The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Irate Coach! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93916-irate-coach.html)

The_Rookie Wed Feb 06, 2013 06:57pm

Irate Coach!

Our Assignor received an email from an Irate Coach which I will paste a portion below.

How should this be handled??

Yesterday one of the officials assigned to our game made a critical mistake
that had a huge impact on the outcome of the game. Down by 4 points, we
fouled a player from XYZ with 9.4 seconds left. At the time that was
our 9th team foul. The girls line up and the official under the basket
signals for a 1 and 1. the first free throw is missed and one of my player
gets the rebound but the referee under the basket steps onto
the court. The back official blows da whistle. After a
conference it is decided that its a jump ball and based on possession it
was ABC's ball.

stiffler3492 Wed Feb 06, 2013 07:02pm

Maybe Da Coach (no, not that Da Coach) should read Da Rulebook and find Da Rule. So next time Da Coach hears Da Ref blow Da Whistle, he'll know what it's for.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

APG Wed Feb 06, 2013 07:06pm

Since the administering gave the correct information about the number of free throws, this is an inadvertent whistle... resume from the point of interruption which in this case, a throw-in to the team in control of the ball.

Jesse James Wed Feb 06, 2013 07:15pm

The irate coach from ABC ought to be sending the officials a thank-you note for screwing up. Now they can push the ball with a long inbounds pass without losing precious seconds. Erroneously losing the arrow with under 9.4 left isn't likely to hurt them anyway.

APG Wed Feb 06, 2013 07:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse James (Post 877555)
The irate coach from ABC ought to be sending the officials a thank-you note for screwing up. Now they can push the ball with a long inbounds pass without losing precious seconds. Erroneously losing the arrow with under 9.4 left isn't likely to hurt them anyway.

It also gives the defense a chance to set up when his team could have pushed the ball up the court (9.4 seconds is plenty of time) and have the defense scrambling.

The_Rookie Wed Feb 06, 2013 07:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse James (Post 877555)

MY BAD...The arrow was point to XYZ...The coach from ABC was irate because he lost a possession due to the whistle and he was down 4 with 3 timeouts left

Adam Wed Feb 06, 2013 07:28pm

Officials screwed up. Flogging is acceptable.

Jesse James Wed Feb 06, 2013 07:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 877558)
MY BAD...The arrow was point to XYZ...The coach from ABC was irate because he lost a possession due to the whistle and he was down 4 with 3 timeouts left

Now he should be mad

Mark Padgett Wed Feb 06, 2013 08:25pm

Did your assignor reply by explaining the "no overtime" policy? :p

SAJ Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse James (Post 877561)
Now he should be mad

he should be mad as his own horrid use of timeouts, or lack thereof...

APG Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 877567)

Coach has every right to be mad at a rules misapplication...whether he would have gotten the ball back with the arrow or not.

RookieDude Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:14pm

Did ABC Coach protest the game?

just another ref Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 877558)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 877567)

What do timeouts have to do with any of this?

AremRed Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 877572)
What do timeouts have to do with any of this?

The coach of ABC still had 3 timeouts with only 9.4 seconds left on the clock. All we can do is guess, but I think SAJ means the coach should have used his timeouts earlier so as to preserve more time on the clock.

APG Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 877573)
The coach of ABC still had 3 timeouts with only 9.4 seconds left on the clock. All we can do is guess, but I think SAJ means the coach should have used his timeouts earlier so as to preserve more time on the clock.

And that has nothing to do with the officials misapplying a rule.