The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Orange, NJ
Posts: 2,583
DVBOA...Fans & noise makers

Again, I really like these DVBOA guys.

How could this situation have been handled better. By the way, the rule in question is NFHS 1-18 (in NCAA it's 10-2-8a).

__________________
"Everyone has a purpose in life, even if it's only to serve as a bad example."
"If Opportunity knocks and he's not home, Opportunity waits..."
"Don't you have to be stupid somewhere else?" "Not until 4."
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:33pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,182
Like I said on another site, just get GM involved and let them handle this. Then I would address the coaches yelling at each other, then move on.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Like I said on another site, just get GM involved and let them handle this. Then I would address the coaches yelling at each other, then move on.

Peace
Agreed, and in a freshman game, maybe the head coach IS the GM.

Once play is stopped (and your partner realizes it), no need to keep the hand up.

Address the visiting coach frist before it rises to the level it does.

Maybe in a freshman game, address tell the fans the specific rule (not "don't make any noise" as the coach says, but don't use the thundersticks).
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:54pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 14,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
...

Maybe in a freshman game, address tell the fans the specific rule (not "don't make any noise" as the coach says, but don't use the thundersticks).
I worked a game at a small, independent, Christian college. Had a fan using a duck call. I addressed him directly and had no further problem. But in a larger venue I would definitely go through game management.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:57pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Agreed, and in a freshman game, maybe the head coach IS the GM.

Once play is stopped (and your partner realizes it), no need to keep the hand up.

Address the visiting coach frist before it rises to the level it does.

Maybe in a freshman game, address tell the fans the specific rule (not "don't make any noise" as the coach says, but don't use the thundersticks).
That is all fine, but the coaches are not going to be yelling at each other across the court. They can have that conversation together with an official and that part would have to stop. And if the coach is GM, then he needs to get someone else to take care of the situation. I have been to some of the smallest schools in our state and there is always someone other than the coach that can take care of situations like this.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,279
I don't know that I would even notice this in this environment. If it's 200 people at a varsity game, it would be a bigger deal, but a family of three barely slapping those things together? Seems a little OOO.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 06:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I don't know that I would even notice this in this environment. If it's 200 people at a varsity game, it would be a bigger deal, but a family of three barely slapping those things together? Seems a little OOO.
So if the little kid were blowing a whistle would you also ignore the rule?
Are there other rules which you don't enforce on the court?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 09:33am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
So if the little kid were blowing a whistle would you also ignore the rule?
Are there other rules which you don't enforce on the court?
If I heard him blowing the whistle, yes, I would address it because it would probably interfere with the game. Two or three people with thundersticks would probably not be noticed by 99 percent of officials in my area. Or if it were noticed nothing would be done.

Now whether you decide to do anything about it or not, it could definitely be handled better than in the video.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 09:58am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
If I heard him blowing the whistle, yes, I would address it because it would probably interfere with the game. Two or three people with thundersticks would probably not be noticed by 99 percent of officials in my area. Or if it were noticed nothing would be done.

Now whether you decide to do anything about it or not, it could definitely be handled better than in the video.
Did you happen to turn up the volume when watching the video? Kind of hard not to notice. Again, what other rules are set aside in your game?

Hopefully there's someone other than the coaches around that can go up and talk to these people or if necessary, make a general announcement.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:35am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
Did you happen to turn up the volume when watching the video? Kind of hard not to notice. Again, what other rules are set aside in your game?
Whichever ones are traditionally set aside or ignored, of course.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:35am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Are there other rules which you don't enforce on the court?
Yes. Next question.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:56am
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
Did you happen to turn up the volume when watching the video? Kind of hard not to notice. Again, what other rules are set aside in your game?
It's hard not to notice because the camera is looking right at them. I doubt I'd pay it two minds while on the court.

Something about picking the fly poop out of the pepper.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:36am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It's hard not to notice because the camera is looking right at them. I doubt I'd pay it two minds while on the court.

Something about picking the fly poop out of the pepper.
Yep. The video makes it readily apparent what we're looking for. Maybe I would notice it in this game because there are about two dozen people in they gym. If there was a packed gym with three people doing it, there is no way I would even notice it or do anything about it if I did notice it.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Looks like an announced crowd of about 15 fans and an underclass game at 9:00 am saturday morning.

Me? Next dead ball, I'm nicely telling kids to stop as it's against the rules. Should they continue, then I'd ask for 'management'.

Looks like a few students and a child who don't know any better, pretty low key.

Why be Barney Fife?

Also, they didn't see these earlier?????

CTA.......can't teach awareness

"These are great, I bought 200 for my daughter's state final Lacrosse game(which I did) but you can't use them indoors, I'll bet this little guy can make more noise than the sticks though.......sorry that's the rule"

This thing almost turns into an international incident.

Last edited by fullor30; Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 01:10pm.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 02:35pm
APG APG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Are there other rules which you don't enforce on the court?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post

Again, what other rules are set aside in your game?
Sure...I don't call 3 seconds the very second a player is in the key for 3 seconds...and you don't either. I also don't T up a coach for having a toe outside the box...I also don't call multiple fouls. Probably going to ignore T'ing a sub if he enters the court a little early while I'm reporting a foul and just send him back to the table...

As a general statement, I think this question is silly to ask. There are rules that every official knows but is expected not to enforce...either by custom or by "when in Rome."
__________________
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Screening plays from our friends at the DVBOA JetMetFan Basketball 58 Thu Feb 28, 2013 03:17pm
DVBOA...Phantom travels JetMetFan Basketball 28 Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:27am
band/noise makers oc Basketball 11 Thu Aug 30, 2007 06:41pm
Deranged Test Makers just another ref Basketball 10 Mon Nov 03, 2003 07:47am
Artificial Noise Makers/Grasping the rim CLAY Basketball 25 Fri Feb 28, 2003 01:37am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1