The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Southern Miss vs. La Tech NIT video request (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94520-southern-miss-vs-la-tech-nit-video-request.html)

zm1283 Mon Mar 25, 2013 09:29pm

Southern Miss vs. La Tech NIT video request

14:09 1st half called PC looked like minimal contact.

13:32 1st half called block looked like PC. Close but I have seen that called a PC foul.

JetMetFan Tue Mar 26, 2013 09:20am

Here are the plays...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R8IUEdVuE7g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vrgKVwRDvhs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#olderthanilook Tue Mar 26, 2013 09:36am

Vid #2: The final angle, which gives nearly the same look as the L, shows the defender moved into his final position after the shooter left his feet.

Great call by the L.

Adam Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:07am

On the first play, I'd rather see the lead's angle as the camera angle gives very little information on the level of contact that occurred.

ballgame99 Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:22am

First one the defender looks to have LGP, angle doesn't show level of contact, but the defender goes down and doesn't appear to over embelish (throwing his head back or yelling).

Second one looked like a charge on the first angle, but from the lower angle I like the block a lot better. Defender was half a step late. Don't think I would argue too loudly with a charge call here either. Really close.

JRutledge Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:27am

#1- Honestly cannot tell anything by the angle. I could see a charge if the ball handler "chicken winged" the defender, but you cannot tell that in the video and this angle specifically. I could even see a play through.

#2- I would have liked a charge here. We penalize the defense too much.

Peace

A Pennsylvania Coach Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:23pm

Since these plays were back-to-back, one at each end of the floor, you'd better be really sure that second one is a block.

MD Longhorn Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 886928)
Since these plays were back-to-back, one at each end of the floor, you'd better be really sure that second one is a block.

Why?

Raymond Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 886929)
Why?

Because that first one was a very questionable PC.

Pantherdreams Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:55pm

1 - I don't see a lot there, but conversely don't get enough from that angle to disagree with the call either.

2 - I've got a charge.

zm1283 Tue Mar 26, 2013 01:22pm

In the first one it really looked like the two players were almost moving in the same direction and the offensive player really didn't displace the defender all that much. An angle from the endline would have been good.

I thought #2 was a PC even after watching it again. I think the defender has both feet on the floor and is stopped when the offensive player leaves the floor.

On another note, I could tell the difference in the level of crews working the NCAA tourney and NIT games like this one. That's all I'll say for now.

Indianaref Tue Mar 26, 2013 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 886942)
On another note, I could tell the difference in the level of crews working the NCAA tourney and NIT games like this one. That's all I'll say for now.

Really? Not sure about that. However, I can tell the difference in the level of play.

Multiple Sports Tue Mar 26, 2013 01:27pm

On another note, I could tell the difference in the level of crews working the NCAA tourney and NIT games like this one. That's all I'll say for now.[/QUOTE]

Great point !!!!

Go to statsheet and check out their experience this year.......

JetMetFan Tue Mar 26, 2013 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 886928)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 886930)
Because that first one was a very questionable PC.

Meaning...you'd be penalizing the same team twice because you may have felt the call at the other end wasn't great.

If there's a PC at one end and a block at the other, so be it but that thinking shouldn't be in our heads. If the call was kicked at LaTech's offensive end just make sure to get the call right at LaTech's defensive end.

Raymond Tue Mar 26, 2013 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 886947)
Meaning...you'd be penalizing the same team twice because you may have felt the call at the other end wasn't great.

If there's a PC at one end and a block at the other, so be it but that thinking shouldn't be in our heads. If the call was kicked at LaTech's offensive end just make sure to get the call right at LaTech's defensive end.

He didn't say kick the call on purpose. He said 100% sure you have a block since you just had a very questionable PC foul at the other end against that team.