The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2013 IHSA 2A Boys' Final...Plays to Consider (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94327-2013-ihsa-2a-boys-final-plays-consider.html)

JetMetFan Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01am

2013 IHSA 2A Boys' Final...Plays to Consider

I strung together eight plays (yeah, I know, but they move quickly) from the first half of the IL game where the official was pushed. Seven were in the first quarter. All were no-calls, though in some cases there was a foul called later in the possession. Some notes from me...

Play #4: This was the first of six no-calls in the game (my count) on block/charge situations involving airborne shooters where the contact didn't appear to be incidental.

Play #5: Took place 0:11 of game time after Blue #55 received a T.

Play #8: The only play from the 2nd quarter. It happened 1:11 of game time before White #4's ejection.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LybJn3-3FnQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

grunewar Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:21am

That's one physical game.

That post play on #2 is unreal.

I'm not a "big timer" and don't officiate at this level. But, I do know my evaluators probably wouldn't take too kindly for letting a lot of this go without a call.

fullor30 Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:38am

2 and 5 .....lawdy (JR)

Bad Zebra Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44am

This looks like it would evolve into a WWE match by the 4th quarter...not surprised there were out-of-control players by the end of the game.

Multiple Sports Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57am

Awesome ......

Thanks for putting these up......

1 - Easy illegal screen

2 - Defense initially pushes guy off block.....however play did settle (a bit) and basket was scored...however have no problem with foul on defender

3 - Can't tell was there a backcourt ,????defense knock away then offense first touch last touch....

4 - Block ( not because of arc) player with ball in air, defender sledes under

Get back with other four later.......

JMF - Dude great job !!!

Thanks

#olderthanilook Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57am

Excellent video clips, JMF. Thanks for posting.

I've got "block" (defender still trying to gain LGP after shooters left the floor) on the two block/charge scenarios.

The moving screens were egregious, as well.

Agree with the comments made about the rough post play.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:59am

#1. Maybe illegal technically, but no advantage.

#2. Aggressive, but even. Doesn't have to be a foul.

#3. Don't see anything there.

#4. Called a "push" but it was a block....wrong signal but correct foul.

#5. Aggressive and the offense gains an advantage when he sweeps the defender to the floor...needs a foul.

#6. Clear charge. Two bodies down...needs to be called.

#7. No call...Screen was too late to matter relative to the shot. No advantage.

#8. Given what they had been allowing, this was trivial. Noting that the foul actually called was early. Just after the whistle, there was contact that was more deserving of a foul.

HokiePaul Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:52am

The block/charge play #6 seemed like the worst no-call of the group. Not sure how that isn't picked up by someone (both the L and the C were in position to make that call it seems).

I can at least see passing on a couple (#1 (illegal screen), #2 (post play), and #7 (illegal screen) didn't result in a huge advantage.

The post play in #2 is probably the toughest call since its a call you want to make to keep the game from getting too rough, but I'm not sure which side to call it on. Both Offense and Defense are doing their fair share of body checking and fighting for position.

grunewar Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 884171)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 884187)
The post play in #2 is probably the toughest call since its a call you want to make to keep the game from getting too rough, but I'm not sure which side to call it on. Both Offense and Defense are doing their fair share of body checking and fighting for position.

How about going with a double foul here?

Rich Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:10pm

Quote:

#1. Maybe illegal technically, but no advantage.

#3. Don't see anything there.

#5. Aggressive and the offense gains an advantage when he sweeps the defender to the floor...needs a foul.

#6. Clear charge. Two bodies down...needs to be called.

#7. No call...Screen was too late to matter relative to the shot. No advantage.

#8. Given what they had been allowing, this was trivial. Noting that the foul actually called was early. Just after the whistle, there was contact that was more deserving of a foul.

I took notes and was going to write up my own observations, but I'm lazy and they match Cameron's exactly.

#5 - There appeared to be a bit of a hold by the defense early, but it wasn't something that was enough to draw a whistle.

The only plays where I would've hoped for something different are 5 (the sweep that put the defender on the floor should've been called) and 6 (it's a charge).

Big boy basketball -- I *love* it.

Rich Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 884192)
How about going with a double foul here?

No chance.

I think they're jockeying for position and both players are well under control. You notice how well the defender respects the fact that the opponent has the ball?

I'm not a fan of a double foul in general -- any of the ones I've called (and I called my first one in years this season) are usually because I know I've missed the first one and can't just penalize the response and be fair about it.

APG Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:54pm

Quote:

Believe he was calling a push on the put back attempt by the offensive player...not on the block/charge play. Right signal, different foul.

Jesse James Mon Mar 11, 2013 01:15pm

#3 is clearly a backcourt violation

Raymond Mon Mar 11, 2013 01:16pm

Play #1: Illegal screen but A1 had already beaten B1 so I can see letting that go

Play #2: If I'm callng anything early is would be for defender pushing offensive player up to free throw line. Once I miss that I'm letting the play finish out.

Play #3: Really don't see much, no-call from what I can see.

Play #4: Need a block call on initial shot. Then we call a touch foul on the tap. :confused:

Play #5: I've seen rougher post play. Probably would get the TC foul but B1 fell more from the tangled legs than the arm sweep.

Play #6: I've seen this no-called in NCAA games so I wouldn't be too harsh on the officials for this one. Yes, it was a PC, but by the time a whistle probably would have come you have a defensive rebound and a run out. Not egregious IMO.

Play #7: By the time the screen becomes illegal A1 has the ball so C is now officiating on-ball and there is nobody with a good view of the screen. Maybe one of those plays the coach designs knowing there will only be one official strong-side. ;)

Play #8: I probably would have got that first hand-check in the BC.

loners4me Mon Mar 11, 2013 01:17pm

The worst sportsmanship I have ever witnessed during the ceremonies. The head coach took his 2nd place metal and threw it. He also confronted a fan in the stands after the game. Simpy awful because his kids acted the same way and no-showed for trophy ceremony