The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 02:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
looks like there may have been some intent there, but it will have to be more obvious than that to go flag 2.
Intent has nothing to do with the rule.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 02:41pm
Ok is the new good

Show me the Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And remember that the guys from the Southern California area that are officiating Division I basketball this season were officiating girls middle school games just last season.
How about the upgrade in game fees
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Intent has nothing to do with the rule.

Peace
ok. What would make you go with a Flag 2 on a similar play? what would make it flag 1 or 2 in your book? what do you need to see? real question. no sarcasm. i just think intent can get you into trouble without contact. a punch or kick is flag 2 without contact. you intended to hit or kick that player even though you didn't thought?

Last edited by AKOFL; Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 02:55pm.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 03:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
ok. What would make you go with a Flag 2 on a similar play? what would make it flag 1 or 2 in your book? what do you need to see? real question. no sarcasm. i just think intent can get you into trouble without contact. a punch or kick is flag 2 without contact. you intended to hit or kick that player even though you didn't thought?
First of all a punch and a kick are two different things and fit a different definition that could result in a FF2. This was a basketball play and a because all contact at the NCAA level with the elbows above the shoulders are FFs, then this just fits the definition. But this was not savage in nature or even out of bounds from a common sense point of view.

Here are the definitions.

c. Flagrant 1 personal foul. A flagrant 1 personal foul shall be a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:
1. Causing excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball;
2. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;
3. Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score;
4. Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting; and
5. Contact with a player making a throw-in. (Women) This act shall also serve as a team warning for reaching through the boundary. (See Rule 4-17.1.g.)
6. Illegal contact with an elbow that occurs above the shoulders of an opponent when the elbows are not swung excessively per 4-36.7.a.

d. Flagrant 2 personal foul. A flagrant 2 personal foul shall be a personal foul that involves contact with an opponent that is not only excessive, but also severe or extreme while the ball is live.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First of all a punch and a kick are two different things and fit a different definition that could result in a FF2. This was a basketball play and a because all contact at the NCAA level with the elbows above the shoulders are FFs, then this just fits the definition. But this was not savage in nature or even out of bounds from a common sense point of view.

Here are the definitions.

c. Flagrant 1 personal foul. A flagrant 1 personal foul shall be a personal foul that is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but not based solely on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:
1. Causing excessive contact with an opponent while playing the ball;
2. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;
3. Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score;
4. Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting; and
5. Contact with a player making a throw-in. (Women) This act shall also serve as a team warning for reaching through the boundary. (See Rule 4-17.1.g.)
6. Illegal contact with an elbow that occurs above the shoulders of an opponent when the elbows are not swung excessively per 4-36.7.a.

d. Flagrant 2 personal foul. A flagrant 2 personal foul shall be a personal foul that involves contact with an opponent that is not only excessive, but also severe or extreme while the ball is live.

Peace
agreed.

But if you see a player look right at the defender and swing his elbow in a legal manner right into the head that wouldn't factor into your decision? I open to changing my view on this.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 03:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
agreed.

But if you see a player look right at the defender and swing his elbow in a legal manner right into the head that wouldn't factor into your decision? I open to changing my view on this.
OK. He looked at him and that is your justification for a FF2? So what if he missed? Are we considering that a punch too?

Do not make this more complicated than it is. You asked and I doubt many officials with any common sense are going to consider this slight contact as savage in nature. I have seen a lot worse that would never result in an ejection and not advocated as such by the powers that be. And really not trying to change your mind, you asked a question and I am giving you an answer. You do with that information whatever you choose to do with it. I know what I would call and what I would not call.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Ff1
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

That court should be a FF1. It is probably one of the ugliest and most distracting things I have ever seen.

I also love the leads Oh S@#$ mechanics to blow the ball dead.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK. He looked at him and that is your justification for a FF2? So what if he missed? Are we considering that a punch too?

Do not make this more complicated than it is. You asked and I doubt many officials with any common sense are going to consider this slight contact as savage in nature. I have seen a lot worse that would never result in an ejection and not advocated as such by the powers that be. And really not trying to change your mind, you asked a question and I am giving you an answer. You do with that information whatever you choose to do with it. I know what I would call and what I would not call.

Peace
point taken. on a side note, thanks for noticing my lack of common sense.

Last edited by AKOFL; Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 04:36pm.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 04:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
point taken. on a side note, thanks for noticing my lack of common sense.
I do not recall that you were on the game, so you were asking a question if anyone felt that it was a FF2 right?

Peace
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not recall that you were on the game, so you were asking a question if anyone felt that it was a FF2 right?

Peace
not that play. it was ff1 all the way. my question was if you could clearly see some one was throwing the elbow on purpose and made contact, ( similar to post) that would not be enought for u to upgrade to ff2. the contact would have to be severe in nature. just because he was trying to elbow him in the head is not enough. You cannot use intent to get that call. I get it now. just fail to understand why i have no common sense
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 05:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
not that play. it was ff1 all the way. my question was if you could clearly see some one was throwing the elbow on purpose and made contact, ( similar to post) that would not be enought for u to upgrade to ff2. the contact would have to be severe in nature. just because he was trying to elbow him in the head is not enough. You cannot use intent to get that call. I get it now. just fail to understand why i have no common sense
It is the action, not the intent or lack there of. The player can hit someone in the face with an elbow and it could be accidental and be a FF1 or 2.

And your lack of common sense is something you will have to evaluate. I just said that an official with common sense would not look at this on video and say, "That was a FF2." Now since you were not reviewing the play in this particular game and making a decision (same as me), not sure why the common sense part of my stance applied to you at all? But then again is the day in the life of people on this board, personalize everything.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Here's the NCAA rule (2-13.2.d)

Art 2. Officials may use such available equipment [Replay/Television Equipment] only in the following situations:
d. Fouls.
1. Determine if a flagrant 2 personal foul, flagrant 2 contact technical foul or (women) flagrant 1 personal foul for illegal contact with an elbow above the shoulders of an opponent or a (women) contact dead ball technical foul for illegal contact with an elbow above the shoulders of an opponent occurred. When it is determined that a flagrant 2 contact technical foul did not occur but a flagrant 1 personal foul, or contact dead ball technical foul did occur, those fouls shall be penalized accordingly. However, no other infractions may be penalized.
a. When there is a foul called for contact, the officials, with a plausible reason, may review the severity of that foul during the dead ball period following the call. When the ball becomes live, there shall be no review of the made call.
b. A coach may request a monitor review to determine if any of the fouls in 2-13.2.d.1 occurred. When no such foul is assessed, a timeout shall be charged to that team.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes you can. If there's intent to strike, then get the FF2. Or, if the elbows are swung excessively (meaning faster than the torso; using the shoulders as a pivot), and there's contact above the shoulders.

This play was a FF1.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Seeing it live, first thought was a flop as Kazemi fell straight back, plus there was no immediate call.
Both L and T were straight-lined so they missed it.

With an injured player, just stop the game, to hell with mechanics.

Kazemi suffered a cut around his gum line.