The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Louisville @ ND, Rich's video request #1 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93983-louisville-nd-richs-video-request-1-a.html)

OKREF Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 878603)
Louisville, dude, Louisville.

My bad, my bad.:eek:

OKREF Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 878604)
I agree, probably wasn't clear that I liked the call made in the video and was only responding to a specific address of the ND player getting pushed. While there may be a push, forearm in the chest, there's no doubt a whistle was needed on #45 for the undercut IMO.

Again, any questioning of the call would be highly difficult with the look the lead had on the play.

The shove by 44 caused the undercut. In normal play I wouldn't get that, however, in this play you can't penalize 45 for getting shoved into 21's path.

Welpe Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 878628)
The shove by 44 caused the undercut. In normal play I wouldn't get that, however, in this play you can't penalize 45 for getting shoved into 21's path.

I'm not seeing that. I see 45 jumping back on his own with 44's push being incidental to him going in that direction.

I admit at first I did not like this call but watching it a few more times and I agree with it.

OKREF Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 878636)
I'm not seeing that. I see 45 jumping back on his own with 44's push being incidental to him going in that direction.

I admit at first I did not like this call but watching it a few more times and I agree with it.

When I first saw it I thought that also. The shot from under the basket changed my mind. I think that the shove is enough to put 45 into the path. However, I'm not judging the guy. That's a tough call.

canuckrefguy Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:54am

Man, talk about physicality and big bodies in the paint. A tough, tough series of events to officiate. I can see why these guys make the big bucks. Having said that, I'm going to dissent here.

If I were ND's coach, I'd be asking precisely what #45 did wrong on this play.

First, he can't even see LOU5, who comes flying in - so not sure how you can make the call that ND45 undercuts him.

Second, if ND45 moves backwards, it's a combination of moving slightly backwards to try and get the rebound - and being helped by LOU44 tangling up with him and/or pushing him backwards with a forearm.

You basically have ND45 get tangled up with two red bodies on this play - neither of which is his fault, IMO.

Even at this level, I say call the obvious. Foul on Louisville #5.

Whatever the case, I'm just glad I didn't have to clean that mess up. Sheesh :eek:

Camron Rust Tue Feb 12, 2013 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 878636)

I agree....44's arm, while there, isn't what caused the undercut. 45 did that on his own.

#olderthanilook Tue Feb 12, 2013 02:30pm

Solid call. It was bang bang, but the offensive rebounder collected the rebound w/o contacting the defender, who ended up backing into him.

Line 'em up. Shooting 2.

Adam Tue Feb 12, 2013 03:24pm

We went over video like this at the beginning of our season. Instruction was to get the inside guy when he backs out like this. Too many players think inside position means being able to back through the opponent.

fullor30 Tue Feb 12, 2013 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuckrefguy (Post 878652)
Man, talk about physicality and big bodies in the paint. A tough, tough series of events to officiate. I can see why these guys make the big bucks. Having said that, I'm going to dissent here.

If I were ND's coach, I'd be asking precisely what #45 did wrong on this play.

First, he can't even see LOU5, who comes flying in - so not sure how you can make the call that ND45 undercuts him.

Second, if ND45 moves backwards, it's a combination of moving slightly backwards to try and get the rebound - and being helped by LOU44 tangling up with him and/or pushing him backwards with a forearm.

You basically have ND45 get tangled up with two red bodies on this play - neither of which is his fault, IMO.

Even at this level, I say call the obvious. Foul on Louisville #5.

Whatever the case, I'm just glad I didn't have to clean that mess up. Sheesh :eek:

What does that have to do with anything as it pertains to any call for that matter?

canuckrefguy Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 878854)
What does that have to do with anything as it pertains to any call for that matter?

Not necessarily saying it's the determining factor.

My observations were strictly of the 'call the obvious' variety.

OKREF Wed Feb 13, 2013 09:18am

I had a call like this earlier in the eyear. A1 is inside of B1, however it is a long rebound, both jump up and A1 jumps backwards and gets under B1 as he is coming down. A1 literally cuts B1 as he is coming down. I called it on A1 and A coach just couldn't understand why it was on his player, since he had inside position. Tried to explain, but he never got it.