The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Had a 'dog pile' on the basketball and decided a jump ball was necessary. Of course by the time I blasted my whistle the ball has rolled out and is loose as a goose in front of God and everyone. In a gym of 400 people or so I was the only one who didn't know where the basketball actually was. Lesson learned.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 05:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Seven Second Violation ???

Once continued a five second inbounding count into a ten second backcourt count, without "resetting" in between. Called the ten second violation after only seven seconds had ticked off the clock, ending up charging the irate coach with a technical foul, and only figured out what I had done wrong on the ride home.

Otherwise. I've had a perfect record over thirty-two years. No other mistakes. Perfect I tell you. Just perfect. You can look it up.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 05:57pm.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 06:21pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You can look it up.
Where?
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 07:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Use The Search Feature ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Where?
Right here:

Your worst call ever?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 11:22pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Stupid volleyball lines.
Fortunately, I haven't ruled any long VB shots "in" because I was using the basketball lines.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Just last year

Eighth grade boys game between two rival schools. I am with a partner who was literally working her first (and possibly last) game. She has called a couple of out of bounds, but other than that, her whistle is purely for decoration.

In overtime and tied, I look at the clock -- exactly 1:00 to go. Play is getting really physical inside, but nothing from my partner who is underneath. Suddenly, there is a loose ball, everybody is scrambling, bodies flying and a thought pops into my little pinhead ... "Get control!" So I call a very ticky-tack foul. I look up at the clock. There is a half-second to go. That 1:00 I saw was actually 10.0 seconds. Just a brutal, terrible call in that situation.

We go down to the other end, kid makes a free throw, game over. I feel like throwing up. Fortunately, the losing coach is a great guy and actually refs quite a bit. He actually put his arm around me and said "forgetaboutit." Bless his heart.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 03:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Way back when I was, well, less than 20, I was working one of my first half dozen games ever with a guy who had worked maybe one or two more games than I had. It was a middle school game, and we had a player get fouled and injured.

I convinced my partner that any player on the court could shoot the free throws when a player was too injured to shoot. I have no idea where I got that idea, but we went with it until we got back to our dorm room and looked it up.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

This is pretty easy for me. I was trying to explain to a coach during a live ball that a player can gather the ball and slide to a stop after diving on the floor. While I was talking, the other team stepped out of bounds. It was close, but pretty clear. Since I was trying to talk to the coach and not paying enough attention to what I was supposed to be doing, I don't blow my whistle.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 06:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWP View Post
Eighth grade boys game between two rival schools. I am with a partner who was literally working her first (and possibly last) game.
If it was indeed her last game, that means 100% of all the games she ever worked went into OT.

I think I just passed out.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 10:55pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

In my first game... after telling myself pre-game I wouldn't be a ball-watcher, I end up ball-watching into my partners primary and see players fighting for control of the ball in the first half.

I blow my whistle for a held ball -- only to be told by my partner it was two players from the same team going after for the ball . I ended up calling a travel instead and wondered later if maybe I should have just gone with an inadvertent whistle.

At least the experience was enough to help break me of my ball watching habit.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 11:21pm
I miss being on the floor

I'm gonna have to think about this one. I've done the wrong line thing before...on a backcourt violation.

I think there was one time, my first year, doing a middle school game. We let a kid shoot technical free throws at the wrong basket. Didn't realize it until after.

I once had a first year partner, might have been his second game ever. He had worked some football though. When a coach requested timeout, he waved his arms over his head. Couldn't help but give him a hard time about that one.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 11:46pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Way back when I was, well, less than 20...
Wait, do intramurals count? I could post a novel of bad calls from those days. (Nothing is more challenging than officiating your peers, when you're barely an adult yourself.)

My favorite: I'm put into an "A" level game, which means varsity athletes from other sports. I'm the lead, and one big dude (former starting quarterback turned pitcher in his senior year) gets hammered by two guys during a lay-up. Easy foul call.

Except, I don't call it. Rationale: I couldn't tell which guy actually fouled him. The QB/P was pretty irate at me, and I don't blame him.

I call those fouls now, and get paid a little better than those days. I'm certain that old QB still barks at officials from time to time, but he gets paid a little better. He's now the head football coach at Old Dominion.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 06:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Thought That It Was Just A Myth ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Gets hammered by two guys during a lay-up. I couldn't tell which guy actually fouled him. I call those fouls now.
The proverbial multiple foul?

Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Two bad call stories:

A) I was the other official. I was working a game where a buddy of mine coaches the home team. Best player on home team is referred to by his coach a Captain Fake Hustle. To avoid actually playing d he will stab and dive at balls he has no chance of getting or that are already out of bounds to make it look like he's working. Will step in as if taking a charge but bail out at any contact at all. Partner has warned him a couple of times about flopping. He's defending the ball as part of a trap. Defended player puts head and shoulders down and pivots hard ripping head/shoulders/ ball etc. Through the trap. Captain Fake Hustle goes down in a heap. Fans want a PC, partner blows whistle and calls a tech on the kid for flopping. Crowd goes nuts, kid stands up spits out a mouthful of blood and a tooth on partners' shoe. Gets teched up for unsportsmanlike conduct. Ruh-Roo Shaggy.

B) Was working down in the US at a girls tournament AAU. THey were apparently using NCAA W rules. I'ld only ever worked FIBA and some NFHS. Early in my first game team A is beng pressued in their backcourt. I call an 8 sec violation for not getting the ball pas the timeline. Everyone the gym starts freaking out. My partner runs in and reminds me that there is no such thing as a 8 sec back court violation in the States and for good measure makes sure to remind me there is no 10 either. No time violations at all in NCAA W for advancing the ball past the timeline. I laughed apologized to the coach, my bad. Inadvertent whistle.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

NOt the worst but toughest

This is not the worst call ever made, but my toughest. I am a doctor. Two weeks ago a 31 year old man comes into my office because of a 10' fall. He thought he had broken his ribs. The CT scan showed he did break 4 ribs, but the CT scan showed something else. I had to look into this man's eyes, a husband and a father of 3 young children, and tell him that the CT scan showed he had lung cancer and it has spread to his adrenal glands and kidneys. Not a very good prognosis. It put all my officiating into perspective. Great calls, toughest calls, easy calls, and worse calls. When you tell a man that his life is over, basically, my worst calls in any games did not compare to this call. Moral of the story, keep the game in perspective, work hard, and count your blessings. I counted mine - my faith, family, friends, and health. I am able to officiate still is an added blessing - great calls and worse calls.