or, as a very wise official once said, "When the players play and the coaches coach and the refs ref and the fans fan, all is usually right with the world."
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 01:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pretty Sure That just another ref Is Right ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Pretty sure this has been discussed before.
Good Sportsmanship
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)