The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Unshaven

Lately I have been working with more and more guys who come to referee unshaven. ( unshaved?)

No, they are not growing a beard or anything, they just don't shave. Personally, I shave before every varsity contest. For a JV game, I may go with 1 days growth, but it's not much. Most people would not know I did not shave.

What's up with this? Is it happening everywhere?

Rumor has it that referees with beards and facial hair, don't get the best games, true for false?

I have no facial hair, haven't for a long time ( I am 57 and shaved everything when I was 35. )
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
( I am 57 and shaved everything when I was 35. )
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

I can tell you the vast majority of officials I come in contact have no facial hair. I do see some mustaches, but nothing else. I do see some officials with a beard but that is rare. Basically that standard is not as strict at the HS level, but rather strict at the college level. It was suggested to me to cut my beard in order to work for certain people, I have done that and was never hurt by that issue. Still have a clean mustache but I can do that.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Funny you started this thread as I literally just came back from the men's room at my office after doing a quick trimmer shave (don't use razors- sensitive skin) for my game tonight.

There are a few officials I've worked with who show up unshaved. And I would say in general they do not get very good games. Not necessarily because of the facial hair but IMO b/c the lack of attention to detail and in some respects, professionalism, shows up in other areas as well.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I shave every day I work a game. Basketball, football, baseball -- it doesn't matter. This time of the year, I usually don't shave on Wednesdays and Sundays -- my two days off during the week.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Lately I have been working with more and more guys who come to referee unshaven.
What about the gals?
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

I have shaved driving to a game using drivers side visor vanity mirror...this is harder than texting
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

I cannot shave daily. When I was in the military I had a shaving waiver. If I shave more frequently than every 4 days my skin pays the price. Part of my 40% disability from the VA includes pseudofolliculitis.

The area of my face where I can grow a goatee is a lot more sensitive than the rest of my face. So on occasion if I have a heavy schedule I will have a goatee for a high school game. Other times if it is a low visibility game I will have a 5 o'clock shadow. My college schedule is not heavy enough (13 games this season is my career high) yet for it to be a problem at that level but I always come clean shaven for a college game or will shave in the locker room prior to the game.

So don't make assumptions about everybody who doesn't shave. In fact I'm working a regional semi-final tonight with a guy who has always kept a full, short beard since I've known him and he has worked multiple State Final Four games.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... Still have a clean mustache but I can do that.

Peace
Yep, an accepted double standard in the basketball officiating world. I had a JuCo supervisor who mentioned this every year. Never found out how this originated.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I cannot shave daily. When I was in the military I had a shaving waiver. If I shave more frequently than every 4 days my skin pays the price. Part of my 40% disability from the VA includes pseudofolliculitis.

The area of my face where I can grow a goatee is a lot more sensitive than the rest of my face. So on occasion if I have a heavy schedule I will have a goatee for a high school game. Other times if it is a low visibility game I will have a 5 o'clock shadow. My college schedule is not heavy enough (13 games this season is my career high) yet for it to be a problem at that level but I always come clean shaven for a college game or will shave in the locker room prior to the game.

So don't make assumptions about everybody who doesn't shave. In fact I'm working a regional semi-final tonight with a guy who has always kept a full, short beard since I've known him and he has worked multiple State Final Four games.
Sorry, I'm talking about those people who don't, not those who can't. I understand that not everyone can shave daily.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

My take

There have been lots of studies done about facial hair vs. non-facial hair as it relates to trust worthiness. These studies have shown: those with no facial hair, have more trust from strangers than those with hair.

As a result, I shave before every varsity contest. I give coaches enough reason to not trust me with my calls, I don't want to add not shaving too
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:45pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Just like in the military.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I can tell you the vast majority of officials I come in contact have no facial hair.
+1 It's frowned upon here.

I have other things to worry about, so this is one I can easily check off!

When in Rome!
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:12pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Yep, an accepted double standard in the basketball officiating world.
Mustaches are allowed but not other facial hair?
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Mustaches are allowed but not other facial hair?
For African Americans, yes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:19pm
I miss being on the floor

I was clean shaven for most of my games. In fact I had my (ex)girlfriend buy me an electric razor for Christmas one year so I could shave more often. Hated shaving with a razor every other day.