The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   LaSalle/Ole Miss (Video Added) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94509-lasalle-ole-miss-video-added.html)

stiffler3492 Sun Mar 24, 2013 08:34pm

LaSalle/Ole Miss (Video Added)

Just under 16 minutes left in second half, there was a pass-crash in the lane.

Lead called a charge. Looked like a fop at first glance.

zebraman Sun Mar 24, 2013 09:17pm

About 2:10 left in game. LaSalle coach screaming at trail all the way out of backcourt. Then he screams at the officials during the duration of both free throws at the other end. Would someone at least give him a "cool it" signal? Geeze.

APG Mon Mar 25, 2013 02:16am

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/MmcvS4JjGas" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/5OLBRJkwfp8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AremRed Mon Mar 25, 2013 02:34am

Play 1: Got nothing, I think the offensive player did enough to avoid committing a charge.

Play 2: Gotta take care of business. Speaking of which, how do you handle this?

Raymond Mon Mar 25, 2013 08:10am

On play #2 why is the C calling something all the way over the other side of the lane line right in front of the Trail? And the C had 2 players in between him and the play.

And LaSalle's coach is about 35ft behind the closest official when he is yelling out "awful", nobody is paying attention to him.

bainsey Mon Mar 25, 2013 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 886643)
On play #2 why is the C calling something all the way over the other side of the lane line right in front of the Trail? And the C had 2 players in between him and the play.

I'm glad someone else said it, because I was thinking the same thing, but I admit I have a LaSalle bias. (Coach John Giannini was at UMaine before getting the LaSalle job. I got to know Coach G, and he's become my favorite person to ever coach at my alma mater.)

Bad Zebra Mon Mar 25, 2013 08:42am

#2- Ouch...New T had a beautiful view of the play. C had another player between him and the ball handler and reached...badly. Trust your partner...even in the tournament.

JRutledge Mon Mar 25, 2013 09:28am

Play #1 - I have no problem with the call. I think something needed to be called either way and I think this was a foul.

Play #2 - This is pretty much how I feel about this situation.
Quote:

And LaSalle's coach is about 35ft behind the closest official when he is yelling out "awful", nobody is paying attention to him.

Probably would not have heard him in that setting and probably would not care unless he had been a problem previously. Hard to tell the second part of my assumption.

BTW, I have no problem with the call as he has the play coming at him and an angle on the defender that another official might not. That is the competitive match-up coming at him.

Peace

zebraman Mon Mar 25, 2013 09:56am

Quote:

Sorry, that wouldn't fly in my game and it wouldn't have flown when I had a college supervisor. We always have to know where the coaches are and what they are doing. Part of game management is having being aware of the benches and their conduct.

OKREF Mon Mar 25, 2013 09:59am

I can see not noticing him while they are officiating on the other end. Loud arena, tight game etc..., however if he is still there when they come back towards him, then they need to take care of it.

JRutledge Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman (Post 886667)
Sorry, that wouldn't fly in my game and it wouldn't have flown when I had a college supervisor. We always have to know where the coaches are and what they are doing. Part of game management is having being aware of the benches and their conduct.

It is not really clear where he is in relation to the officials and it is not clear at all if the officials can hear them. He is talking but this is a rather big arena. For all we know the other coach is talking to the officials. I cannot get on an official just for what we see in this video. If they were right next to the coach I would agree on some level and still would likely be OK if nothing happened. Our focus is always the floor first and then the benches if we are in proximity to them. If not, then I would not expect any official (and harder on a college court) to know what a coach is saying on the other end of the court.

Peace

Raymond Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman (Post 886667)

He was in his coaching box, so he is at the 28ft line in the backcourt while the Trail should be at the 28ft line in the front court, so that's 38ft. He's not waving his arms, jumping up and down, or coming on to the court. So he's doing nothing in that large venue that I would be paying attention to at that moment.

zebraman Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 886671)
He was in his coaching box, so he is at the 28ft line in the backcourt while the Trail should be at the 28ft line in the front court, so that's 38ft. He's not waving his arms, jumping up and down, or coming on to the court. So he's doing nothing in that large venue that I would be paying attention to at that moment.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I guess it depends on how much emphasis your supervisor (or what's accepted in your area) puts on bench decorum. There is no way the center couldn't at least read his lips during the free throws. With any of the groups I have worked for, if a coach yells, "that's awful," four times during free throws, it needs to be noticed and addressed... especially after he just reamed-out the trail the entire time coming out of backcourt.

APG Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman (Post 886681)
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I guess it depends on how much emphasis your supervisor (or what's accepted in your area) puts on bench decorum. There is no way the center couldn't at least read his lips during the free throws. With any of the groups I have worked for, if a coach yells, "that's awful," four times during free throws, it needs to be noticed and addressed... especially after he just reamed-out the trail the entire time coming out of backcourt.

Why would the center be looking back at the coach back there?

Honestly, when this was asked to be posted, I was expecting something a lot worse. This? Wouldn't be paying attention to the coach here.

JRutledge Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman (Post 886681)

Fair enough. Who I work for if that was the reason I gave a T and nothing else, I would probably would not have a happy assignor.

Peace