The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   VC coaching in stands... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94132-vc-coaching-stands.html)

BigT Thu Feb 21, 2013 03:09pm

VC coaching in stands...

Had this happen a few times this year and I can't seem to find a rule or just need counsel.

I am working a Soph/JV game and happen to know the VC. He hit me in a college camp parking lot. He is sitting on the opposite bench area coaching his kids. He also would occasionally throw a fit on what he deemed a missed call.

What are the penalty s if any or advice on how to handle him.

Thanks in advance,

tjones1 Thu Feb 21, 2013 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 880992)
Had this happen a few times this year and I can't seem to find a rule or just need counsel.

I am working a Soph/JV game and happen to know the VC. He hit me in a college camp parking lot. He is sitting on the opposite bench area coaching his kids. He also would occasionally throw a fit on what he deemed a missed call.

Thanks in advance,

Hit you? Did you file charges?

If he's a "fan", treat him like a fan and kick him out.

maven Thu Feb 21, 2013 03:13pm

If he's not on the bench, he's a fan. Have game management remove him if his behavior warrants it.

If he IS on the bench, he's the head coach's problem. Have that coach address it, or issue a technical foul (indirect on the head coach). The latter is generally followed in short order by a 2nd T. :)

JetMetFan Thu Feb 21, 2013 03:17pm

For the future, let your assignor know what the situation is and ask that you not have any more of that team's games.

As for the game itself, since you have few options once you're in the gym, as the others said as long as he's a fan leave it alone. Let your partner know along with game management.

JRutledge Thu Feb 21, 2013 03:25pm

I do not care who he is, if he is in the stands he is a fan and only a fan. The only other thing I would do differently is report that person to the state or governing body if I know this was a representative of a school. At least it would be in a file that any other behavior would be addressed and noted based on this action.

Peace

letemplay Thu Feb 21, 2013 03:50pm

Hand over your paycheck to one of the Var officials on next game to let you take his spot, or at least come out and go through oncourt pregame. Love to see that coaches face then:)

deecee Thu Feb 21, 2013 04:11pm

Quote:

He hit me in a college camp parking lot.

Can we focus on this? What was this about?

MD Longhorn Thu Feb 21, 2013 04:23pm

Quote:

Thanks in advance,

I'm curious why you feel the need to handle him or do anything about him at all. He's a fan - just like the rest of the fans. If he's so unruly that he can't be ignored - just like any other fan - have GM handle it. 99.99% of the time, just as any other fan ... if he's just complaining, ignore him.

I think my main concern is why you would choose to focus on this particular fan, just because of his occupation.

(Regarding the "he hit me", I'd think that would have been handled already in the past - I hope you pressed charges at the time, but if you did, and the whole thing is resolved, and he's still coaching, well - live with it or officiate elsewhere if he makes you uncomfortable ... but the "he hit me" should have nothing to do with this situation)

BigT Thu Feb 21, 2013 04:31pm

He hit me with his piece of junk trunk. I swear I read something about coaching personnel coaching from areas off the bench. If you all havent heard of it I understand.

I am sure site management is scared of the VC and is not going to talk to him. Yet it was a nice idea. They work together.

rockyroad Thu Feb 21, 2013 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 881013)
He hit me with his piece of junk trunk. I swear I read something about coaching personnel coaching from areas off the bench. If you all havent heard of it I understand.

I am sure site management is scared of the VC and is not going to talk to him. Yet it was a nice idea. They work together.

Still confused...he swung and hit you with a large suitcase? Or he backed his car into your car in a parking lot? Or he backed his car into you as you were walking in the parking lot?

And it makes no difference who works with whom...at that moment, the GM person has authority over that Coach...I don't know of a single AD or Principal in our area who would not back up their Game Management personnel in a situation like this.

MD Longhorn Thu Feb 21, 2013 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigT (Post 881013)
He hit me with his piece of junk trunk.

And then what happened? Surely you pressed charges. If you didn't, did you report it to anyone ... and what was the result.

Quote:

I can see that being an issue... but if something got serious enough (and I stress again that it's got to be WAY over the top, and not just loud chirping or things like you said in the OP), and you had to stop things down to address it with GM - if GM didn't do anything about it, you'd DEFINITELY need to discuss with your assignor.

You have not said if this guy's antics were such that you would do something about them if it was just some run of the mill fan... if you wouldn't... then ignore it on the VC as well.

billyu2 Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:02pm

Quote:

Saw a similar situation a few years ago during parts of the second half of the JV game. The varsity coach would come out of his lockerroom to sit in the opposite end of the bleachers from the JV team coaching players when he had the opportunity. This obviously caught the attention of the nearby opposing JV coach who rightfully felt disadvantaged that the other team was receiving coaching instructions at both ends of the gym. The officials felt unsure if they could do anything about it. We had a chance to discuss briefly before the varsity game and my opinion to them was, and still is, that in this situation (JV/V game) the varsity coach is not a "fan" but is clearly defined in 4-34 and the performance of any of his duties should be done within the bench location provided by game management. (1-13-1) I don't have a problem if the coach is just watching the game; but if he is going to coach players and have occasional fits over calls then he is subject to penalties under bench personnel. If we were to turn this around, would we allow this in the varsity game if an assistant or JV coach were to position himself at the opposite end of the bleachers calling out plays or defensive alignments?

BillyMac Fri Feb 22, 2013 07:31am

Nice Citation ...

Quote:

The varsity coach is not a "fan" but is clearly defined in 4-34 and the performance of any of his duties should be done within the bench location provided by game management.

Bench personnel are all individuals who are part of or affiliated with
a team, including, but not limited to: substitutes, coaches, manager(s) and
statistician(s).

Raymond Fri Feb 22, 2013 09:44am

Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Can you please sit at a keyboard and give all the facts to this situation. I'm thoroughly confused at this point.

APG Fri Feb 22, 2013 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 881057)

Saw a similar situation a few years ago during parts of the second half of the JV game. The varsity coach would come out of his lockerroom to sit in the opposite end of the bleachers from the JV team coaching players when he had the opportunity. This obviously caught the attention of the nearby opposing JV coach who rightfully felt disadvantaged that the other team was receiving coaching instructions at both ends of the gym. The officials felt unsure if they could do anything about it. We had a chance to discuss briefly before the varsity game and my opinion to them was, and still is, that in this situation (JV/V game) the varsity coach is not a "fan" but is clearly defined in 4-34 and the performance of any of his duties should be done within the bench location provided by game management. (1-13-1) I don't have a problem if the coach is just watching the game; but if he is going to coach players and have occasional fits over calls then he is subject to penalties under bench personnel. If we were to turn this around, would we allow this in the varsity game if an assistant or JV coach were to position himself at the opposite end of the bleachers calling out plays or defensive alignments?

Coaching players and having the occasional fit over calls? That sounds exactly like a fan.