The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

A new one for me.

Tonight, working BV on a college floor, 2-person. Lots of long runs, lots of transition basketball -- loved it. All courts should be 94 feet long, but I digress.

Saw something new tonight, though. Shooter fouled on a 3-point attempt. I bounce the ball to the free throw shooter, who catches the ball behind the line, walks through the line, and stops at the white volleyball line two feet in front of the free throw line.

Never seen that in a varsity game, probably never will again.

We also had the scorer record a visitors timeout on the home side of the book and when the visitors used their 4th timeout, I knew they only had one left and so did the PA announcer and timer, both of whom were keeping track of such things and told the scorer, who found his mistake rather quickly. I'm usually pretty good with timeouts and I could've easily told anyone the situation during which each of the timeouts were called.

This caused a bit of a problem, as when the scorer tried correcting the book, the visiting coach became unhappy. He got our attention and we got it resolved quickly, albeit not to the coach's liking. Like I said to my partner afterwards -- he had at least 3 assistants on the bench and one of them should've been keeping track. I also heard the visiting coach say they had nobody keeping a book -- could they get a copy of the home book after the game was over -- perhaps one of the assistants should've kept one.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Rich-a visiting team not having a scorekeeper is more than welcome to copy into their book my record of the game afterword if they just ask.Never seen anything remotely close to the player stepping up to the volleyball line for a free throw.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 12:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Rich-a visiting team not having a scorekeeper is more than welcome to copy into their book my record of the game afterword if they just ask.Never seen anything remotely close to the player stepping up to the volleyball line for a free throw.
Of course. But if they had someone keeping a book, the coach would've known how many timeouts he had left. I think he realized after all this went down that he had used 4, but he probably still thinks he should get an extra one due to the book's mistake.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Saw something new tonight, though. Shooter fouled on a 3-point attempt. I bounce the ball to the free throw shooter, who catches the ball behind the line, walks through the line, and stops at the white volleyball line two feet in front of the free throw line.

Did you call a violation or direct him to the correct line and start over?
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All courts should be 94 feet long, but I digress.
Yeah, you go right on ahead and keep thinking that
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 01:07am
Get away from me, Steve.

One more oddity.

A1 had the ball in two hands and B10 reached out and got nothing but basketball (it was quite obvious that the only thing touched was the basketball) -- the force of him trying to knock the ball out of the player's hands apparently put A1 off balance and he went to the floor while still possessing the ball.

Weird, dude.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 10:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

Rich (and others) - our local kids rec league plays most of its games on middle school courts which are marked for a bunch of other games including volleyball and indoor soccer. Prior to each game, we point out the OOB lines and the lane lines to both teams and we indicate the free throw line when we go to shoot the first free throws for each team.

Our 3rd and 4th graders play in elementary school gyms and there's even more lines to deal with! We're a little more lenient at that level.

BTW - we have a "no dunking" rule. All we'd need is for some HS kid to pull down a rim at a MS. We'd have to pay for it. However, it's not a problem at the 3rd and 4th grade level.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 11:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Rich (and others) - our local kids rec league plays most of its games on middle school courts which are marked for a bunch of other games including volleyball and indoor soccer. Prior to each game, we point out the OOB lines and the lane lines to both teams and we indicate the free throw line when we go to shoot the first free throws for each team.

Our 3rd and 4th graders play in elementary school gyms and there's even more lines to deal with! We're a little more lenient at that level.

BTW - we have a "no dunking" rule. All we'd need is for some HS kid to pull down a rim at a MS. We'd have to pay for it. However, it's not a problem at the 3rd and 4th grade level.
If I was working a middle school game, I probably would've laughed, hit the whistle, took the ball back, and reset the shooter.

The kid had 20 minutes to warm up. He took the ball behind the line. I called the violation and moved on to the second shot. In that split second, all I could think of was, "How am I going to explain this to the other coach and sound credible?" It was a *varsity* HS game, after all.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I was working a middle school game, I probably would've laughed, hit the whistle, took the ball back, and reset the shooter.

The kid had 20 minutes to warm up. He took the ball behind the line. I called the violation and moved on to the second shot. In that split second, all I could think of was, "How am I going to explain this to the other coach and sound credible?" It was a *varsity* HS game, after all.
I've worked some 'varsity' games at small, private out of they way schools over the years. I'm somewhat surprised at the lack of knowledge many players have regarding the seemingly simplest of basketball protocols i.e. inbounding after a made basket, lining up for free throws, etc.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 11:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

My partner joked at halftime that "if you had told them that we were playing the black line all around..."

That would've extended my captain's meeting beyond 11 seconds, though, and made me "That Guy" all at the same time.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2-person... Lots of long runs, lots of transition basketball -- loved it. All courts should be 94 feet long
Well, you are obviously in good shape and love to run and the challenge of "not getting beat"...

Quote:
I'm usually pretty good with timeouts and I could've easily told anyone the situation during which each of the timeouts were called.
...then you are definetly a better man than me...wow...
each TO? And each situation? easily? Good job!
(I can't even remember the "speaking" captain's numbers...that's one of the reason's I don't even ask, and the fact that any player can speak to me.)

Quote:
In that split second, all I could think of was, "How am I going to explain this to the other coach and sound credible?" It was a *varsity* HS game, after all.
I guess I am a little slow today, Rich...what do you mean by this? The other coach?
Richland, WA
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
I guess I am a little slow today, Rich...what do you mean by this? The other coach?
suppose he "reset" and pointed out the correct line? How would the "defensive" coach react?
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 12:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Well, you are obviously in good shape and love to run and the challenge of "not getting beat"...
I've not always been. Lost quite a bit of weight five years ago and have worked pretty hard to be in better shape. I let a few pounds get back on, but am working to lose those and a few more.

I find it harder to start-stop-start-stop. I'd much rather be in a game where I do more running.

Quote:
...then you are definetly a better man than me...wow...
each TO? And each situation? easily? Good job!
(I can't even remember the "speaking" captain's numbers...that's one of the reason's I don't even ask, and the fact that any player can speak to me.)
Not always, but last night the visiting coach burned 2 30s in the first quarter (which I found odd) and then called one during a run by the visiting team early in the third. Then they wasted one on a loose ball scramble where the coach asked for one, which I found curious because they'd have to play the last 10-12 minutes of the game with one timeout left. So I knew they had called four. I'm not always that on top of it.

Quote:
I could easily explain to the kid's coach that he violated. I'm supported there, by rule. And they had 20 minutes to warm up on the court.

The home coach was yelling (and quite frankly, caused me to look up from the L position -- the T and I both hit our whistles at the same time and came into the lane) for the violation and I really didn't have a good explanation why I was going ignore the violation and reset the shooter. I had a few seconds to evaluate the situation and decided to go with the violation.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2013, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a few seconds to evaluate the situation and decided to go with the violation.
Gottcha...thanks.
Richland, WA