The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Incidental Contact (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94530-incidental-contact.html)

potato Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:40pm

does it mean as long as the contact doesn't give the defender big advantage? i.e making him loose the ball or miss his shots?

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 887027)
Do you know the meaning of the word incidental?

BillyMac Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42pm

Who You Gonna Call ???

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6230/6...473e048e_m.jpg

It is legal use of hands to accidentally hit the hand of the opponent when it is in contact with the ball. This includes holding, dribbling, passing, or even during a shot attempt. Striking a ball handler or a shooter on that player's hand that is incidental to an attempt to play the ball is not a foul.

just another ref Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by potato (Post 887030)
does it mean as long as the contact doesn't give the defender big advantage? i.e making him loose the ball or miss his shots?

Not at all. Try the dictionary.

potato Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:54pm

Incidental:

1.Being minor or subordinate; happening as a chance consequence

2.Not of prime or central importance

3.Following or accompanying as a consequence

Well it's hard to interpret a word when even the dictionary is telling you it has few meanings. But combining all 3 definitions i would say:

As long as the contact by the defender doesn't gain much advantage out of the contact it is legal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 887039)
Not at all. Try the dictionary.

just another ref Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by potato (Post 887041)
Incidental:

1.Being minor or subordinate; happening as a chance consequence

2.Not of prime or central importance

The contact with the hand is legal if it just kinda happens in an attempt to play the ball.

Quote:

.....I can go all out slapping people's balling hand hard to get steals & blocks.
When you "go all out to slap the hand hard" it is no longer incidental.

APG Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by potato (Post 887025)
i'm not making a point, just wanna make sure the scenario i made is legal so i can go all out slapping people's balling hand hard to get steals & blocks.

i play pick up games and i usually go for clean steals & blocks where i don't hit player's hand. but being able to hit them makes everything much easier. especially blocking jump shots from behind them.

There's a reason you don't see this tactic used more often...because it's near impossible to try and slap the hand on purpose.

Rich Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 887052)
There's a reason you don't see this tactic used more often...because it's near impossible to try and slap the hand on purpose.

And you're likely going to get some part of the wrist.

APG Wed Mar 27, 2013 01:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 887044)

When you "go all out to slap the hand hard" it is no longer incidental.

For all intents and purposes, short of a player punching another player's hand, I don't ever see an official not thinking a hit on the hand is incidental.

BillyMac Wed Mar 27, 2013 06:29am

Them Bones, Them Bones, Them Dry Bones ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 887056)
For all intents and purposes, short of a player punching another player's hand, I don't ever see an official not thinking a hit on the hand is incidental.

... as long as the official believes that the contact did not involve the ball handler's wrist, or forearm.

letemplay Wed Mar 27, 2013 07:56am

Wreck Hall Ruleset??

Quote:

Originally Posted by potato (Post 887025)
i'm not making a point, just wanna make sure the scenario i made is legal so i can go all out slapping people's balling hand hard to get steals & blocks.

i play pick up games and i usually go for clean steals & blocks where i don't hit player's hand. but being able to hit them makes everything much easier. especially blocking jump shots from behind them.

Hah, try enforcing "rules" in pick up ball and you'll probably get run outta the gym

Adam Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 887079)
Hah, try enforcing "rules" in pick up ball and you'll probably get run outta the gym

Yep, or worse.

just another ref Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 887056)

Well, I don't either. But, this is a judgment call. He's telling us that he intends to smack the hand hard. So, if we judge properly, this is now a foul.