The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   DVBOA...Fans & noise makers (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94171-dvboa-fans-noise-makers.html)

JetMetFan Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:29pm

DVBOA...Fans & noise makers

Again, I really like these DVBOA guys.

How could this situation have been handled better. By the way, the rule in question is NFHS 1-18 (in NCAA it's 10-2-8a).

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6lDGstHMESc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JRutledge Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:33pm

Like I said on another site, just get GM involved and let them handle this. Then I would address the coaches yelling at each other, then move on.

Peace

bob jenkins Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 881555)
Like I said on another site, just get GM involved and let them handle this. Then I would address the coaches yelling at each other, then move on.

Peace

Agreed, and in a freshman game, maybe the head coach IS the GM.

Once play is stopped (and your partner realizes it), no need to keep the hand up.

Address the visiting coach frist before it rises to the level it does.

Maybe in a freshman game, address tell the fans the specific rule (not "don't make any noise" as the coach says, but don't use the thundersticks).

Raymond Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 881564)

Maybe in a freshman game, address tell the fans the specific rule (not "don't make any noise" as the coach says, but don't use the thundersticks).

I worked a game at a small, independent, Christian college. Had a fan using a duck call. I addressed him directly and had no further problem. But in a larger venue I would definitely go through game management.

JRutledge Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 881564)
Agreed, and in a freshman game, maybe the head coach IS the GM.

Once play is stopped (and your partner realizes it), no need to keep the hand up.

Address the visiting coach frist before it rises to the level it does.

That is all fine, but the coaches are not going to be yelling at each other across the court. They can have that conversation together with an official and that part would have to stop. And if the coach is GM, then he needs to get someone else to take care of the situation. I have been to some of the smallest schools in our state and there is always someone other than the coach that can take care of situations like this.

Peace

zm1283 Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:47am

I don't know that I would even notice this in this environment. If it's 200 people at a varsity game, it would be a bigger deal, but a family of three barely slapping those things together? Seems a little OOO.

Nevadaref Mon Feb 25, 2013 06:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 881661)
I don't know that I would even notice this in this environment. If it's 200 people at a varsity game, it would be a bigger deal, but a family of three barely slapping those things together? Seems a little OOO.

So if the little kid were blowing a whistle would you also ignore the rule?
Are there other rules which you don't enforce on the court?

zm1283 Mon Feb 25, 2013 09:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 881676)
So if the little kid were blowing a whistle would you also ignore the rule?

If I heard him blowing the whistle, yes, I would address it because it would probably interfere with the game. Two or three people with thundersticks would probably not be noticed by 99 percent of officials in my area. Or if it were noticed nothing would be done.

Now whether you decide to do anything about it or not, it could definitely be handled better than in the video.

BLydic Mon Feb 25, 2013 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 881696)
If I heard him blowing the whistle, yes, I would address it because it would probably interfere with the game. Two or three people with thundersticks would probably not be noticed by 99 percent of officials in my area. Or if it were noticed nothing would be done.

Now whether you decide to do anything about it or not, it could definitely be handled better than in the video.

Did you happen to turn up the volume when watching the video? Kind of hard not to notice. Again, what other rules are set aside in your game?

Hopefully there's someone other than the coaches around that can go up and talk to these people or if necessary, make a general announcement.

Rich Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 881702)
Did you happen to turn up the volume when watching the video? Kind of hard not to notice. Again, what other rules are set aside in your game?

Whichever ones are traditionally set aside or ignored, of course.

Rich Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:35am

Quote:

Yes. Next question.

Welpe Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:56am

Quote:

It's hard not to notice because the camera is looking right at them. I doubt I'd pay it two minds while on the court.

Something about picking the fly poop out of the pepper.

zm1283 Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 881718)
It's hard not to notice because the camera is looking right at them. I doubt I'd pay it two minds while on the court.

Something about picking the fly poop out of the pepper.

Yep. The video makes it readily apparent what we're looking for. Maybe I would notice it in this game because there are about two dozen people in they gym. If there was a packed gym with three people doing it, there is no way I would even notice it or do anything about it if I did notice it.

fullor30 Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:55pm

Looks like an announced crowd of about 15 fans and an underclass game at 9:00 am saturday morning.

Me? Next dead ball, I'm nicely telling kids to stop as it's against the rules. Should they continue, then I'd ask for 'management'.

Looks like a few students and a child who don't know any better, pretty low key.

Why be Barney Fife?

Also, they didn't see these earlier?????

CTA.......can't teach awareness

"These are great, I bought 200 for my daughter's state final Lacrosse game(which I did) but you can't use them indoors, I'll bet this little guy can make more noise than the sticks though.......sorry that's the rule"

This thing almost turns into an international incident.

APG Mon Feb 25, 2013 02:35pm

Quote:

Quote:

Again, what other rules are set aside in your game?

Sure...I don't call 3 seconds the very second a player is in the key for 3 seconds...and you don't either. I also don't T up a coach for having a toe outside the box...I also don't call multiple fouls. Probably going to ignore T'ing a sub if he enters the court a little early while I'm reporting a foul and just send him back to the table...

As a general statement, I think this question is silly to ask. There are rules that every official knows but is expected not to enforce...either by custom or by "when in Rome."