The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3 man pay vs 2 man pay (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/93893-3-man-pay-vs-2-man-pay.html)

yooperbballref Tue Feb 05, 2013 03:24pm

3 man pay vs 2 man pay

Im curious to hear what other places do for a 3 man crew in other areas. Where I live the pay scale for the most part is all 2 man and if a crew brings 3 refs then the pay is broken up 3 ways with no added money. (no assignors up here, we schedule our own games)

This is starting to cause some tension between refs and local AD's that won't pay a 3 man crew. I know of some people that will not ref at certain schools for that reason, but as said above there are not many schools that pay a full 3 man crew. (about 3 or 4 in a 100 mile radius)

What do schools do in your areas for 3 man crews?

kk13 Tue Feb 05, 2013 03:46pm

Pretty much all the schools in the Omaha and Lincoln areas use 3-man crews. Pay per official is anywhere from $65-80 depending on the school. Most pay $70.

Scratch85 Tue Feb 05, 2013 03:51pm

Pay ranges from $60 to $75. $70 is most common. The State Association pays 55 +mileage for post season.

yooperbballref Tue Feb 05, 2013 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk13 (Post 877213)
Pretty much all the schools in the Omaha and Lincoln areas use 3-man crews. Pay per official is anywhere from $65-80 depending on the school. Most pay $70.

Maybe ill move to Nebraska.... Up here for varsity 2 man crew its 50 each, so a 3 man it ends up being 34 a person. (they are nice enough to throw an extra 2 dollars in there)

JRutledge Tue Feb 05, 2013 03:53pm

Not much of an issue. Very few if any use 2 man. But I worked a 2 man game this year and I got paid $65 for that game. I can get that for a 3 man game and often get that amount based on the conference (pay is usually based on the conference not the the school).

Peace

zm1283 Tue Feb 05, 2013 03:53pm

Pay is the same here whether you're working with two or three. Our association assigns most games. Officials can take tournament games on their own if the schools want to assign those themselves outside of the association, but the pay is still the same.

packersowner Tue Feb 05, 2013 04:04pm

Around here, Varsity level uses 3 man - sub-varsity levels use 2 man. So by that, V games pay around $65, sub-varsity $55.

A lot of officials have been commenting lately that they would rather work 2 games, JV/V double headers with a 3 man crew and make $120 for the night. Right now, if you work a doubleheader with a 2 man crew (sub-varsity) and a 3 man crew (varsity), the pay is discounted for the second game, something like $90 for both. Normally, the varsity crew only works the varsity game.

Right now a school pays:

2 Man JV Crew - $110
3 Man V Crew - $195
Total - $305

If they went to one 3 man crew for both:
$360

To me, even though its $55 more for the school - I think it would help get more officials varsity experience, especially working 3 man crew and help clean up JV games which is where I see the most of the altercations happen.

Welpe Tue Feb 05, 2013 04:08pm

It's the same here either way. $55 per official for varsity plus mileage for two officials and a $10 rider fee for a third. Private schools pay a flat fee that's higher ($70 I believe).

yooperbballref Tue Feb 05, 2013 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 877221)
To me, even though its $55 more for the school - I think it would help get more officials varsity experience, especially working 3 man crew and help clean up JV games which is where I see the most of the altercations happen.

I hate to disagree with a fellow Packer owner, but I see it the other way around. By people doing refs JV and V games then that means there is less of an opportunity for a young ref who is not yet ready for V action to get games.

CMHCoachNRef Tue Feb 05, 2013 04:31pm

In the Buckeye State things vary some, but in Central Ohio Varsity is always three-person that pays anywhere from $57 to $63. There are two conferences that participate in a "mentoring" program within which the FR/JV doubleheaders are scheduled with three-person crews -- usually the crews work in front of the same varsity crews. The pay for the FR/JV games for three-person varies slightly from $77 to $87 for the DH. The other leagues all use two-person for FR/JV. I believe that their pay ranges from about $80 to $90 for the DH.

The "mentoring" program provides aspiring new referees the opportunity to learn three-person mechanics for one to three or four years at the FR/JV level before moving up to Varsity.

Welpe Tue Feb 05, 2013 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef (Post 877231)

The "mentoring" program provides aspiring new referees the opportunity to learn three-person mechanics for one to three or four years at the FR/JV level before moving up to Varsity.

Shame we can't adopt that here.

packersowner Tue Feb 05, 2013 04:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yooperbballref (Post 877225)
I hate to disagree with a fellow Packer owner, but I see it the other way around. By people doing refs JV and V games then that means there is less of an opportunity for a young ref who is not yet ready for V action to get games.

I guess it depends where you are working. Some places are in dire need of officials and ones that can work varsity games. Others have a plethora. However, you could look at it a different way too.

Some guys are working 5 - 6 nights week making $65/game, for a total of $325 - $390 per week. You essentially could do the same thing working 3 - 4 nights a week for $330 - $440. That would open up a couple of more nights for other guys, plus one might also say this keeps officials fresher since they are not working every night.

I am not arguing one way or the other - I think they are lots of valid reasons to have different crews, work more nights, schools wanting a varsity only crew, etc. I am just looking at it from the economics.

I personally, would rather work 2 nights a week and work a JV/V doubleheader than work 4 nights and miss all of the chatter on here :)

WDEvol Tue Feb 05, 2013 04:54pm

Rates set by the state in Alabama:

Varsity 3-man: $40.00/game per official
JV 3-man: $35.00/game per official
JV 2-man: $40.00/game per official
9th grade & under 3-man: $30.00/game per official
9th grade & under 2-man: $35.00/game per official

In 99% of cases, officials will have at least 2 games per assignment. Oftentimes a 3-man crew will call 3 games (JV, VG, VB). In that case, that's $115.00 per night per official, plus mileage.

In our area (not sure about other parts of the state), we go 3-man for every varsity game and 2-man for every junior high game. I've seen JV done both ways.

BillyMac Tue Feb 05, 2013 04:58pm

Connecticut, The Land That Time Forgot ...

What is this three man crew that you speak of?

JRutledge Tue Feb 05, 2013 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 877240)
What is this three man crew that you speak of?

That is what many are saying about the group you belong to. ;)

Peace