The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quarter Length

Long time listener, first time caller. First year officiating, worked every game as the official scorer at our local for 5 years and partnered with a guy that has been doing it a decade.

At a freshman girls game, the guy at the scoring table has 7 minutes on the clock to start the game. I have worked 5 games previously at the same school with the same scoring table. The coaches ask for 8 minutes per quarter, I told them that every previous game has been 7 minute quarters. They informed me that it is not up to you and that it's up to the coaches. I defer to my non-normal partner who really didn't give a darn, so he says sure.

I wanted to say, "I hope you are not keeping a win-loss record since your games don't have a consistent length. And if we have overtime, how long would you like that to be."

Has anyone ran across this? In 5 years of doing every middle school, JV, and Varsity games at the table I never heard of this coming up.

Who is it up to? Thanks,

Ben
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 5-5-2...for your viewing pleasure...

...and 5-5-3

Quote:
ART. 2

Games involving only students below the ninth grade shall be played in six-minute quarters with intermissions as in Article 1. An organization sponsoring games involving teams which combine ninth-grade students with students in the eighth and/or seventh grades, may play those games in quarters of eight minutes.

ART. 3

A quarter(s) may be shortened in an emergency or at any time by mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and referee. Playing time and *number of quarters for nonvarsity game quarters may be reduced by mutual agreement of opposing coaches.

NOTE: A state association by adoption may institute a running clock when a specified point differential is reached at a specified time in the game.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Feb 05, 2013, 11:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Long time listener, first time caller. First year officiating, worked every game as the official scorer at our local for 5 years and partnered with a guy that has been doing it a decade.

At a freshman girls game, the guy at the scoring table has 7 minutes on the clock to start the game. I have worked 5 games previously at the same school with the same scoring table. The coaches ask for 8 minutes per quarter, I told them that every previous game has been 7 minute quarters. They informed me that it is not up to you and that it's up to the coaches. I defer to my non-normal partner who really didn't give a darn, so he says sure.

I wanted to say, "I hope you are not keeping a win-loss record since your games don't have a consistent length. And if we have overtime, how long would you like that to be."

Has anyone ran across this? In 5 years of doing every middle school, JV, and Varsity games at the table I never heard of this coming up.

Who is it up to? Thanks,

Ben
Quite frankly, it's none of the officials' concern how long the quarters are at the subvarsity level. Some conferences play 7 minutes, and others play 8.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

hoorah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Some conferences play 7 minutes, and others play 8.
Some play 6 - at least around here.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 09:24am
Medium Kahuna

Sub-varsity NEVER has 8 minute quarters in my state. JV is always 7, frosh is 6 or 7 (6 whenever possible for me).

One frosh girls game, I talked the table into 6 minute quarters for the first half, and the coaches got together and changed to 7 minutes for the second half.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 09:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Sub-varsity NEVER has 8 minute quarters in my state. JV is always 7, frosh is 6 or 7 (6 whenever possible for me).

One frosh girls game, I talked the table into 6 minute quarters for the first half, and the coaches got together and changed to 7 minutes for the second half.
And the universe didn't collapse.

Weird.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 09:30am
TODO: creative title here

MN does halves, not quarters:
18 min for Varsity
16 min for JV
14 min for 9th grade
12 min for 7th/8th

I've had a few exceptions to this... 12 minute 9th grade game with a 14 minute JV game on a night when the start of the 9th grade game was delayed 45 minutes due to bus-stuck-in-traffic issues, for example.

Also, one school up here does a "5th quarter" for their 9th grade games: 8 minute running time and they add an extra $8 into our game checks. Yes, I think I can work for an extra dollar per minute, thank you very much.

Last edited by jTheUmp; Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 09:33am.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Let them play 8 minute quarters. Either don't officiate for the last minute of each quarter, or (better), just leave at the 4 minute mark of the last quarter. That will show them who is boss, and your officiating career will skyrocket.

-OR-

Work the game graciously, and contact your assigner afterwards to seek clarification.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Some states mandate the quarter length. In Missouri, JV can play 6, 7, or 8. Freshmen can play 6 or 7. JH plays 6.

All OT is 2 minutes if the quarters are anything other than 8 minutes.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 10:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Around here, there's no standard except within a given league. Most JV games are 8 minute quarters. I've had two JV games shortened to 6 minute quarters, one due to tight scheduling, the other at the coach's request last minute as he had about 10 total players between his JV and varsity teams.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quite frankly, it's none of the officials' concern how long the quarters are at the subvarsity level. Some conferences play 7 minutes, and others play 8.
We get paid $45 for 6 minute Quarters $50 for 7 minute Quarters.

So, it is our business here.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 10:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
We get paid $45 for 6 minute Quarters $50 for 7 minute Quarters.

So, it is our business here.
It's not your business to tell the teams what to play, though. If they play 7, collect $50.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

The other week at my school, they changed two middle school games to 3 middle school games. Granted they shortened the quarters and warm up times of the games, but it still went an hour and half longer than normal. The referees were not real happy about the extra time for no extra pay, nor was I at the scoring table.

I have an email into the AD for clarification. I totally understand that it is Freshman level basketball and records don't truly matter.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
The other week at my school, they changed two middle school games to 3 middle school games. Granted they shortened the quarters and warm up times of the games, but it still went an hour and half longer than normal. The referees were not real happy about the extra time for no extra pay, nor was I at the scoring table.

I have an email into the AD for clarification. I totally understand that it is Freshman level basketball and records don't truly matter.
Now that seems like dirty pool. It's one thing to change the parameters of one game, that's within their purview. But to add games without notification? Did they at least politely ask the refs to stay for the extra game or just assumed they would? What if one had a conflict?
Old Wed Feb 06, 2013, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's not your business to tell the teams what to play, though. If they play 7, collect $50.
Yes, they choose. Most choose 7 minutes and we are good with that.