The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Irate Coach! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93916-irate-coach.html)

Raymond Thu Feb 07, 2013 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanwestref (Post 877573)
The coach of ABC still had 3 timeouts with only 9.4 seconds left on the clock. All we can do is guess, but I think SAJ means the coach should have used his timeouts earlier so as to preserve more time on the clock.

Most time-out are called when the clock is stopped or when that team is in possession of the ball, don't see how that would preserve time on the clock. :confused:

It's not football where you have downs.

Raymond Thu Feb 07, 2013 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 877579)
Thank goodness, his team never turned the ball over once, or never missed a free throw. It's all the officials fault...

You don't think a coach should be upset if there is a rules mis-application or a terrible error in judgment in the last 10 seconds of a closely contested game?

Jay R Thu Feb 07, 2013 08:54am

Rookie,

The OP asks "How should this be handled"? Do you mean the situation on the floor or how it should be handled now that it's over.

On the floor, you can't go back. But these are lessons that stay with us. Late in the game, all officials have to be on top of such things.

If it was me, I would apologize to the coach; probably through my assignor. Some may not agree with this but I believe that coaches appreciate that officials are capable of admitting a mistake. The coach wrote a letter that was reasonable; he did not ask for heads to roll. A reasonable response from the assignor or association would be appropriate.

Welpe Thu Feb 07, 2013 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 877632)

I also think the OP should not have modified what was said in the letter (da whistle) to make it seem like the coach was saying something he didn't.

That struck me as odd.

SAJ Thu Feb 07, 2013 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 877570)
Coach has every right to be mad at a rules misapplication...whether he would have gotten the ball back with the arrow or not.

i didn't say he shouldn't be mad

SAJ Thu Feb 07, 2013 09:15am

Why would lead official who just said 1n1 to the girls "come onto the court" after the miss? The coaches interpretation of the situation doesn't make sense.

It'd have to a quick whistle to come before anyone rebounds the miss. Thus, give the ball to ABC at POI.

deecee Thu Feb 07, 2013 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 877641)
Why would lead official who just said 1n1 to the girls "come onto the court" after the miss? The coaches interpretation of the situation doesn't make sense.

It'd have to a quick whistle to come before anyone rebounds the miss. Thus, give the ball to ABC at POI.

There are just some bad officials out there. Level of play has nothing to do with that. We don't know the whole story but if we take it at face value the officials screwed up. Did it effect the outcome? Who knows, but most likely not.

Tio Thu Feb 07, 2013 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 877632)
All of you who are claiming the officials made a mistake (going with the arrow) may be giving this letter too much weight and you're assuming the coach is telling the whole story. If the officials deemed that the play was dead before the rebound was secured, they were correct in going with the arrow. We all know there are two sides to every story. I'm going to assume the coach embellished a bit because he was upset and perhaps didn't understand the whole situation.

I also think the OP should not have modified what was said in the letter (da whistle) to make it seem like the coach was saying something he didn't.

Agreed that there could be another side to the story, but remember what the coach said that the offense lined nobody up and that defense secured the rebound. Going to the AP favoring the offense is not correct.

More importantly, our concentration needs to be better, especially at the end of the game. A lack of focus buried this crew which would be a shame if they reffed the rest of the game well.

The_Rookie Thu Feb 07, 2013 03:26pm

The Assignor and Head of Training for our Association has a meeting scheduled with the AD and HC. Plus they will review the video of the game as well.

I will update the outcome of these meetings

Adam Thu Feb 07, 2013 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 877755)
The Assignor and Head of Training for our Association has a meeting scheduled with the AD and HC. Plus they will review the video of the game as well.

I will update the outcome of these meetings

Are they ok with you posting this on the interwebs?