The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shoot or OOB? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94022-shoot-oob.html)

BigT Wed Feb 13, 2013 04:12pm

Shoot or OOB?

A1 is shooting a 3 pointer and while in the air and after the release of the ball B5 fouls A5. The ball goes in. What do we do next?

A1 is shooting a 3 pointer and while in the air and after the release of the ball B5 fouls A5. The shot is missed. What do we do next?

I dont have my rule book and wanted to get some answers as some folks are saying we shoot and others the ball is given to team A OOB.

Thanks in advance

Lotto Wed Feb 13, 2013 04:16pm

The basket counts if the ball goes in. If A is in the bonus, A5 shoots FTs. Otherwise, A gets the ball out of bounds at the spot nearest the foul.

So both are right. :)

MD Longhorn Wed Feb 13, 2013 04:47pm

The basket is the basket - if it goes in, count it... and either way, ignore it for purposes of the foul.

Now... you have a normal foul on B5. Administer it.

Scratch85 Wed Feb 13, 2013 04:56pm

More info

"and while in the air"

What is in the air, the ball or the shooter? If an airborne shooter is fouled, you shoot FT's. If the shooter has released the ball and returned to the floor or never left the floor, it is not a shooting foul and you administer accordingly. It being a 3-pointer has no bearing on the play.

MD Longhorn Wed Feb 13, 2013 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 879180)
"and while in the air"

What is in the air, the ball or the shooter? If an airborne shooter is fouled, you shoot FT's. If the shooter has released the ball and returned to the floor or never left the floor, it is not a shooting foul and you administer accordingly. It being a 3-pointer has no bearing on the play.

Well... given that it's A1 shooting, and it's A5 getting fouled - it's not going to be a shooting foul, is it?

Scratch85 Wed Feb 13, 2013 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 879181)
Well... given that it's A1 shooting, and it's A5 getting fouled - it's not going to be a shooting foul, is it?

My mistake. I never have been good with letters and numbers combined. :o

Freddy Wed Feb 13, 2013 05:34pm

"Hank Gathers" the Ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 879180)
If the shooter . . . never left the floor, it is not a shooting foul . . .

This is not necessarily correct. Player can be in the act of shooting while yet "on the floor."

just another ref Wed Feb 13, 2013 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 879187)
This is not necessarily correct. Player can be in the act of shooting while yet "on the floor."

Not after the release.

Freddy Wed Feb 13, 2013 07:19pm

Diced and Sliced a Little Too Much

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 879196)
Not after the release.

Correct. Perhaps I diced up the compound sentence too much. If the release happened, then I of course see your point. Yet I still run into some who think that prior to the release if the shooter is still on the floor it cannot be a shooting foul. That's what I was reacting to.