The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 08, 2013, 11:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Once in a blue moon...

Worked a BV game tonight. Total of 12 fouls -- 5 in the first half (3-2) and 7 in the second half (4-3). 9 point game at the half, ended up about a 15 point margin.

I actually realized with about 1:30 left until halftime that my partner had called all 5 fouls (2-person game). Played the final 90 seconds and spent halftime thinking the only whistles I blew were on out of bounds calls.

A minute into the third quarter, I remembered the EASY illegal screen I called in the first half. There went that.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2013, 08:03am
Archaic Power Monger

How much of your check did you give your partner?
Old Sat Feb 09, 2013, 09:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
How much of your check did you give your partner?
None. I called 4 of the 7 in the second half.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2013, 12:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I had a great time. Partner was a college student - newer official. He did a nice job. Guys like him are the future of officiating.

I gave him my card and suggested our association and another one closer to where he goes to school.

One disturbing thing he told me - he's working some youth games free of charge this afternoon in exchange for the promise to be "put on the list" for freshman and JV games next season. Really? To get FR/JV games? I may need to hook this kid up with some ADs. Annoys me they'd use people in this way - guys that are new who we need ti keep around.

Now, a few days off.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2013, 04:41pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Yeperdoodle!

Games like that are rare.

I did a B18U game in a local Rec League this week - 2 x 20 min halves w/ a 3 minute half-time. Didn't hit the one-and-one either half - 53 minutes! Nice!!

Wish they were all like that......

Of course, game two was really no fun at all!
Old Sat Feb 09, 2013, 05:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I had a great time. Partner was a college student - newer official. He did a nice job. Guys like him are the future of officiating.

I gave him my card and suggested our association and another one closer to where he goes to school.

One disturbing thing he told me - he's working some youth games free of charge this afternoon in exchange for the promise to be "put on the list" for freshman and JV games next season. Really? To get FR/JV games? I may need to hook this kid up with some ADs. Annoys me they'd use people in this way - guys that are new who we need ti keep around.

Now, a few days off.
I posted this in the wrong thread. This post had to do with my varsity reserve game this morning. I was in the car after a shower 75 minutes after the opening tip.

They put 5 minutes on the clock at halftime. Went to our locker room to get a drink and pack my jacket and promptly forgot the shortened halftime. Someone had to come get us. Clearly, my internal clock is set for 10 minutes.

Last night I worked with a usual partner who just texted me to tell me his partner today called the only foul of the first quarter with 4.8 seconds left.